Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Does this mean that I don't need to hang out with the zombie and search for brains?
Hopefully . . . she doesn't lurk around the site here when you're down at the "beach" ogling the women, to read your referring to her that way!

Just say'ing,

Shuey

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
LOL!! Shuey, you are a troublemaker!! I'll be able to keep out of her reach for a while though.

Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
Wow, thanks for pointing the way to Joel Wisman's ADV article Jim. Just finished reading . . . the whole thing (all 15 pages), and am close to brain dead at the moment. Great unbiased and detailed testing of batteries, and when I note "detailed" that's an understatement!
No problem Shuey. I'm anxious for Joel's testing to resume but I'm going to need a battery sooner than later and for now, the Antigravity seems to come out on top. I can tell you I have two friends that have been running 12 cell Ballistics for a year or so with zero issues. Those 16 cell units are a serious investment...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Any idea on the AH capacity of that 12-cell compared to the OEM lead acid battery?

The Ion drive is no problem, but I've got a bunch of LEDs, an Ion Drive warmer for the winter and a replicator for Earl Gray, hot. The Ballistic site recommends their 16-cell "if your powersports vehicle has modified motor, additional electrical accessories...

A 16-cell is not even a consideration.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
:bow1:Great installation Shuey, my install looks just like yours.................copied to the "Tee":D

Thanks for the "How to!"
Macedo

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Shuey,

Its been 60+ days...any early reactions to the new battery?

BTW, are you using any sort of charging device with the battery? I recently experienced a "battery letdown" with my Yuasa (after 15 minutes of headlight aiming/adjusting- I had insufficient power to start the bike)...was curious if you've had any similar experiences?

Bob

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Shuey,

Its been 60+ days...any early reactions to the new battery?

BTW, are you using any sort of charging device with the battery? I recently experienced a "battery letdown" with my Yuasa (after 15 minutes of headlight aiming/adjusting- I had insufficient power to start the bike)...was curious if you've had any similar experiences?

Bob
Hey Bob,

Good question, well, I turn the key, power comes on and the bike starts. Battery works fine.

Now, I have had a time or two when I've also worked on adjusting headlights or checking something or other on the bike, Voltage monitor flashing red (indicates battery is being killed) as usual and, although I didn't time it, seems like I went longer than other times and still no problem starting the bike after I came to my senses. In the past, I have not been so fortunate with my Yusas. It is really hard to push start an ST on an incline going the wrong way! :)

When the bike has sat for awhile, it starts up fine, but watching the voltage monitor I can see how long it takes to recharge. The Ballistic battery holds it's charge better (loses less) than the Yusas I've used previously. It sat for several weeks and I intentionally didn't put it on the Battery Tender Jr. It started up just fine.

Although the Ballistic also advertises it's advantage of smaller size and much lighter weight (factual, feels like an empty toy) . . . those aren't really factors for me since I treat my ST like a pack mule.

I think it's a better choice. Holds it's power, recharges quickly and delivers a more consistently level output.

Shuey

PS: I have used a battery tender twice now with the Ballistic and it gets to "green" much more quickly and hasn't had any problems remaining hooked up for a period of days. I ride enough generally that I probably don't really need it with the Ballistic.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #
I will be interested what your thoughts are when/if you overnight where is gets cold out at night.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Ballistics Battery, 10 Month Update:

Well, I've now run the battery in the heat (sustained 102 for a few hours) and in the cold (-2 to 5 for several hours in Feb) and it runs great. After sitting in the motel parking lot overnight at -2 degrees, it finally was slow to crank (summer oil might have been a leeeetle thick?), but . . . it cranked without letting up at all until the engine came to life.

I haven't put it on a charger since it's first charging after the install last August and . . . no problems here either. It sat for 6 weeks or so unattended and cranked right up first time.

After sitting for weeks, my voltage monitor indicates the Ballistics takes longer (about an hour after sitting for 3 weeks) to fully recharge it's 12 cells than the Yusa did (20-30 minutes). But it's while I'm riding, so . . . don't care.

I think the Yusa is a great battery, but the Ballistics is even better; longer legs, more durable, even power output, minimal power loss when inactive over time . . . reliable. Worth every penny. The evaluation continues now to see how long it lasts.

Thanks to Gator6 for emailing me a request for an update.

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
As others have stated, it fit perfect using Shuey's method. I had my wife check out his post, then make the cut-outs and it worked great. I could not believe the difference when I cranked over the engine after installing this battery. I will post again as to status of the battery. Thanks again Shuey!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Shuey if youfind yourself in the cold again simply turn on the key and let it sit a few seconds it warms up the battery and will crank better.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Shuey,

Read the thread and although it seems like a lot of money out of pocket, I think I will give it a go. I have been through too many batteries already.

Bike
2004 ST1300
UPDATE on My Ballistic Battery - Battery was installed and has worked great since installation (about a month). Bike broke down Monday and I was stranded on highway with a trailer (including lights for the trailer) for more than five hours. I had the emergency flasher on the entire time. Bike started with no issues as if I just getting started on my day. Bike was subsequently started about four or five more times that day without any time given to recharge battery with no indication of weakness. Bike started without hesitation or issue. Great battery, great review to a rider who wants a sense of security for a long time. Thanks Shuey and others!

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
My Ballistic has worked great for a year. I left it untended in my garage [ cold climate ] for 5 months. It fired right up when I cranked it up this April.

However, I have a [ slightly unrelated ] problem-- My local Honda dealer advised the 8 cell for my ST1300, which I bought without checking with Ballistic. It began resetting the trip odometer and clock some 3-4 times over 25 starts during a recent 1500 mile ride. I'm contacting the dealer to see about trading it for the 12 cell and paying the diff $.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I've been using LiFePo batteries for a couple years now with mixed results. I can't comment on the Ballistic specifically, but the technology is the same.
I've had 8 cell MOTY batteries in my VFR and RC51. The VFR is fine for 8-9 months out of the year. Cold morning starts are tough, usually with the clock and trip meters resetting due to low power. My friend with another VFR had the same issues and was able to trade it in for a 12 cell. He reports no issues at all with a 12 cell on his VFR800. I haven't used my VFR for commuting, so it didn't need to start in the coldest part of the day, or sit outside at work overnight, and I've been ok lately with the 8 cell.
On the RC51, the 8 cell simply isn't enough. Even on warm weather starts, with an overnight (or longer) shut down, it wouldn't start. Just not enough CCA to get the big VTwin cranking.
The 8 cell are really better suited to Inline 4 sportbikes. Small displacement, small pistions, short cranks, etc., all easier to get spinning with a cool engine.
I'd go with a 12 cell for any V engine, IMHO. Even the 800 V4 needs the few extra CCA's over a 600 or even 1000 inline. If you live in a particularly cool climate, do not even think about an 8 cell! I live in GA, and our mild winters are tough on the 8 cell starting.
Once the engine warms up, however, they work just fine. I would use another battery to boost the RC51 starting, and never think about it again all day riding.

Top Bottom