Found an error in the Service Manual....

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I have the 2003 - 2011 Service Manual, so the referenced pages may be different in your Service Manual.

On page 17-51 there is an exploded diagram of the rear brake caliper and caliper bracket. Looking at the right side of the picture there is a bolt (Rear Caliper Main Slide Pin) that is labeled as replace with new, 69 Nm (7.0 kfg.m 51 lft.ft). This torque spec. is incorrect. Look at page 1-18, about half way down to find "Rear Caliper Main Slide Pin." The bolt should be torqued to 20 ft.lbs, not 51 ft.lbs.

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Good catch. The 2003-2004 manual has the same error, so all editions are probably like that.

I've added that to my list of corrections: CLICKY

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What's funny is I know I've looked at that page 100 times to get the stopper bolt torque value.. which is 51 but never noticed the picture was wrong... LOL

I have the 2003 - 2011 Service Manual, so the referenced pages may be different in your Service Manual.

On page 17-51 there is an exploded diagram of the rear brake caliper and caliper bracket. Looking at the right side of the picture there is a bolt (Rear Caliper Main Slide Pin) that is labeled as replace with new, 69 Nm (7.0 kfg.m 51 lft.ft). This torque spec. is incorrect. Look at page 1-18, about half way down to find "Rear Caliper Main Slide Pin." The bolt should be torqued to 20 ft.lbs, not 51 ft.lbs.
This is not funny. I'm having brake issues so I had the caliper and wheel off my bike last night. I'm not a mechanic but I'd like to think I can follow directions. I'm flipping pages back and forth and wondering is this a slide pin on the caliper, or is there a stopper bolt on the caliper bracket and also a stopper bolt on the caliper its self. When I torqued the slide pin to 51 ft/lbs it did seam to be solid and not mushy. I'm taking the whole wheel and caliper back of my bike today I have bigger problems then this slide bolt. Thanks this is one question answered.

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
This is not an error! This pin has to be torqued to 51 ft/lbs. I have 2 Valkyries that have a similar setup and the pins on both of them have to be torqued to 51 ft/lbs. Additionally, this bolt is the 'Stopper Pin bolt' and not the 'Slide pin bolt'.

If you tightened that pin to 51 ft/lbs., you would be cussing yourself and, at the minimum, buying a Helicoil kit.
I hit both the stopper bolt and what I realize now is the slide bolt with 51 ft lbs last night. I don't see any damage, we will see how it holds up. It's no longer at 51 ft lbs torque.

Last edited:
Top Bottom