Riding in the Heat

RCS

Dehydration is not the only issue. There is also heat stroke when your body temperature exceeds 105 - a symptom is dizziness.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
All good stuff, all good points. I want to thank Shuey for post #17. Otherwise I would have had to type all that myself...

One thing that jumps out is that each section of the country has a "different" heat. My own South Louisiana high humidity heat requires the use of mesh. Otherwise I am swimming in my own sweat that cannot evaporate at all. The humidity has more effect than the actual temperature on my jacket choice as far as heat goes.

On my recent venture Out West I left the mesh at home. I adjusted my vents on the jacket to moderate the airflow. I watched Harley riders in their T-shirts and bandannas laugh at my jacket and modular full face helmet in the morning. I counselled those same poor riders that evening. They were utterly confused as to how Pop and I remained fresh and relatively dry while they could not pour water in fast enough. Remember Clint Eastwood wearing that poncho in the desert heat in those old Spaghetti Westerns? I do.

One other thought that may save a life...
I was concerned about the possibility of heat exhaustion or heat stroke on this trip. I made a swipe by my local pharmacy and bought a box with two Instant Ice-Packs. These little jewels will quickly get cold enough to cause frostbite (seriously) and are supposed to last for at least one hour. They are not re-usable, but they were for emergencies. I made sure both of my companions knew not only that they were available, but exactly where on the bike they were located.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
One other thought that may save a life...
I was concerned about the possibility of heat exhaustion or heat stroke on this trip. I made a swipe by my local pharmacy and bought a box with two Instant Ice-Packs. These little jewels will quickly get cold enough to cause frostbite (seriously) and are supposed to last for at least one hour. They are not re-usable, but they were for emergencies. I made sure both of my companions knew not only that they were available, but exactly where on the bike they were located.
I like that idea!

I've gone through Baker CA when the temps were in the 125+ range. I forget just where, but there is a temp where the ST1300 thermometer stops working and starts flashing!

I do OK with a mesh jacket, but with the windshield UP to block the hot wind, a soaked cooling vest under the jacket, and a big Camelbak filled with icewater. But the problem is you do have to stop and refill the vest and the Camelbak periodically. Running out of water halfway in 119 degree temps between Needles and Kingman isn't fun. I may have to do the 1 gal Coleman jug instead.

Bike
ST1300
+1 on everything covered here. Recently, I had a (not-so) Mellow experience X 50. Travelling down I-81 in PA, in 100 deg. + dewpoints in the 70's and traffic comes to a complete stop, due to construction. I am in my 1-piece 'stich with no shade and the sun is baking. It got to the point where I thought I was going to have a heat stroke, so on came the flashers, into the 3' wide "breakdown lane" and I travelled 40 miles at a stretch like this, only getting back into the "travel" lane (not) when barriers forced me to. All told, I probably travelled 100 miles like this.

I would have paid a $200 / $400 / $600 fine if I were stopped--and gladly paid it to get out of that hell!

Finally made it to Hagerstown ,MD in time for the storms that wreaked havoc on DC, WV, MD, VA --but had a nice light show from the hotel room !
I have had to do the same thing in TN and also on my way to Cape Cod when i was stuck in that horrible summer beach traffic. If there was a cop on the side of the road I went around them and they never said/did anything.
Its another reason to allow us (motorcyclists) to lane split and use the breakdown lanes. If i sat in traffic on my GS the bike and I would both be in deep trouble.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bike
06 ST
I also have a Camel Back, but just keep the water bag in my tank bag, with the hose easily pull able out of the tank bag for a "Hit" of water. It probably holds almost 3/4 gal. Then when stopping for fuel, I remove the Camel Back from the tank bag, go into the C-Store and refill it with ice (ask first) purchase some Gator Aide (or other) and fill 50% water 50 Gator Aide. It really makes a nice drink and refreshing. I was wetting up my shirt on the ride back from NatStock and that helped a lot. But, I thought if I had a "Waffle" type shirt on (even long sleeve) , it would hold more water a lot longer in the heat trans evaporation process. The standard water intake is 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so 200# would be 100 oz or three 32 oz quarts a day, or so your urine is just about clear. We tend to lose our thirst as we age up. Plus adequate water intake will help maintain normal blood testing profiles. ( those pesky asterisks on our blood tests...:->) It's obvious the more you pee, the more cleanizing your kidneys and blood system can perform. Anyway, I had a nice ride last nite at dusk in the Colo front range mtns. The sunlight and haze against the layered mtn back drop, 60'/9000', can bring tears to a persons eyes.... Yehaw......Dave B.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
The two things that make hot weather bearable for me is the Camel Back bag in my Polar Bear which sits right behind me on the Pillion and my Roadcrafter. Granted, the 'crafter makes for some very warm stops, but when moving it breaths well and keeps the oppressive heat away. Remember folks, insulation will protect you from heat as well as cold.

Top Bottom