PR2 with 10K 3.5 or 3mm left. Can I get another 3K?

Bike
'05 ST1300
Hi there,

I'm looking for some second opinions on changing tires now or 1/2 way through my trip (3K). I'm traveling alone, I only weigh 140 lbs. Saddle bags, top box, tent, sleeping bag add maybe 60 lbs more.

I have 10K on my Michelin PR2's. Front started with 5mm and is now 2.5mm at center. Back started with 7mm and is now 3 or 3.5 at center. If the tire wear is linear I figure I have 4K left on the front before I get to the 1.5mm suggested minimum and 2500-4K left on the back before I get to the 2mm suggested minimum.

My 1/2 way point (3K) where I would change the tires is Eugene OR. I'm leaving from Raleigh, NC going by way of Illinois, SD, Montana.

What I'm struggling with is if the wear will continue to be linear. If so, I think I wouldn't have a problem. If they start wearing quicker when they're worn and with the heat of summer, I might be in trouble.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,
Doug

Bike
2006 ST1300
I found with several different tires...including the front PR2 I tried...that they really wear fast as they get near the end of their life. So having half the tread depth of when new means they are actually much more than half worn. I'm not the only one who has found this- another forum member was caught not once, but twice needing tires while on several day trips because the tires looked good when he left, then decided to wear very quickly.

In fact, I was with him the first time this happened. I don't remember what brand he had then, but when we left he had around 2mm of tread, hoping to get the 2200 miles for the entire trip out of it, or, worse case, replace it at the half way point. Well 600 miles into the trip cord was showing and it needed to be changed in Ohio.

So if it were me, I'd replace them now and have peace of mind. Keep the old tires for spares. AND, a bonus, is that tires get expensive during a trip. One tire installed on the road can cost as much as two tires you install yourself at home. I paid just shy of $300 for one tire installed by a shop during a trip; Tim Keel could have gotten me two tires to my door for that price.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
+1 on Jim's reply. I had my PR tread depth plotted out and was in Idaho, headed to Utah, with enough tread to get it done. I looked at my tires one evening and realized I'd burned up about 1mm that day. I headed home and was glad I hadn't gotten further before noticing.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Heed the wisdom of Rider magazine old sage Clement Salvadori,

The three stages of tire wear are....... New, almost new and bald. :D

Mike:03biker:

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
Thanks everyone,

I've ordered new tires and will install before I leave. You all confirmed what I was thinking but I needed to hear it from someone else, too!

Doug

Top Bottom