Another Avon 2 rear tire

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Well, I just went through my rear storm 2 tire in about 6000-7000 miles, I can't find the exact mileage when I put it on but in all estimates it only lasted about that long. I replaced it right after moonshine which was around April 18th. The last one lasted about that long but I was doing alot of two-up riding and alot of twisty roads in NC. so I thought it was that. I this rate I will be replcing it again before the end of the year. I did just recently buy a new orginal storm, which if I remember right I was getting about 10,000 miles out of that. Why does it seem the new and improved storm 2 is getting less miles!! I really love the handling of these tires and hate to change, but I just can't afford to be replacing rear tires at 6,000 mile caps when I am doing about 15,000-20,000 miles a year.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The 2 is a multi compound silica tire... but more silica... Sticky. The old Storm was a silica tire, but not as sticky... lasted longer.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I bought a set of Avon Storm II Ultras two years ago, but did not mount the rear tire until November 2011.

Yesterday I noticed what at first appeared to be a little tire imbalance that got worse later in the day. When I put the bike on the centerstand back home and let it run in 1st gear at idle, a slight change in radius over about 4 to 5 inches of the circumference was seen about opposite the valve stem generally in the middle of the tread.

Mileage is about 4800 now, and good tread remains.

This may be a delayed result from my 70mph getoff in the rain on 10 June, where the bike sheared off a 4+ inch pine tree, bending the sidestand and leaving some nice wood fibers wedged in the centerstand footpad. Parts replaced were sidestand, rear brake pedal, right tipover cover.

sidestand.jpg

The getoff was due to my stupidity, not the tires in any way. I like the performance of the tire and have ordered another rear Storm II Ultra as a replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom