Article [13] ST1300 - Ballistic Battery Install

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I had a cell (probably) going out in my Yuasa battery . . . no shame as it'd been drained a couple of times. I was surprised it lasted this long. So, I called our friend Tim at Keel Brothers (I had to look up Two Brothers new business name) who recommended a Ballistic EVO2 12-cell Lithium Ferrous battery replacement. He noted it was a little smaller than STock and A LOT LIGHTER, and recommending I just use the packing foam that comes with it to fill in the extra space. Battery ordered and received a day and a half later.

So, today was the day and this is how the install went . . .

First, here's the new Ballistic 12 cell battery. If the specs are right, it's going to be a great choice: 410CCA, doesn't need maintenance charging when your not riding for awhile as it loses less than 10% of it's total charge over a 12 month period of inactivity, it's compatible with our ST charging systems and chargers (the only caveat being don't use a charger that desulficates), it is a lot lighter and somewhat smaller.

OK, have a new battery (seems like a toy or display fake - really), remove the Yuasa.

Let's just set this puppy in there and see what we've got. We do have a little space.

Let's compare the old and the new. Length: Yuasa about 5 7/8", Ballistic 4 7/16" leaving about 1 7/16" of space to fill.

Width/Depth . . . they're the same. No adjustment needed here.

Height at the back of the battery: Yuasa 4 5/16", Ballistic 3 3/4". Gonn'a need about 1/2" of something to fill in at the top.

So, to fill in the empty space, I used the pliable packing form that the Ballistic battery arrived in, a box cutter and a ruler.

Being the detail oriented person that I am, I played around for a little while taking copious measurements of everything then adjusting them to account for the compressibility of the foam, then was poised to make my first cut . . . hey, dummy (I said to myself, not you) it'll compress, give it an extra 1/8" or so and just cut it. I cut a 7/8" strip off each end of the foam, then cut a 3 1/2 inch length from each one of them for the bottom filler on both ends of the battery.

So, here's the battery installed with the foam in place. One of the shorter pieces went on top of the longer one on the left side and the other short piece went on top towards the back of the battery under where the battery clamp will rest.

OK, here it is clamped in. All snug . . . not going anywhere.

At first glance the plastic piece that fits over the battery covered the battery terminals . . . guess I'll have to cut them back a little. Hmmmm, the new battery isn't as tall, maybe . . . yep, all the wires (and I have an extra one or two) bolted onto the battery just fine, using the new bolts provided, and fit comfortably under the plastic cover. All done but putting on the outside panel. Easy breezy.

Any questions, let me know.
Shuey

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Re: Ballistic Battery Install

I have put over 6,000 miles on the Ballistic with no problems. Congratulations Shuey. You might want to put a small digital volt meter on your bike to keep tabs on the electrical system.
Thank you. Good to know it's working for you. In my hand it sure feels like a toy!

The post is finished now with all the pics. I use a Volt Monitor rather than a meter that I'd have to read. The monitor flashes an LED: Red, Amber, Green; solid or flashing to indicate volts in the system. Green is good, Amber and Red . . . need more revs. :) Flashing Red indicates less than acceptable voltage (I forget the exact number) which was my first indication my YUSA batter had at least one bad cell and needed replacing.

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Is the price for the Ballistic higher or lower than the Yuasa?

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Is the price for the Ballistic higher or lower than the Yuasa?
Don't know since I didn't price a Yuasa. Call Tim at Keel Bros. and ask, and if you think of it, tell him . . . I referred you! ;)

Shuey

PS: Here's Tim's number - (770) 963-7374

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

I put one of these in my KLR. Ballistic recommends the eight cell, but the twelve cell was still smaller and lighter than the OEM. (And, more CCA is always better.) We also put one in Brian's VTX. Two Brothers gets a bit under $180, shipping included. I got mine locally for about $170, tax included. (Parts Unlimited wholesales them, so just about any of the suppliers can get them.) The Yuasa in my ST cost $150 a couple of years ago.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great stuff Shuey, thanks!... moving to the article section.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Shuey,

Thanks for documenting the battery installation. One thing I like about the new battery is the connecting bolts. The "standard" batteries have those goofy "nested nuts" that secure the connecting bolts and wires...after you spend 10 minutes fishing around trying to make the connection.

Your new battery appears to simply have built in nuts that the bolts would drop right into...looks like connecting multiple wires would be a lot easier with the new battery. I like it.

Also like not having to worry about connecting a battery tender.

But $180?? Ow.

Bob

Last edited:
STOC #
....doesn't need maintenance charging when your not riding for awhile as it loses less than 10% of it's total charge over a 12 month period of inactivity....

Just a subjective (i.e. my opinion) note of caution based on what I read on the Shorai website, and my personal observations. The "key-off" current draw of the various on-board electronics put a continuous draw on the battery, so the battery is never truly "inactive", unless it's disconnected. After I installed the Shorai in my bike, I monitored the voltage over a several day period, and watched as the voltage slowly dropped.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Normal quiescent load is 2.5ma so it shouldn't be an issue unless you have something misbehaving or installed drawing power when the bike is off.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am using the Shorai and I did buy the Shorai charger as I wasnt sure about my charger having a desulfation cycle. I like the fact that the Shorai charger has a storage mode that brings the voltage down to 80% and maintains it. Or something like that. It looks like the one you got is a bit larger than the Shorai. And I agree with you they feel strange they are so light total weight of the battery and shipping box I got was 2.5lbs. The Shorai was only about $25-$30 more than a Yuasa.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Shuey,
One thing I like about the new battery is the connecting bolts. The "standard" batteries have those goofy "nested nuts" that secure the connecting bolts and wires...after you spend 10 minutes fishing around trying to make the connection.

Your new battery appears to simply have built in nuts that the bolts would drop right into...looks like connecting multiple wires would be a lot easier with the new battery. I like it.
Bob
You're right Bob, it is a lot easier. With the extra wires being attached I thought I might have to go to ACE and pick up some slightly longer bolts, but . . . didn't need to. The bolts that came with the battery were just fine, and . . . a 10mm head. No additional tool to carry! :)

Shuey

PS: Fred, thanks for the note of warning. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Not expecting a problem.

I have a Shorai installed in my DR650 and my Pacific Coast. When I need a battery in my ST1300 I will buy another Shorai for it. The Shorai has been in my DR for a couple of years and I do not use a charger on it. Here in Arizona my garage temperatures hover between 80 and a 100 degrees. High temps can kill a regular battery but it does not bother the Shorai in the DR. I have let it sit for months during the summer and it fires right up in the Fall.
The Shorai does cost a little more but at my age jump starting a bike can be dangerous to my health. To me it is money well spent.

Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
Nice write up. I'm considering a Ballistic, among others, and found your pics helpful.

As someone who is just starting to digest lithium technology (as a starting battery), I'm finding that there's a lot more than what meets the eye when comparing ratings.

For anyone interested in getting neck deep in lithium info, there's a really good read over on ADV that I found very helpful:

Lithium Battery Thread on ADV

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
For anyone interested in getting neck deep in lithium info, there's a really good read over on ADV that I found very helpful:

Lithium Battery Thread on ADV
Wow, thanks for pointing the way to Joel Wisman's ADV article Jim. Just finished reading . . . the whole thing (all 15 pages), and am close to brain dead at the moment. Great unbiased and detailed testing of batteries, and when I note "detailed" that's an understatement! There's also a lot of detail about test and measuring equipment for any electron geeks who want to take a look!

Results speak volumes for his specific match-ups: Shorei takes it in the shorts as a non-starter and Antigravity gets top marks as his current battery of choice of those he's tested.

He notes 12 cells are better for routine use, but 16 would be better yet. He also notes that Ballistic's battery is probably similar to Shorei BUT can't make the call until he tests one.

So, anyone near St Louis with a Ballistics battery that can stop by to see him for some testing?

My Ballistic 12 cell battery is installed and hopefully it's NOT similar to the Shorei batteries Joel tested.

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I am using the Shorai and I did buy the Shorai charger as I wasnt sure about my charger having a desulfation cycle. I like the fact that the Shorai charger has a storage mode that brings the voltage down to 80% and maintains it. Or something like that.
Ditto for me! So far it's been great. Turns the engine over fast than I ever remember it with the lead acid batteries I've used. I've been through 3 of those. Hoping to get better life from this one.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
There is room for a fusebox beside the battery now!! Wow!!
He couldn't have come up with that all by himself!! ;) That is a fantastic idea. You'd want some kind of hollow spacer to hold the battery in place, yet allow the fusebox to fit in.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Does this mean that I don't need to hang out with the zombie and search for brains?

Top Bottom