Article [11] ST1100 - Broken Seat Hook Latch fix

Bike
91 Silver ST
STOC #
Needed to replace broken seat hook latch on 91 ST1100 I thought I would have to remove the rear fender and many many other parts, but decided I wasn't going to do that. I managed to get the new lock in and attached to the cable with only removing the seat. Yeah me!

Also installed new BMW grips :)

Going to try and upload pictures of Seat Latch install or removal I figure if I was going to ever ask for help on this forum I better become a contributing member!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
kfostermt
Bike
91 Silver ST
STOC #
Re: Success!

Nice going! My 1100 had the beemer grips too (courtesy of the PO) and I had them imprinted in my hands the day I rode it home! (hanging on for dear life in 35mph sidewinds!)

That seat latch isn't easy to get to, care to share how you did it?
Once I determined the cable was intact and working I also determined that I would not be able to insert the cable end into the new latch from under the cross member and that the cable end needed to come out from under the cross member.

I took a small inspection mirror to see how the cable was attached and saw that it is simply a U-shape type bracket that the cable is pressed into and I managed to get the cable end out from under the cross member.

Next I took the new latch and inserted the end the cable attaches to first under the cross member on the extreme right side as you sit on the bike. You have to rotate the latch while inserting it. The reason you can connect the cable to the latch from under the cross member is the part that connects to the cable rotates and you can get this part to stick out from under the cross member while the latch is under the cross member.

Next I inserted the cable into the latch and pushed everything under the cross member lining up the bolt hole and alignment pin of the latch and installing the bolt. With the latch installed I pressed the cable back into the bracket making sure the cable did not become disconnected from the latch. Before placing the seat back on I made sure the mechanism worked using the key and the cable stayed connected.

Caution: there are four parts to the latch and it can come apart quite easily.

Hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
kfostermt
Bike
91 Silver ST
STOC #
Re: Success! Fixed broken seat hook latch

Thanks for your reply, and with the info in the posts that John O provided, it seems pretty clear to me! Think you could take it apart again and post some photos for us? It would really help another member in the future! Thanks again! Dave
DaveyB, I will have to think about that one as not the easiest area to work in.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I have re-installed the latch when the bolt fell out (long time ago and far, far from here.) The bolt had rolled down onto the molded lip on top of the fender, just a question of lining it all back up and tightening it down. The REAL trick was getting the seat off with the floating latch not cooperating. :D

I had the cable come adrift on mine. I suspect when the dual seat conversion was done that the cable end was not properly clicked into the bracket at the latch end.

Bike
st 1100

Thanks for the thread. I thought I had lost some parts but after reading the thread.......... I looked and found them, right where they had been riding for about two years! Now it's all back in place and locking again. Now I can replace the old seat without worrying about a new Corbin coming up missing!

Bike
2003 ST1100

HELLO ALL, new to the forum, perhaps you can help as my seat cable has come adrift and i cant get the seat off! Looks like a cutting job into the mudguard below unless someone can help me out!???

Bike
VStrom 650
I know this is an old thread and I'm sure Cookie isn't holding his breath for a response.
I had the same thing happen and it's a nightmare, but you can remove all the plastics, guards etc with Seat in place, but it's not easy. I know.
All ST1100 riders should do a quick winter job just in case it happens to them. My solution was to drill a hole about one inch to the rear and slightly to the left behind the seat cross member/latch bracket through the mudguard. This allows access to the underside of the latch mechanism and should it fall off again you can reach through with a pair of long nose pliers and hey presto.
To finish things off nicely fit an automotive rubber grommet in the hole to keep it watertight, you need a good tight fit so drill the hole about 2 or 3 mm smaller than grommet. Hole size is about 25 mm, or 1 inch.
No one will know it's there once there's a bit of road dirt on it so it should be secure enough.
Hope it helps,
Upt'North.

Re: Success!

Great post, thank you.
How did you get the cable loose from the u-shaped bracket (under the cross ember)? What tool did you use and how did you get the tool to the u-shaped bracket? Thank you

Top Bottom