Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST1100 - Broken Seat Hook Latch fix

Bike
    91 Silver ST
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

ST1100 - Broken Seat Hook Latch fix

Needed to replace broken seat hook latch on 91 ST1100 I thought I would have to remove the rear fender and many many other parts, but decided I wasn't going to do that. I managed to get the new lock in and attached to the cable with only removing the seat. Yeah me!

Also installed new BMW grips

Going to try and upload pictures of Seat Latch install or removal I figure if I was going to ever ask for help on this forum I better become a contributing member!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    My Gallery

Re: Success!

Nice going! My 1100 had the beemer grips too (courtesy of the PO) and I had them imprinted in my hands the day I rode it home! (hanging on for dear life in 35mph sidewinds!)

That seat latch isn't easy to get to, care to share how you did it?

Bike
    1991 SSMST1100
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Re: Success! Fixed broken seat hook latch

Congrats, fellow SSMSTrider!

FWIW, here's some good info on seat latches:
    http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3745.0

For all you ST1100 owners, have a good look at your latch. You want that bolt holding the latch to be nice-n-tight!
    Last edited by John OoSTerhuis; 06-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    John OoSTerhuis, STOC 1058, 1991 SSMST1100 - The Grey GhOOST (now @ 169K)
    Multi-task: check out: ST-Riders - The LiST

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    91 Silver ST
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Re: Success!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    Nice going! My 1100 had the beemer grips too (courtesy of the PO) and I had them imprinted in my hands the day I rode it home! (hanging on for dear life in 35mph sidewinds!)

That seat latch isn't easy to get to, care to share how you did it?
    Once I determined the cable was intact and working I also determined that I would not be able to insert the cable end into the new latch from under the cross member and that the cable end needed to come out from under the cross member.

I took a small inspection mirror to see how the cable was attached and saw that it is simply a U-shape type bracket that the cable is pressed into and I managed to get the cable end out from under the cross member.

Next I took the new latch and inserted the end the cable attaches to first under the cross member on the extreme right side as you sit on the bike. You have to rotate the latch while inserting it. The reason you can connect the cable to the latch from under the cross member is the part that connects to the cable rotates and you can get this part to stick out from under the cross member while the latch is under the cross member.

Next I inserted the cable into the latch and pushed everything under the cross member lining up the bolt hole and alignment pin of the latch and installing the bolt. With the latch installed I pressed the cable back into the bracket making sure the cable did not become disconnected from the latch. Before placing the seat back on I made sure the mechanism worked using the key and the cable stayed connected.

Caution: there are four parts to the latch and it can come apart quite easily.

Hope this makes sense.

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    My Gallery

Thanks for your reply, and with the info in the posts that John O provided, it seems pretty clear to me! Think you could take it apart again and post some photos for us? It would really help another member in the future!

Thanks again!

Dave

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    91 Silver ST
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    Thanks for your reply, and with the info in the posts that John O provided, it seems pretty clear to me! Think you could take it apart again and post some photos for us? It would really help another member in the future! Thanks again! Dave
    DaveyB, I will have to think about that one as not the easiest area to work in.

Bike
    01 ST1100
    Tip Overs:
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

I have re-installed the latch when the bolt fell out (long time ago and far, far from here.) The bolt had rolled down onto the molded lip on top of the fender, just a question of lining it all back up and tightening it down. The REAL trick was getting the seat off with the floating latch not cooperating.
    George
    "Live Every Moment,,, Love Every Day,,, Because,,, Before you know it,,, Your Precious Time Slips Away... ---REO Speedwagon, via ACL

Check my albums Picasa

My Gallery

I had the cable come adrift on mine. I suspect when the dual seat conversion was done that the cable end was not properly clicked into the bracket at the latch end.

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    My Gallery

Nice job, thank you for taking the time to do that and share it with us !!

Bike
    st 1100
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Thanks for the thread. I thought I had lost some parts but after reading the thread.......... I looked and found them, right where they had been riding for about two years! Now it's all back in place and locking again. Now I can replace the old seat without worrying about a new Corbin coming up missing!

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast