Avon Storm II @ 6255 miles

WaterlooJay

R.I.P. - 2021/07/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2021 BMW RnineT UGS
STOC #
Looks like the tire belt from inside coming out?

I going to try & get Avon to warranty this tire, only 8 months old @ 6255 miles

What do you guys think?

DSCF0826.JPGDSCF0825.JPGDSCF0827.JPG

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I doubt you'll get any warranty help from Avon (check the fine print, the tire has to be virtually unused).
I'd get it off your bike fast.
I'd also avoid Avon tires as there have been plenty of blowouts (Chris and I both had them).

OP
OP
WaterlooJay

WaterlooJay

R.I.P. - 2021/07/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2021 BMW RnineT UGS
STOC #
Here's what I got from the Avon website/

If they don't replace it, I may go back to the Metzeler Z8

Warranty Procedure
*Warranty Adjustment Procedure:
Note: Due to the latest requirements of the federal government’s Tread Act, we must strictly enforce this procedure.

Rider:
If you believe you have a warranty please contact the dealer or on-line retailer where you purchased the tire. They will examine the tire and contact their distributor if they believe the tire is warrantable. See limited tire warranty (link here)

Authorized Motorcycle Dealer:
1) Examine the tire to determine if it qualifies for adjustment based on Avon’s motorcycle warranty (see link)
2) If tire is warrantable return tire to distributor for adjustment with following information:
Tire size, model, issue, area in question clearly marked, tire issue, production date of tire
3) Brief note describing the issue is helpful
4) Handle customer in accordance to Avon’s warranty guidelines. Tire with less than 50% wear is no charge. Tire with more than 50% wear is prorated.
5) Bear in mind that the distributor may determine the tire is not warrantable so if in doubt please call your distributor

Bike
2006 ST1300
That is what has happened to many Avon Storm 2s. Check with Raven...I believe the NHTSA has made contact about the failures. Word I heard was one of their own employees owns a bike and had a similar failure. I saved my old Storm 2...maybe there will be a positive outcome.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I saved my old Storm 2...maybe there will be a positive outcome.
If you hear anything please let me know...
I have 2 dead Avon Storm IIs with the same failure (wire sticking out of the tire) at almost the same spot in the tire (from the manufacturing lines inside the tire).

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Guys this is an issue that has been going on now for over three years...I am so pissed that we have not called for a ban on these tires for the st1300. Avon will not back this tire if its mounted on the 13...I figure some one has to get hurt before there is a forum Notice...I call on the forum and to put out a Notice to all members to not mount these tires on these bikes.. This is a safety issue ...Mellow please address this issue

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Guys this is an issue that has been going on now for over three years...I am so pissed that we have not called for a ban on these tires for the st1300. Avon will not back this tire if its mounted on the 13...I figure some one has to get hurt before there is a forum Notice...I call on the forum and to put out a Notice to all members to not mount these tires and on these bikes.. This is a safety issue ...Mellow please address this issue
I would imagine something like the site using strong words like banning a tire could open itself up for legal action. I know that Mellow in the past has made mention of a less harsh Not Recommended rating from the site. That would be more in line with a tire review that a magazine or other group would do. I know that this was done for the Dunlop Roadsmart. I don't know if the same has been done for the Storm.

Personally I love Avon Storms. On my 1100 that is. They will never touch my 1300. Like you pointed out they are not recommended for fitment to the 1300, if the manufacturer says don't use them, then I won't use them. What other people want to do here is really up to them. Kind of like a car tire. It isn't for everyone.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Now tell me how, besides a forum such as this, an ST owner is supposed to know that these tires are not suggested for use on the ST1300? I purchased two from two different sources (one front, one rear). Both sources knew what bike they were going on...heck, one mounted the tire for me. Neither said anything about the tire not being used on the 1300. The size is correct; the weight and speed ratings are correct.

I strongly suspect there may be two possible problems:
- Defective batch of tires. This can be found when we all compare date codes, which is one thing the NHTSA will look at.
-Improper weight rating (misprinted, or not as much margin for error as other brands). I thought about this since my rear tire worked fine several thousand miles, until we rode 2-up. On our first 150 mile ride 2-up, we got off the bike and the tire literally looked like it was melted, as if it was cooked with a torch. The second 2-up ride resulted in the same effect, and the tire gave out the last couple miles of the trip. There was more damage and wear in those <600 miles of 2-up riding than in the previous 4000 miles.

Just thoughts, and I'm no tire expert- just posting my observations.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Now tell me how, besides a forum such as this, an ST owner is supposed to know that these tires are not suggested for use on the ST1300? I purchased two from two different sources (one front, one rear). Both sources knew what bike they were going on...heck, one mounted the tire for me. Neither said anything about the tire not being used on the 1300. The size is correct; the weight and speed ratings are correct.

I strongly suspect there may be two possible problems:
- Defective batch of tires. This can be found when we all compare date codes, which is one thing the NHTSA will look at.
-Improper weight rating (misprinted, or not as much margin for error as other brands). I thought about this since my rear tire worked fine several thousand miles, until we rode 2-up. On our first 150 mile ride 2-up, we got off the bike and the tire literally looked like it was melted, as if it was cooked with a torch. The second 2-up ride resulted in the same effect, and the tire gave out the last couple miles of the trip. There was more damage and wear in those <600 miles of 2-up riding than in the previous 4000 miles.

Just thoughts, and I'm no tire expert- just posting my observations.
If you go to their web site they have a fitment guide.

There is a drop down in the right upper corner.

Once you drill down to ST1300 you will find that they say that they do not make a tire that fits the ST1300. Well maybe fit isn't the right term as they do make a tire that physically does fit but they do not recommend it. Again this is from the manufacturer. Now I have been to the Motorcycle show here in MN and asked the rep. They said that they did have a tire that fits so I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there. It has been dug into further before here and the answer once run up the flag pole is no. There isn't a tire that is recommended. Sure if you go to a shop they are going to look at the tire size and maybe load rating and assume it is good. They don't take the time to consult their web site or talk to someone at Avon in the know.

I would link to the page but it is dynamically created as you go through the bike selector so the best I can do is quote it and tell you where I got the info.

From their web site. http://www.avonmoto.com
MAKE: HONDA

MODEL: ST 1300 / A 2002 AND UP

Front Pressure: Not Available
Rear Pressure: Not Available

No Avon Fitment Available
For what it is worth. I don't recall reading of a front Storm having an issue. It is always seems to be a rear. I don't know why. I won't buy them for the 1300 as I am happy with the Hankook rear and there are other good front tire options for the same price. Why not just put on a PR3 PR3 BT023 ect.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm running the BT45 front now, and will never change unless they are no longer available. But as for the Storms, I had my rear installed while on the road during a trip. I already had the front on, and asked the shop about a rear to match. "No problem" was the reply. There was no opportunity to do research...I put my faith in the shop who, I'm sure, put their faith in Avon. Yes, I do research when I can- in fact, when researching long lasting, high quality tires for my wife's bike I went with Avon touring tires because the EX500 community raves about them and they have no reported failures. They are NOT Storms.

And the shop who installed my rear tire did a good job, price was reasonable for a walk-in, and they are a very large shop (Iron Pony in Columbus, OH). I'm sure they only looked up the size and saw they had one to match my front. And although I like my current BT45, the Storm 2 front was the only other long-lasting front tire I had. 12k miles, which is almost twice as long as any other front tire I used. It handled well and wore evenly almost all the way.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I'm running the BT45 front now, and will never change unless they are no longer available. But as for the Storms, I had my rear installed while on the road during a trip. I already had the front on, and asked the shop about a rear to match. "No problem" was the reply. There was no opportunity to do research...I put my faith in the shop who, I'm sure, put their faith in Avon. Yes, I do research when I can- in fact, when researching long lasting, high quality tires for my wife's bike I went with Avon touring tires because the EX500 community raves about them and they have no reported failures. They are NOT Storms.

And the shop who installed my rear tire did a good job, price was reasonable for a walk-in, and they are a very large shop (Iron Pony in Columbus, OH). I'm sure they only looked up the size and saw they had one to match my front. And although I like my current BT45, the Storm 2 front was the only other long-lasting front tire I had. 12k miles, which is almost twice as long as any other front tire I used. It handled well and wore evenly almost all the way.
Yeah I think it is pretty common that they look at the size called for and stop looking at that point. The ST isn't that common of a bike so they most likely wouldn't know that Avon doesn't recommend it. I like I said though. I love the Storms on my 1100. I have a set on there now. I wouldn't hesitate to run them on that bike.

Here is that they show.

MAKE: HONDA

MODEL: ST 1100 PAN EUROPEAN 1991 2003

Front Pressure: 2.5 bar (36psi)
Rear Pressure: 2.9 bar (42psi)

Technical Specifications
Tire Tire Service Rec Rim OW OW OD OD Depth Revs Revs
Model Position Sku Tire Size Index Sidewall Rim min-max mm Inches mm Inches mm per km per Mile
Storm 2 Ultra Front 4559417 110/80ZR18 (58W) bw 2.5 2.50 - 3.00 109 4.3 631 24.8 3.8 523 836.8
Storm 2 Ultra Rear 4566413 160/70R17 * 79V bw 4.5 4.25 - 5.00 166 6.5 654 25.7 6.8 513 820.8
There are lots of people out there that don't do research though and some that do but choose to ride them anyway because they like them and haven't been bit yet. While I don't care for a BT023 rear I was happy with the front. I got 18K miles on one of those. The rear lasted less than 6K and I was down to the cords. PR2 has done me well also.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
The storms are great on my 1100....but I believe that I read on the Avon website that these tires are not recommended for the 1300??

Bike
2006 ST1300
The storms are great on my 1100....but I believe that I read on the Avon website that these tires are not recommended for the 1300??
Correct. They are the right size, right speed and weight ratings, but not listed for the ST1300...that tells me there is something odd about that particular size.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Correct. They are the right size, right speed and weight ratings, but not listed for the ST1300...that tells me there is something odd about that particular size.
I really don't understand the reasoning behind it. I have speculated that it may be related to the publicity around the stability issues with the 1300 in the UK. Avon is a UK company and they may have been in the middle of all of that. By not recommending the tire they are not missing out on a huge market as there really are not that many STs out there. If there was a lawsuit due to a stability issue that listed Avon as a party of the suit they have a defense as they show on their website that the Storm isn't a tire they recommend for use on the 1300. It may be as simple as that. However the tire failures we have seen may point to another issue. But you thought that the load rating was within range so I don't know what it would be. There are only so many specs that a tire has. It seems that it meets all of them yet we have the failures. A question I have had that I haven't seen answered is if the Storm rear isn't designed to fit the 1300 then what does it fit. I think that the tire we use is kind of an oddball. Which would explain why they are harder to find when needed locally at the last minute.

Of course the legal reasons for not listing it is only speculation on my part. It kind of makes sense but I am sure they would never disclose the reasoning behind it. They just say it isn't recommended and leave it at that. Like the Darkside. Use at your own risk. At least the Darkside seems to work better.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
6255 miles? ... Try a BT021 and get 4000 miles ... Factory fitted.

Not that that Avon is right ....

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
After reading this I am glad to find out these are good for the ST1100. I looked up when I installed Avon Storm II front and rear on my ST1100 and was surprised to see that was 12958 miles ago in October 2010. That's right, almost 13000 miles and both tires are looking good enough to go a few more thousand miles yet so I guess I did kind of figure that one out already. I do inspect my tires regularly and haven't found any faults to be concerned about. I am not an aggressive rider at all. Though I do pull a camper to STOC and rally events. Surprised that the rear tire, which should be really worn out pulling a trailer, is looking only slightly more worn than the front. I am sure that someday I will have a ST1300 and will have to remember not to put these tires on that bike.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Add me to the list of victims that had a Avon rear tyre blowout. Exactly the same area that you have the wires almost protruding.
Storms were great on my lighter bikes. I'm pulling a Uni-Go trailer now, so I stepped up to the BT023 GT's.

Top Bottom