Article [13] ST1300 - Fuel Pump Replacement

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not mine my buddies 07. It had about 78K on it when we did the road side replacement of the pump.
Funny thing is my 03 st has 187K on it & is still running the original fuel pump & u joint.
I knew you were 'up there on yours, just wanted to know if you passed 200k yet.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've got no fueling problems just wanted to check ebay for what's available.

Fuel pumps are now down to $29!

They all seem to come with a wire connector and length of wire.

Is this the right one? : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Hyundai-Kia-Ford-Geo-Brand-New-Replacement-Fuel-Pump-Includes-Strainer-/160727904316?vxp=mtr&hash=item256c21303c

I think you want the one with the "H" suffix in order to get the correct strainer, that one is $69.98 but called out specifically for the ST1300:

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-14521145-new-intank-efi-fuel-pump-honda-st1300-2003-2013.html

Question, lots of discussion about bucking bronco being a symptom, which certainly describes the way my bike is running. Has anyone noticed this happening at a particular RPM and throttle setting?

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I ordered the one without the H suffix yesterday. I plan to install it and I'll let you know how it goes. My bike is exhibiting the bucking at high heat, and when the fuel level is low it is especially prevalent. I just rolled 150,000 miles this morning on my bike and it's on the original pump.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The OEM strainer is reusable. It isn't a filter to speak of just a piece of plastic mesh to keep big stuff out. At least with mine it was that way and the strainer was very very clean to begin with even after 120,000 miles.

I like to save a buck but I'm not sure I'd go with a $30 pump when the going price has been about $80 for several years.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm not worried, I have a buddy that has a used OEM sitting on a shelf in his garage. The $29. unit is from the same vendor as the original post and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just stopped by the vendor who sells these pumps, Quantum Fuel here in Ventura, and picked up the kit for my ST, $65 which is $5 off since they ship free. Hope it does the trick.

-Jeff

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Question, lots of discussion about bucking bronco being a symptom, which certainly describes the way my bike is running. Has anyone noticed this happening at a particular RPM and throttle setting?
I think it's a question of supply and demand, at some rpms the bike 'needs' a certain flow of fuel and the pump can't handle it.. above or below that level may be fine. Since the pump is electric, it can fail in ways that can produce varying symptoms.. From a stutter to the bike dying.. I replaced mine when my bike had a strange idle but that was the only symptom and it seemed to fix it...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Researching all these forums, the highway stumbling problem seems to trace back to a fuel pump issue in most reports, even though some of my observations of the symptoms don't seem consistent what one would traditionally expect from a dodgy fuel pump. None of the other things I've fixed seem to have been previously reported. The stumbling issues that have been reported weren't detailed enough to describe throttle position and specific RPM. Maybe those factors weren't present or perhaps the person reporting didn't notice that closely?? I tend to over-analyze stuff due to my training as a scientist I suppose. The other factor that doesn't seem to align with other forum reports is a sensitivity between a full vs. an almost empty fuel tank. Mine will act up in either situation, though it may appear a little sooner with partly filled vs. fully filled tank.

I won't get a chance to do the installation until next week or next weekend as I'm headed to Laguna Seca for the WSBK races this Friday. This will be my first trip on the Super T, though not a particularly long one as the track is < 300 miles from me.

Last edited:
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I replaced my pump last night with the $29.99 eBay pump from Quantum Fuel. It arrived in 2 days from CA to Fl. The total job took about 30 minutes at most. It was a plug and play operation. Way easier than changing a tire for sure. Rode to work this morning and filled the bike with fuel and no leaks. Bike is running great.

It would of been a lot harder job if I'd had more fuel in the bike. I was down to 2 bars and had no fuel in the upper tank so I didn't have to worry about spilling fuel.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I read a post somewhere maybe on the other ST site that there is a pump out there made for the ST1300 its $69 and comes complete with a new strainer.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
STOC #
When I did mine, I ordered a new gasket and it leaked... I reused the old one with all the indentions from being installed and it didn't, I just cleaned it real good.
I replaced my pump and filter and now cannot get a seal at the rubber/metal top piece. When I add any gas from the top tank it just runs out the between the gasket and the metal lid. I have tried both the original (old) and now a new (Honda OEM) rubber gasket and still cant get it to seal. The gas is not dripping, it is literally running out in small streams.

The metal top piece appears to be dead flat when I have checked it with a machinist square. There are no marks or dents that i can see or feel.

Has anyone else had this issue? I really don't know what to do next...gasket sealer??

Top Bottom