Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's those darn directional arrows...

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: It's those darn directional arrows...

Mine has been mounted backwards for 15k miles. The belts aren't oriented any specific way- forward or backward- its just that the tread is designed to handle traction forces differently. If its on the rear, it does mostly accelerating, with very little braking (the front tire does most of the braking). But when mounted in the front, the only forces will be for braking, which will have an opposite pull then when in the rear (acceleration forces), which is why I mounted mine backwards.

Oh, and I've seen plenty of rain, including riding across Maine during a record rainstorm, including passing over semi-flooded roads, and haven't felt any reduction in traction. It clears water just fine. I doubt there would be any problem mounting it either direction. If it would make you feel better, turn it around...my next one will be mounted backwards just like this one. But that probably won't be for another 5-10k miles (man, I love the BT45 on the front!!!)
    Proud member of the Dark Side. 205/50ZR17 Hankook
    IBA #47373
    MY BLOG

Blacksheep Tribal Member
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2004 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    +1

If it makes you feel any better Ron, I mounted mine backwards for this very reason. I understand that there are gobs of threads over on the GW forums debating this very topic. We can crash and burn together...
    Given the news of this week, I laugh, Scott, but given the passing of Curt, it's a bit restrained... No more bad news this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
    One thing no one mentioned is that the sipes may not clear water very efficiently from under the tire if it's mounted backward. If you don't ride in wet weather that may not be an issue but if you get caught out, you'll want to take it very cautiously, particularly if there is any standing water.
    I thought of that, the sipes direct the water out from the middle when going forward when the tire is mounted backwards. I took a close look... That's why I thought it would be ok, to leave it alone. I took some pictures... Bridgestone should just put a darn plain arrow on the side... Not some goofy graphic that somewhat looks like an arrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040016.JPG   P1040017.JPG   P1040019.JPG  
    Ron

1. 2004 Honda ST 1300,
    2. Restored 1978 Honda GL 1000,
    3. 2000 Suzuki DRZ 400 dual sport,
    4. 1976 Honda CB750A "Hondamatic" restoration

IBA# 21271

Bike
    03 ST 1300
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

One thing no one mentioned is that the sipes may not clear water very efficiently from under the tire if it's mounted backward. If you don't ride in wet weather that may not be an issue but if you get caught out, you'll want to take it very cautiously, particularly if there is any standing water.
    Do you have evidence of this? A rear tire is pushing the bike forward and there for forcing the water out. On the front the tire is being pushed and the reverse mounting makes sense, the force of the road will disperse the water. No I do not have evidence, just my thought of the physics of how the tire is reacting with the road surface. No one will go out on a limb from a manufacturers point of view to say which is correct.

Face it guys, many have lost traction on motorcycle tires mounted 100% as the manufacturer says it should. Do you blame them when that happens, or do you say operator error?

Trust which ever camp you like. Then go out and ride, understanding no matter how great the tire is, you have to be careful when riding in the rain or you are pushing the limits of your setup.

CT on the rear and Rear M/C on the fornt with reverse rotation for me. No issues, so far. Then again, I had no issues on M/C tires either.
    Kevin Elliott

2003 ST1300
    STOC # 6495
    IBA # 39340

Ventura Highway
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_56 View Post
    Do you have evidence of this?
    Of course not! That's why I used the word "may". I do know that tread designers consider rotation direction with respect to water clearance. Of course this depends on how "directional" the tread design of any particular tire is. You can buy both directional and non-directional cage tires for example.

Blacksheep Tribal Member
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2004 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_56 View Post
    Do you have evidence of this? A rear tire is pushing the bike forward and there for forcing the water out. On the front the tire is being pushed and the reverse mounting makes sense, the force of the road will disperse the water. No I do not have evidence, just my thought of the physics of how the tire is reacting with the road surface. No one will go out on a limb from a manufacturers point of view to say which is correct.
    Face it guys, many have lost traction on motorcycle tires mounted 100% as the manufacturer says it should. Do you blame them when that happens, or do you say operator error? Trust which ever camp you like. Then go out and ride, understanding no matter how great the tire is, you have to be careful when riding in the rain or you are pushing the limits of your setup. CT on the rear and Rear M/C on the fornt with reverse rotation for me. No issues, so far. Then again, I had no issues on M/C tires either.
    Oh yeah?? What about knobbies??

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    My Gallery

You're going to be just fine, Froggie, don't sweat it. I have mine mounted according to the arrow and 970Mike has his backward like yours. When you start to catch Casey Stoner check back with us, we may have a different answer for you. M-m-H-m-m-m! If your bike were brand new and you had the BT45 on the front you would only need 8 tires for the life of the motorcycle.

I do know that tread designers consider rotation direction with respect to water clearance. Of course this depends on how "directional" the tread design of any particular tire is. You can buy both directional and non-directional cage tires for example.
    I've always subscribed to that idea too until I saw the tread pattern on a FRONT Michelin PRII. That makes me scratch my head! Seems it would scoop water under the center of the tread as it rolls down the road.
    Last edited by Dinkie Diesel; 06-20-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    The missing link
    Did you ever get the feeling the world is a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?
    I know I'm getting old, I was in Las Vegas last week playing the slot machines and 3 prunes popped up!

Bike
    03 ST 1300
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Of course this depends on how "directional" the tread design of any particular tire is.
    Yes you stated "may" Sorry that I misread your post.

Provided that you put a rear on the rear and a front on the front. As far as I have read, no tire manufacturer has stated their recomendation of rotation for a rear on the front, so I guess it is the "Plane on a Conveyor Belt" No matter how hard either camp states their "evidence", it is still up to each one of us to decide. I by no means say my way is the way to mount the tire, just that I will reverse my tire till actual proof is provided due to my take on the forces on the tire.

Kevin

Bike
    '00 ST1100-P
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by nhdiesel View Post
    Mine has been mounted backwards for 15k miles. The belts aren't oriented any specific way- forward or backward- its just that the tread is designed to handle traction forces differently. If its on the rear, it does mostly accelerating, with very little braking (the front tire does most of the braking). But when mounted in the front, the only forces will be for braking, which will have an opposite pull then when in the rear (acceleration forces), which is why I mounted mine backwards.

Oh, and I've seen plenty of rain, including riding across Maine during a record rainstorm, including passing over semi-flooded roads, and haven't felt any reduction in traction. It clears water just fine. I doubt there would be any problem mounting it either direction. If it would make you feel better, turn it around...my next one will be mounted backwards just like this one. But that probably won't be for another 5-10k miles (man, I love the BT45 on the front!!!)
    Personally I would mount it backwards too, for the reasons above.

As for the tread patterns, I doubt that there will be any difference in how it clears water. Tyres all have different patterns and all clear the water OK, I think it's more about how they look than anything. Just my opinion.

Blacksheep Tribal Member
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2004 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkie Diesel View Post
    ... I've always subscribed to that idea too until I saw the tread pattern on a FRONT Michelin PRII. That makes me scratch my head! Seems it would scoop water under the center of the tread as it rolls down the road.
    Me too! I gotta take a shower soon...

In all seriousness though, I didn't know you fellers mounted the front tire backwards on purpose, when putting a rear tire on the front. Just looking at the posts here, I guess it's a tossup, but no big deal...
    Last edited by skidlid1300; 06-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Ventura Highway
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkie Diesel View Post
    I've always subscribed to that idea too until I saw the tread pattern on a FRONT Michelin PRII. That makes me scratch my head! Seems it would scoop water under the center of the tread as it rolls down the road.
    If you think about the tread pattern upside down, as when it is in contact the road, you can see that the sipes will face rearward, expelling/pumping the water back and away from the center of the tread. If you turn it around, the water must be forced forward to exit from between the tire and the road and it seems it would tend to collect more toward the center of the tire. Remember the old Metzeler Lazer front tires? The pattern always looked backward to me in the recommended direction until you turn it upside down and think about the tread orientation when in road contact.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast