ST1300 Stalling Issue

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Doesn't the crankcase vent plug into the bottom of the airbox? Maybe some oil residue from that source??
Yes it does. That is why I was thinking it might be possible to get some oil sludge in there. Not real likely but it is the only source I can think of for something that is grease like that would get into those vac lines. I know mine have been free and clear whenever I inspected them. That was last done about 5K miles ago now when I installed the cruise.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well the parts came in today. I still have a little over 1/2 tank so I need to burn fuel for a few days. With being off for the 4th I should be empty by Thursday so that should work out. I think I will have some time to work on this over the weekend.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Dave, not ride much this year 116,000 miles. I have to stay around home take care of my dad.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well I rode the 1100 to work today. I am off at noon and might start on it. The 1300 is down to one bar and range to empty was showing 45 miles. Depending on how hot it is out there will depend on if I start it today. It is supposed to cool off this weekend so I might wait. Or I could fire up the AC.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The new fuel pump is in place as is the new fuel filter and fuel return line filter. I haven't started the bike yet. There was a little sediment in the bottom of the tank. Nothing that would cause an issue. It was interesting that there was some sediment on the bottom of the intake pre-filter. That is interesting as that sits inside a rubber boot to protect it. I had to reuse it so I cleaned it and flushed it with clean gas. I did a blow test on the new vs old filter. The new one was like blowing on a straw. The old one wasn't completely blocked but way more resistance. That can be expected with the age and nearly 100K miles on it. Not saying this was the issue. Since bumping my idle up I haven't had a single stall. I plan on bringing it back down to around the 1000 RPM where it should be and do some testing. If it stalls out on me more I will just bump it back up until I can do the FPR or I will disconnect the cruise and hook up a vac gauge and go for a ride. I can access it by pulling the inner cowl on the right side. At least I think I can reach it.

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. TwinPine came over and we are working on his bike before NASTOC.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I am not closing out this issue yet however. Fresh tank of gas in the bike today and took it to work. Idle is set back down to 1000 RPM. The bike ran like a top. Feels a little smoother and MPG seems a little higher. I normally get 40-45 and I was seeing 45-50 today. So I will have to ride it some more and see what long term testing does. No stalling today but there are times I went a couple days between issues so we will see how the week plays out.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Hmm during today's ride to work I am still seeing slightly elevated MPG numbers. I did notice at two stops that the RPMs did dip to 500 however there was no stalling.

So good and bad results. I think I will consider the FPR swap but if it keeps running I won't make it a priority. It may wait until the winter mod cycle. So far continuing to test with idle set to 1000 RPM.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Actually I do. I have been busy and didn't have a chance to dig up the post. The stalling issue has returned. One stall Tuesday night when I was running around and one stall this morning on the way into work. MPG is still higher. This morning when I got to work I pulled out the screwdriver and bumped up the idle to about 1250. I am going to see if that changes anything. I know it ran great at 1500 but I think that was a bit higher than I needed to go. I got thinking that my issue might be heat related but when it died this morning the IAT on the bike was 69*.

It is very common that fuel is used to cool a fuel pump. In my eyes there are lots of reasons to not run on empty.

1. fuel pump over heats
2. you can pick up more crap
3. More issues with water condensation in the tank with big temp swings.
4. I like to be able to jump in any vehicle and be able to go 100 miles at least before needing gas. I hate getting ready to go somewhere at the last minute to find out I now need gas.

With the ST I rarely get below 2 bars unless I am doing it for a reason like pulling the upper tank. Other than the initial investment of a full tank of gas it costs the same to run around with a full or nearly full tank as one on fumes.

Once things settle down a bit. Going camping this weekend and having a party at our place next weekend, I will then be able to run it low on fuel again and swap the FPR.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well time for another update.

Today I swapped out the Turbo City Fuel Pressure Regulator. The OEM is back in there. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet though. I may have to wait until Monday before getting out on the bike.

I also cut open the fuel filter. Here is what it looked like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have been having this trouble also. I did have the FI code that was to be a Mapsensor but cleaning the contact and the 5 way tee wiped out the code. It has only happened a few times so haven't thought to much about it.. I too have not changed my fuel filter and I am also running a Turbo Tom FPR. I guess I need to do some more checking.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I actually did get out on the bike today. I needed to run to town and hit a few stores. So 21.5 miles later... I don't know that the stalling issue is fixed. I haven't messed with the idle so it is a bit higher than normal @ 1300 right now. In the running around as I would come up to a stop I would see the tach dip lower than it should.

Here is the one thing that I have noticed. The 1300 is known for not having a smooth throttle as you start to transition from idle to on the gas. In my list of symptoms I was thinking about adding that it seems worse than it used to be. The interesting thing is that the TC FPR was supposed to help with this though some question about how much it does. I will say this much, the throttle is way smoother than it was. I am talking night and day difference. Though it may be possible I have more than one thing going on here. I know it is still early but I do think that the FPR was part of the issue. This is only 21.5 miles later so I want to ride a lot more before making a decision or considering the next step but that is a rough note on where I am at now.

One other symptom that I think I should add to the list of issues. I wasn't sure it was the bike but more and more I think about it I do think it is. After a longer ride I notice the odor of what smells like stale gas. I will notice it from time to time at a stop light and in the shop. In the shop there are so many motors in there I guess I questioned where it was coming from. At stop lights I guess I assumed it was from another vehicle. It may be coming from my ST. I think I will take a look at the emissions system and how that canister thing on the right side works. I would think that if it is an emissions issue that there would be some form of error code being thrown. I haven't seen that though.

Hi, sorry to drag up such an old post, but it is nearly the only one that i can find.
Did anyone manage to pin down the actual cause / solution for this??
Thanx

Top Bottom