Fuel tank interconnecting hose replacement

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Let me just throw in a reminder that if you haven't yet replaced the interconnecting hose between the upper and lower fuel tanks, you need to get it done. If the hose cracks and leaks, it doesn't require a vivid imagination to visualize what could happen if five and a half gallons of gasoline leaks through the middle of your frame, down and around your exhaust plumbing, and onto the ground beneath the bike. If you're in motion, the exhaust plumbing will be hot. If the bike's parked in the garage, you could lose the entire garage and house if they're attached if the fumes find an ignition source.

If you've replaced the hose once .. but it's been a few years since you did .. you need to do it again.

This motorcycle has a unique dual tank configuration .. and that hose is a potential disaster if it springs a leak. Don't be complacent about this just because you think Ma Honda doesn't goof.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, been there done that. My hose broke while lifting the tank. Bike had been down for a week waiting on parts so nothing was hot. I had about 4 gallons of gas pouring out everywhere from the bottom of the bike. Good thing I had lots of kitty litter and caught it before it hit the garage drain.

I now keep a spare hose in my parts bin.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just wrestled my tank off this afternoon. Are you talking about just the large hose (about 1?" dia) here? There are three other hoses attached to the upper tank, do they need replacing also?
It isn't going back together for a week, so I have time to get the hoses, I just want to make sure it's done properly! Thanks!
That's the one! I have two in my parts bin waiting for me to replace both bike's!

Bike
05 ST1300
Just wrestled my tank off this afternoon. Are you talking about just the large hose (about 1?" dia) here? There are three other hoses attached to the upper tank, do they need replacing also?
It isn't going back together for a week, so I have time to get the hoses, I just want to make sure it's done properly! Thanks!
Yup, it's the large one in the photo. Not 1.5" though, more like about 5/8" or 3/4".

Tip: I always take the seat adjustment bracket off when I remove the tank - much much easier that way, especially when you go to put the tank back on.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a spare in the parts box but each time I lift the tank I inspect the hoses and the original one looks good, no cracks or checking and is still soft and pliable. Those of you that have had a leak or torn hose, what did the old hose look or feel like? Did it break while lifting the front of the tank or was the rear mount/seat bracket removed prior to lifting or removing the tank?

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
Variation on the leaky interconnect hose story.

I recently replaced the hose and both clamps, during my first fill-up I noticed a small waterfall of gasoline from the bottom of the bike. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the waterfall until I was done topping off the tank. I removed the seat, and checked the hose, it appeared to be originating from around circumference of the hose where it mates with the lower tank.

Last night I was able to remove the tank and closely examine the hose, it appears to not have any cracks or tears. The end of the hose was plugged with a large bolt and a small amount of gasoline as poured into the tank. No leakage from around the bolt or the hose. Place the tank back on the bike, add some gasoline (larger amount this time). Instant waterfall, again from around the end of the hose.

The leak was not present before the bike was stripped down over the winter, the only changes are the new hose and the new clamps.

The lower tank inlet doesn't appear to be damaged.

A new hose and clamps have been ordered, but have yet to arrive.

Is it possible that the clamp is somehow faulty (new clamps, both ends)?

Could a quality hose clamp be substituted for the clamp?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

M.

Bike
05 1300a
hello All ! I have found that I can take the five bolt head screws from the seat adjuster/ frame connection and the long tank screw out. This allows the spring clamp on the fuel hose to be gotten to. A broad plyers gets all three prongs. This allows you to not stress the fuel hose. If you left the hose alone it would last for a long time. The lifting and twisting on the pipe ends is hard on the rubber. I have a spare I travel with as my bike is a 2005. Thats how I do it ! rrboomer

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Variation on the leaky interconnect hose story.

I recently replaced the hose and both clamps, during my first fill-up I noticed a small waterfall of gasoline from the bottom of the bike. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the waterfall until I was done topping off the tank. I removed the seat, and checked the hose, it appeared to be originating from around circumference of the hose where it mates with the lower tank.

Last night I was able to remove the tank and closely examine the hose, it appears to not have any cracks or tears. The end of the hose was plugged with a large bolt and a small amount of gasoline as poured into the tank. No leakage from around the bolt or the hose. Place the tank back on the bike, add some gasoline (larger amount this time). Instant waterfall, again from around the end of the hose.

The leak was not present before the bike was stripped down over the winter, the only changes are the new hose and the new clamps.

The lower tank inlet doesn't appear to be damaged.

A new hose and clamps have been ordered, but have yet to arrive.

Is it possible that the clamp is somehow faulty (new clamps, both ends)?

Could a quality hose clamp be substituted for the clamp?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

M.
As a temp fix I hose clamp should work but I don't get why you are having a leak. The hose attaches pretty well and should hold fuel even without the clamps. Any chance you replaced the hose with the wrong one? Did you see Mellow's post above showing the difference in the hose based on year?

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
It matches my old hose, in appearance. I have not actually measured the hoses. I have, not one, but two hoses ordered, should be here by the end of the week.

Thank you for your help.

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
17545-mcs-g00 is the p/n for the hoses which I ordered, and also the p/n for the one that is leaking.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced this hose recently when I had to remove the tank for other maintenance. I found the hose a tight fit and like sennister posted it probably wouldn't leak even without clamps. Was the metal pipe fitting possibly damaged removing the old hose? I don't think there would be problem using a standard worm drive clamp in this application.

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
I replaced this hose recently when I had to remove the tank for other maintenance. I found the hose a tight fit and like sennister posted it probably wouldn't leak even without clamps. Was the metal pipe fitting possibly damaged removing the old hose? I don't think there would be problem using a standard worm drive clamp in this application.
I had tape over the lower tank inlet during the "down-time". It appears to be unblemished, but it was getting late and I was getting disgusted last night, so I didn't take any pictures. Hoping to have time tonight to more closely examine the hose and the inlet this evening and take some pictures.

I do appreciate all of the diagnostic assistance. :)

M.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but IIRC, the clamps are two different sizes. Any chance you got them swapped and the smaller fitting is being held by the larger clamp?

--Mark

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but IIRC, the clamps are two different sizes. Any chance you got them swapped and the smaller fitting is being held by the larger clamp?

--Mark
Unfortunately, I've got the big clamp on the upper tank side, and smaller clamp on the lower tank end.

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
Did you remove the top flange from the lower tank ?
Yes sir, and the gasket (packing) was replaced with a new gasket while I was replacing the fuel filter.

2013-04-13+17.08.42.jpg

The old filter, gasket, and crush washers.

Experimented tonight before dinner, and the fuel is leaking from under the top flange of the access panel.

Guess I didn't torque the bolts down in the correct order. :(

Last edited:

v8-7

Site Supporter
Check to see if you pinched any wires under the flange .

If so, check to see if the top flange on the lower tank is still straight.

It is very thin metal and easy to distort the sealing surface .

If you can get it close to being straight, a layer of Pematex #3
can seal it up, but of course it would be more prudent to replace the lower tank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom