Article [13] ST1300 - Fuel Pump Replacement

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Thanks Sennister for reminding me. I looked back at a picture and I remember now that the FPR is at the tail end of the fuel rail and it's operation controls the pressure that fuel is relieved back to the fuel tank. So, yes, both the fuel pump and the FPR have to maintain pressure to keep the fuel system charged.

Fuel enters the fuel rail at the bottom left, exits at the bottom right (at the FPR).

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
Well I am just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Maggie Valley stuck looking for a new rear tire and a fuel pump. i planned on replacing the tire enroute but took a chance on the fuel pump. The surging issue showed up briefly on Wednesday in the heat on the interstate but after stopping and letting the bike sit for a half hour it ran great for three days. Yesterday it started acting up again, i was on the Parkway near Mt Mitchell (around 6000 feet) and it started bucking like a bronco. This time I let it sit for an hour while we had lunch and headed out again. However it only lasted for 100 kms before the surging was back. Could altitude be the issue? Went to a bike shop in Asheville for a pump and was told they "may" be able to get one by Thursday but cannot confirm until Monday. I am now waiting to check with two other shops but they are not open until Monday, Oh and now I am having a hard time finding a tire. Not too impressed with the Honda supply chain....it shouldn't be so difficult to get a simple overpriced part. And I am still not sure if the pump is the issue...

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well I am just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Maggie Valley stuck looking for a new rear tire and a fuel pump. i planned on replacing the tire enroute but took a chance on the fuel pump. The surging issue showed up briefly on Wednesday in the heat on the interstate but after stopping and letting the bike sit for a half hour it ran great for three days. Yesterday it started acting up again, i was on the Parkway near Mt Mitchell (around 6000 feet) and it started bucking like a bronco. This time I let it sit for an hour while we had lunch and headed out again. However it only lasted for 100 kms before the surging was back. Could altitude be the issue? Went to a bike shop in Asheville for a pump and was told they "may" be able to get one by Thursday but cannot confirm until Monday. I am now waiting to check with two other shops but they are not open until Monday, Oh and now I am having a hard time finding a tire. Not too impressed with the Honda supply chain....it shouldn't be so difficult to get a simple overpriced part. And I am still not sure if the pump is the issue...
Have you tried an auto parts store to get the automotive one that we are using. Much cheaper option. The problem is that I don't know what to tell you it is off of. If it helps I can get you pictures of what it looks like if you need more than what is in this thread.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yup, Honda Accord, 2.3l for 2000 (and about a hundred other models). Go here to figure out which others use the same pump. HFP-382 .

http://www.onlyfuelpumps.com/vaf/product/list/?id=102&category=?&make=21&model=571&engine=1496&year=8873

Or just order the one from the link and get them to overnight it.
I know one of the links listed a ton of vehicles that use this pump. That is why I would be shocked if a local parts store didn't stock one. It really doesn't take much for special tools to do this and it could be done on the road. Just make sure that your fuel level is low. You should also replace the gasket but maybe a little RTV would work in a pinch and replace the gasket later.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I know one of the links listed a ton of vehicles that use this pump. That is why I would be shocked if a local parts store didn't stock one. It really doesn't take much for special tools to do this and it could be done on the road. Just make sure that your fuel level is low. You should also replace the gasket but maybe a little RTV would work in a pinch and replace the gasket later.
When I did mine, I ordered a new gasket and it leaked... I reused the old one with all the indentions from being installed and it didn't, I just cleaned it real good.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I reused my old gasket without a problem. No leaks.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I will add that my gasket was likley fine for reuse. I had a new one so I replaced it though. It came off and was nice and pliable. The other reason I wanted to change it rather than risk a reuse is that the fuel joint between the upper and lower tank failed on my bike a couple summers ago so I figured this part also being rubber would likely be in poor shape and it is listed as a part that should be replaced based on the service manual. Oh and I had placed an order for some other stuff anyhow so I tacked it on as it wasn't very much.

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
Well, I made it back from the Blue Ridge with some new parts in the bike. Got into a dealer in Hendersonville who specialize in Gold Wings and STs and the support was great although it took some convincing to get them to believe it was a pump issue. First they wanted to look at Ethanol as the culprit but after putting some additive in and taking it for a 100 mile ride we ruled that out. Then they went for the Fuel Pressure Regulator, again 50 miles out, the symptoms were back and I limped back to the shop. Now we went for the Fuel Pump.

Despite this trial and error approach, I still was happy with the service as the shop was convinced they were saving me money by trying the quick inexpensive fixes first. Also, they had no parts in stock so they pulled up a new bike from the warehouse and proceeded to swap the FPR and fuel pump right there rather than making me wait for several days for the parts to come in. As it was I did loose a couple of days riding but the bike was back in top shape before I hit the Tail of the Dragon and the ride back on the Blue Ridge. Ran the bike about 1800 miles since the pump was changed in all types of weather (heat, cold, rain, etc) and at all altitudes (from sea level to 6500') and it ran great. I would have changed it for an auto pump before I left but there was no time, it was cancel or go so I took a chance and the end result was having to go with the Honda pump. Sometimes you have to pay for convenience, although the cost of the pump and the install was quite reasonable compared to what I would have paid here in Canada (of course I would have saved the install costs by doing it myself). BTW, I paid for the FPR but once we determined it was not at fault the dealer refunded that cost.

It was frustrating when the bike starting bucking but thanks to the great info I found on this forum, I knew what the issue was and was confident in what had to be done. You guys are great, thanks, this is the first place I come to when I have an ST issue. :)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I don't have a 1300, I have a 1100.

What is the recommended replacement interval for replacing the fuel filter on the 1300 ?

The take-away from the original post for me is if I had a 1300, I would probably replace the filter after 50K miles, since I am a preventative maintenace fanatic.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did this job today after getting back from a long ride to burn off a tank of fuel. When I started the gauge was blinking and indicated .8 gallons. Earlier I ordered the HFP-382 pump from HighFlow on eBay and ordered an OEM fuel filter, hoses A & B, and a base gasket from my dealer. I reused the steel wool return line filter element. The job was easy to do thanks to this thread. All the parts fit together and it was straight forward.

I was really surprised that there was no water or dirt or debris in the lower tank. It was like brand new inside after 121,025 miles. I run Marine Formula Stabil for ethanol now and then and at one time several years ago used up a small bottle of Startron. I try to buy from name brand stations but there also have been plenty of small stations way back in the boondocks I got gas from during the last 7 years. The sock on the bottom of the fuel pump had trapped a small amount of dirt but so little as to be remarkable. Amazing to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I did this job today after getting back from a long ride to burn off a tank of fuel. When I started the gauge was blinking and indicated .8 gallons. Earlier I ordered the HFP-382 pump from HighFlow on eBay and ordered an OEM fuel filter, hoses A & B, and a base gasket from my dealer. I reused the steel wool return line filter element, The job was easy to do thanks to this thread. All the parts fit together and it was straight forward.

I was really surprised that there was no water or dirt or debris in the lower tank. It was like brand new inside after 121,025 miles. I run Marine Formula Stabil for ethanol then and then and at one time several years ago used up a small bottle of Startron. I try to buy from name brand stations but there also have been plenty of small stations way back in the boondocks I got gas from during the last 7 years. The sock on the bottom of the fuel pump had trapped a small amount of dirt but so little as to be remarkable. Amazing to me.
Good news on the dirt. Not shocked that you didn't find water. If you have to run Ethanol the alcohol in the gas will be pulling any water out.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine's still running about 3mpg higher than pre-pump.. and my throttle hand definitely isn't any better behaved than before. :)
When I read this a few weeks ago I thought that there is no way a new fuel pump can increase fuel mileage and still don't but.........

Last Sunday on a day ride I rode the fuel tank out for the first time since replacing my fuel filter and pump. I rarely check the mileage on the ST anymore but after all these years I expect to see reserve blinking around 240-250 miles in normal day-riding operation. As the miles on the tank went past 230 I began to look for the last bar to start blinking but the gauge stood resolutely at 2 bars. I rode past the gas station I usually fill up a few miles from my house. After 250 miles the thought formulated that I must have bent or otherwise damaged the fuel level sensor when I had the tank off for the alternator replacement. I know I average about 42 mpg and knew I could go to 260 miles and still have more than 1 gallon remaining so I kept riding so I could see if the reserve bar would start blinking. At 275 miles it starting blinking and I filled up at my favorite pump a few miles later. I averaged 44 mpg this tank and while one tank is not enough to change averages I can't account for the change from 42 to 44 mpg. I'll be checking fuel mileage for a while to see if this was a fluke or I am getting about 2 mpg better after replacing the filter and pump. There is no mechanical reason why this should be so.

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
Thanks for this article and all the feedback. My bike had many off the same symptoms that others have experienced. It started cutting in and out on a hot day with a half tank of fuel. After I filled the tank the problem went away but there still was some surging that I hadn't noticed before. I replaced the fuel pump with the ebay pump from highflow and also installed a new filter and hoses. It runs much smoother now.

Dennis

Top Bottom