RP2 sidewall to soft for two up touring?

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Hi, I recently completed a 3k mile tour with passenger/luggage and was surprised to see my rear RP2 sidewall disappearing faster than the centre tread. We weren't camping, my wife and I are slim so I don't think our all up weight was excessive, temps were 70 to 90, roads varied.

I really like these tires but wonder if the side wall compoud is to soft for the ST 1300 touring two up. Has anyone else seen this wear pattern? :biker:

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
With much of my riding here in Florida being flat, I square off the center in about 10,000+ miles. Some friends in the mountains wear off the sides in 6K-7K miles.

Unless you were doing lots of twistie roads, I'd say your tire pressure was probably a bit light.

OP
OP
sky.high

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Thanks Bill, I keep both tires at 42psi, is it best to put a few more psi in the rear tire?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Like Bill said, seems like low air pressure to me, but I'm no expert.

I carry quit a bit of weight towards the rear with full side bags, a top box and an aux tank. I've run maybe 8 sets of PR2s and never had the problem you describe.

I ran my PR2s at 42 and have a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) so I'll know when to add a pound or two without letting air out every time I'd manually check it. Altitude as well as temperature changes the pressure.

I think it's a great tire and hope you figure it out.

Shuey

Top Bottom