Crash at OnSTOC! :(

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
That's right, folks, ol' Peppermint had a nasty get-off yesterday morning.
I'm amazingly ok for someone who had a motorcycle flip and land on top of her; nothing broken. Badly bruised left shoulder blade, 2nd and 3rd degree burns on upper left arm from the exhaust, small patches of road rash on my left elbow and knee, lots of bruises everywhere. The worst part is the shoulder blade, same effect as cracked ribs; coughing and sneezing are no fun, sleeping is uncomfortable. But I'm walking, talking and smiling.

Honestly don't know what the heck happened. There were 7 bikes, I was in 4th position. We were riding a twisty back road, me with a brand new PR2 rear tire, just installed the day before. I was riding fine, when all of a sudden I lost traction on a turn and low-sided, then high-sided. Was catapulted over an embankment and down into an area of sand, brush, grass and rather large trees. I landed first with a helluva thud; a second later, the bike landed on top of me. I was pinned under it for what seemed like an eternity, while the rider behind
me (nippongreen - Keith) frantically searched through the brush; I was so far down he couldn't see me. I was conscious, the pipe was burning my arm through my jacket, my scapula hurt so bad it was hard to breathe and I was hollering at the top of my lungs so that Keith would find me. Once he got to me, he lifted the bike enough for me to roll out from under it, but I was dazed and wearing earplugs and couldn't understand what he wanted me to do. I finally heard him desperately bellow "F...ING ROLL!!", so that's what I did. The volunteer firefighters came, then the ambulance; they cut off my jacket, got my helmet off, strapped me to a backboard and took me on a bumpy ride (ouch!) to ER. I was released just a few hours later. The Ontario Provincial Police constables who took my statement and those of witnesses deemed that no excessive speed or reckless driving was involved, so no charges were laid.

I guess I'll never know what really happened. Did the new tire combined with patchy, transition pavement do me in? No idea. Did the uneven pavement spook me, causing me to go a little wide in the turn, lean too far over to compensate and low-side? Very possibly. One thing's for the sure: the gear saved me from worse injury; probably saved my life. The bike has surprisingly little damage.

Be careful out there my friends.

Patty

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
(((((Patty))))) glad you and Scarlett are mendable and will pray for a complete recovery. The scapula will take at least 3 weeks for the pain to go away. DAMHIKT!!!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Youch..... Sorry to hear of this off.... so glad you are here to tell the story.....

Heal quick and rest up, take whatever pain meds you need to get through and do what the physio terrorists say to restore movement range and strength of affected parts!!!!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Glad you are well enough to post.

How many miles on the new tire. I always take it really easy the first few hundred miles on new rubber. Personally I have been in a full lock slide on a corner because I pushed a new tire too far too soon. Not saying this is it for sure but it is possible it is a contributing factor if nothing else.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Patty

Bad news you crashed. It might have been that new tire not scrubbed in enough. Good to hear you are going to be OK.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well geesh.... Hope you feel better quickly Patty, not how the weekend needed to start but, as is the case most of the time, it could have ended much worse.

I would place my bets on the new tire. I try to get at least 200 miles on a tire before pushing it in the twisties which is pretty easy living in this part of TX.

Try to get some rest and not beat yourself up about this, you're still here.. keep us updated.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you are generally OK and your humor was uninjured.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Heal fast Patty! Well wishes coming your way.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Not what I wanted to read after coming off a two-day ride. Glad you are well enough to post and be in general good spirits. Prayers for a quick recovery!

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I'm sure glad you're well enough to post. Take care and I hope you heal quickly.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
((((Patty)))) this is NOT what we wanted to hear but GLAD that you can post. Wishing you a very quickly healing and that the pain will subside very soon. My thoughts are prayers are with you during your recovery. Wish I lived closer so I could do something for you but Texas is a long ways away so will just have to settle for previous sentence.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to hear about the crash Patty!! Hopefully the burn heals quick and the bike is easily repairable.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Patty! What a true motorcyclist you are! How many do you know would make sure their motorcycle had a soft landing? :eek:4:

Glad that you are walking , talking and what seems to be keeping your humor. Hope you heal soon! (((((Patty)))))

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Well dang, sorry to hear this but sending good "heal quick" vibes. Glad neither you nor the bike were too badly injured.

Top Bottom