Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ST1300 - Ballistic Battery Install

Bike
    FJR1300 '13
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

ST1300 - Ballistic Battery Install

I had a cell (probably) going out in my Yuasa battery . . . no shame as it'd been drained a couple of times. I was surprised it lasted this long. So, I called our friend Tim at Keel Brothers (I had to look up Two Brothers new business name) who recommended a Ballistic EVO2 12-cell Lithium Ferrous battery replacement. He noted it was a little smaller than STock and A LOT LIGHTER, and recommending I just use the packing foam that comes with it to fill in the extra space. Battery ordered and received a day and a half later.

So, today was the day and this is how the install went . . .

First, here's the new Ballistic 12 cell battery. If the specs are right, it's going to be a great choice: 410CCA, doesn't need maintenance charging when your not riding for awhile as it loses less than 10% of it's total charge over a 12 month period of inactivity, it's compatible with our ST charging systems and chargers (the only caveat being don't use a charger that desulficates), it is a lot lighter and somewhat smaller.

OK, have a new battery (seems like a toy or display fake - really), remove the Yuasa.

Let's just set this puppy in there and see what we've got. We do have a little space.

Let's compare the old and the new. Length: Yuasa about 5 7/8", Ballistic 4 7/16" leaving about 1 7/16" of space to fill.

Width/Depth . . . they're the same. No adjustment needed here.

Height at the back of the battery: Yuasa 4 5/16", Ballistic 3 3/4". Gonn'a need about 1/2" of something to fill in at the top.

So, to fill in the empty space, I used the pliable packing form that the Ballistic battery arrived in, a box cutter and a ruler.

Being the detail oriented person that I am, I played around for a little while taking copious measurements of everything then adjusting them to account for the compressibility of the foam, then was poised to make my first cut . . . hey, dummy (I said to myself, not you) it'll compress, give it an extra 1/8" or so and just cut it. I cut a 7/8" strip off each end of the foam, then cut a 3 1/2 inch length from each one of them for the bottom filler on both ends of the battery.

So, here's the battery installed with the foam in place. One of the shorter pieces went on top of the longer one on the left side and the other short piece went on top towards the back of the battery under where the battery clamp will rest.

OK, here it is clamped in. All snug . . . not going anywhere.

At first glance the plastic piece that fits over the battery covered the battery terminals . . . guess I'll have to cut them back a little. Hmmmm, the new battery isn't as tall, maybe . . . yep, all the wires (and I have an extra one or two) bolted onto the battery just fine, using the new bolts provided, and fit comfortably under the plastic cover. All done but putting on the outside panel. Easy breezy.

Any questions, let me know.
    Shuey
    Last edited by Shuey; 10-19-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Corrected Li-Ion to Lithium Ferrous
    "If you don't know where you're going . . . any road will take you there!" Unknown

"Life is 10% how you make it
    and 90% how you take it."
    Irving Berlin

Bike
    2003 ZX9R
    My Gallery

Re: Ballistic Battery Install

I have put over 6,000 miles on the Ballistic with no problems. Congratulations Shuey. You might want to put a small digital volt meter on your bike to keep tabs on the electrical system.
    Check yo self or wreck yo self

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    FJR1300 '13
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    I have put over 6,000 miles on the Ballistic with no problems. Congratulations Shuey. You might want to put a small digital volt meter on your bike to keep tabs on the electrical system.
    Thank you. Good to know it's working for you. In my hand it sure feels like a toy!

The post is finished now with all the pics. I use a Volt Monitor rather than a meter that I'd have to read. The monitor flashes an LED: Red, Amber, Green; solid or flashing to indicate volts in the system. Green is good, Amber and Red . . . need more revs. Flashing Red indicates less than acceptable voltage (I forget the exact number) which was my first indication my YUSA batter had at least one bad cell and needed replacing.
    Last edited by Shuey; 10-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Thanks for the install pics. I believe this will be my next battery.
    Jim

Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Is the price for the Ballistic higher or lower than the Yuasa?
    '06 ST1300
    Autocom Active Plus w/BT, Easternbeaver PC8, MCL Fuse Box Mount, Stebel Horn, Hella FF50's w/ Dick Seng Mounts, Whelen B/T/T Strip Light, Hyperlites, Givi E460 Top Box, Throttlemeister, Tailbrights, Bike Quip Flip Top Tinted Windscreen, V4 Badges, BMW Grips

Bike
    05 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Nice write up
    Thanks,
    Maybe Tim would do a group buy and save us a few cents,
    I know the new Ballistic battery is real pretty,
    My 2008 Hayabusa runs the same battery as my ST 1300
    Mike

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    FJR1300 '13
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by st11ray View Post
    Is the price for the Ballistic higher or lower than the Yuasa?
    Don't know since I didn't price a Yuasa. Call Tim at Keel Bros. and ask, and if you think of it, tell him . . . I referred you!

Shuey

PS: Here's Tim's number - (770) 963-7374
    Last edited by Shuey; 08-06-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added phone number

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

I put one of these in my KLR. Ballistic recommends the eight cell, but the twelve cell was still smaller and lighter than the OEM. (And, more CCA is always better.) We also put one in Brian's VTX. Two Brothers gets a bit under $180, shipping included. I got mine locally for about $170, tax included. (Parts Unlimited wholesales them, so just about any of the suppliers can get them.) The Yuasa in my ST cost $150 a couple of years ago.
    Roger Smith
    '05 ST1300 '09 KLR650 '12 XR1200X

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Re: ST1300 - Ballistic Battery Install

Great stuff Shuey, thanks!... moving to the article section.

Bike
    1200RT, 1200GS
    My Gallery

Re: ST1300 - Ballistic Battery Install

Shuey,

Thanks for documenting the battery installation. One thing I like about the new battery is the connecting bolts. The "standard" batteries have those goofy "nested nuts" that secure the connecting bolts and wires...after you spend 10 minutes fishing around trying to make the connection.

Your new battery appears to simply have built in nuts that the bolts would drop right into...looks like connecting multiple wires would be a lot easier with the new battery. I like it.

Also like not having to worry about connecting a battery tender.

But $180?? Ow.

Bob
    Last edited by bobframe; 08-08-2012 at 05:33 AM.

We do not take a trip; the trip takes us.

Bob Frame

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast