Front PR2 Tire Smiling

I have a Michelin PR2 on the front of my ST1300 (3200 miles) that has a jagged cut that I just noticed today. It is about 1 inch long, 3/8" deep, and in the center of the tread. I do not recall running over any sharp objects and the tire loses no air and runs as smooth as ever. The gap / opening of the "smile" is about half of the diameter of a pencil lead. Obviously I have some concern about this and was wanting any comments from others. I hate to junk a tire needlessly.

I haven't had any luck yet getting a picture attached.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
You don't know what carcass damage may be done underneath the wearable tread surface, and a front tire going flat is bad (it is worse than the rear going flat). My opinion is to change it regardless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I've had a rear tire blowout before and it wasn't pleasant. I don't think I want to try a front. My rear tire has 11,000 miles on it, so I will start pricing a set. I think I will look at the Michelin PR3's due to the reviews I've read. I was hoping to finish the summer on the current tires.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Randy, IMO you'll like the PR3's. Bummer about the lost life of tire, but better to toss the tire than to take on the risk-cost of your being injured [if the front tire were to let go].

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
IF the cut does to extend down to the cords you could ask your local tyre repair shop if they know of any repair scheme for it.... some repairers over here can do repairs to cuts, but don't know about there....

If it is down to the cords, really the same answer, but get it changed first.....

OP
OP
i have given this some thought during the evening. The easiest way for me to get the rear wheel off the bike is to take off the front first, etc. So I'll just order some PR3's and do the drill. Peace of mind is worth 100 something bucks.

JDK

(it is worse than the rear going flat)
I'm not so sure I agree.
When a rear goes flat - you're along for the ride. If the rear end slides out - all you can do is steer into the direction the rear wheel says you're going.
If the front goes flat, you have 'some' directional control.
I've had both f & r go down (separately) .... not good in either case.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Randy,

Let me know where you can get some PR-3s for "100 something bucks".
Really, take the other's advice. Your rear is close to 90% gone and the cut on the front will cause you nothing but worries. Start with a fresh set. I've had excellent mileage and handling from PR-2s and am looking forward to trying a set of PR-3s myself. There is a PR-3 thread. Put in your 2 cents worth when you finally get to try them out. Start with your thoughts as to where to buy them and then early riding impressions.

John

Top Bottom