Don't forget your Deet

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sheesh, can't ride without the blood suckers either after your blood or money or both! :eek:4:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
In our area there is a significant reduction in the number of mosquitos due to the draught, but the number of West Nile cases is going up. I would hate to see what would happen if we had a bumper crop of those blood suckers.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Deet is the answer if you're trying to keep them from biting you. But if you want revenge, follow Skidlid's method. I watched a mosquito land on Ron's forehead after he had consumed a fair amount of Southern Comfort 101 at Moonshine. The mosquito swelled up with a load of Ron's blood, pulled out his stinger, flew unsuccessfully to the ground beside Ron, rolled on its side and died. :rofl1: :rofl1:

Bike
2007 ST1300
Good gouge Mellow. Additionally, I'm seeing more Lyme and RMSF (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) as well.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm reviving this old thread - due to all the crazy rain we're getting this year in most of the country, there's going to be more standing water in areas where it remains stagnant and does not flow as it would with a stream, river or creek. Therefore, many more habitats for mosquitoes will exist. Heck, I can walk outside for just about 1 minute and come back in w/at least one bite.

It may be a good idea to spray something on you even if you are just going to mow the yard and not only if you are out touring on a trip.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I usually don't get misquote bites, but have gotten many this year. But, I am spending more time outdoors working in the yard... (maybe I'm a little more savory than I used to be);)

Bike
2005 Concours
FWIW.....be careful when spraying any repellent near or on your watch crystal. It will definetly fog up the crystal. I've ruined two watches over the years, not being careful. Just thought I'd pass that info on.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
FWIW.....be careful when spraying any repellent near or on your watch crystal. It will definetly fog up the crystal. I've ruined two watches over the years, not being careful. Just thought I'd pass that info on.
Thanks for that tip.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Only if it is a plastic crystal, actual glass is impervious to the stuff. But plastics definitely are not. That includes the plastic lens on the front of a flashlight, plastic frames on glasses (or the plastic that holds the lens in on a half-frame), or plastic lens in the glasses themselves.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In urban areas where skeets may be less numerous yet still a nuisance a rub of exposed skin with a dryer sheet can discourage a bite without chemicals like Deet. Of course the chemicals in a dryer sheet may be just as hazardous

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
100% Deet is powerful stuff. We had a bottle spill in a work truck years ago....it ate a hole clear thru the seat. Since then, I have used it more cautiously.

As for that pair of feet.....me thinks he should try adding a little Deet to a round of Jublia!!!!!!! Dang, man!!

John

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Yep, those varmints are rampant up here in the Northeast and a few years back I wound up with the ubiquitous bulls-eye and on antibiotics, but I caught it pretty quick so no harm done. Whenever hiking/walking through grassy areas I wear light colored pants with the socks OUTSIDE so I can easily see them walking up my legs. Many others aren't nearly as fortunate. Don't underestimate them and always be prepared. Thanks for reviving this, Joe. It is an easily overlooked nuisance, yet mostly preventable. Remember... ATGATT ;-)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The little varmints seem to be rampant this year in particular, and it's been a dry enough season for people to say we need rain. When I walk through the lawn, I stir up hundreds of them and I don't recall them being this plentiful in recent years. What kills them is a good heat wave that lasts a few days.......

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
What kills them is a good heat wave that lasts a few days.......
That's utter non-sense. Their reproductive rate increases as their metabolism raises when it warms up. As water temperature increases the larvae develop faster shortening their life-cycle. A shorter life-cycle means the adults mate and lay eggs faster, creating more mosquitoes.

DEET is the best way to prevent being bitten......other than NOT emitting any CO2 as this is what they use to detect prey. Soap, cologne, shampoo, dryer sheets do absolutely nothing to either attract or deter the little buggers.

Dump the water out of any containers in the yard and try to remove any standing water nearby. If you have a water garden, you can purchase BTi discs to place in the water. These are safe for pets and kids. Make sure it is the Israeli strain of BT and not regular BT.

Its a bad time for mosquitoes in the south this year and it will be for a long time.
Your resident entomologists,
Mike

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Not entirely, when it dries up their breading environment disappears. At least here in central Texas. I generally see very few in August unless it's a rainy year like 2006 and this year looks to be wet.
Yes it is....he didn't say anything about drying.......he said "heat wave". Those are two, totally different events. No water equals no habitat and will reduce the numbers of mosquitoes drastically. A heat wave speeds up reproduction and you have the opposite effect.
Mike

Top Bottom