Motion Pro Bleeder

I am about to purchase the Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder, 08-0143 and I am a little confused by the instructions on their website. They list 7 steps to using the tool. Step 5 is a little confusing to me. It states:
5. To ensure proper operation of this tool, it is necessary to prime it. To do this, position the tool vertically and begin to
depress the lever/pedal, making sure to close the bleeder screw when pressure is not applied, repeat until brake
fluid is seen in the outlet hose. Position the outlet hose of the tool into a brake fluid catch can.

http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/2565/instructions_for_motion_pro_hydraulic_brake_bleeder__08-0143/

Step 5 talks about pressing the lever/pedal & closing the bleeder screw but none of the previous steps say anything about opening the bleeder screw. Plus, this step implies the bleeder screw can only be open when pressure is applied to the lever/pedal. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using the tool?

It's been a long day maybe I'm just having a thick head. :)

Thanks,
tman

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Calling Larry - Calling Larry - Igofar answer the batphone!!!

He knows all there is to know about the motion-pro bleeder.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Calling Larry - Calling Larry - Igofar answer the batphone!!!

He knows all there is to know about the motion-pro bleeder.
Sorry for the late reply, I had the batphone on vibrate :D
As far as the instructions go....do you own a bird or parrot?
This paper would be good to line the bottom of the cage with.
Ignore the instruction sheet!
The tool should come with clear plastic tubing attached to it already. There will be a long piece (that goes to the catch bottle or container) and a shorter piece, that
will go to the nipple you are bleeding.
Make sure the directional arrow on the tool is pointing in the correct positon. (from the nipple to the catch bottle).
Simply attached the short tube to the nipple, and place the long end, well you should know....
After the master cylinder is full of clean fluid, simply apply pressure to the lever, then gently crack open the nipple just far enough to allow the fluid to flow through slowly.
If you open it too far, you'll get air leaks from the threads.
There is NO need to PRIME anything. If you point the tool straight up, the fluid should go all the way to the tool, with one pull of the lever, and the first time you crack the nipple.
If for some reason, your using longer tubing (aftermarket) and the fluid does not reach the tool on the first attempt, simply close the bleeder nipple as you would manually,
and pull the lever a second time, then crack it open again.
Its late, I'm tired, the wife is sick, and I can't think straight at the moment....If this does not make sense and answer your question, please feel free to PM me your phone number
and I'll call you tomorrow and explain in detail how to use this magnificant little tool.
Igofar

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
If for some reason, your using longer tubing (aftermarket) and the fluid does not reach the tool on the first attempt, simply close the bleeder nipple as you would manually,
and pull the lever a second time, then crack it open again.
But close the bleed nipple BEFORE you release the lever!!

You can do the bleed without a MP tool, but you would be opening and closing the nipple a whole bunch of times! You'd need a few extra hands and then there is still room for error. I didn't use the tool for the clutch, but it would've been easier, except that I had a helper that day.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
But close the bleed nipple BEFORE you release the lever!!

You can do the bleed without a MP tool, but you would be opening and closing the nipple a whole bunch of times! You'd need a few extra hands and then there is still room for error. I didn't use the tool for the clutch, but it would've been easier, except that I had a helper that day.
Thanks for throwing that out there Bill, My brain was like oatmeal last night...

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
We should also add that after it has been "primed", (the fluid reaches the tool), there is no need to close the nipple between pulls, or pushes of the lever.

I run more fluid through than is maybe necessary. Sometimes two or more resevoirs full, until the fluid is coming out clear.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
We should also add that after it has been "primed", (the fluid reaches the tool), there is no need to close the nipple between pulls, or pushes of the lever.

I run more fluid through than is maybe necessary. Sometimes two or more resevoirs full, until the fluid is coming out clear.
And that folks, just about does it.....so ends the story of how little red riding hood bled her brakes with a motion pro brake bleeding tool :D
Thanks for the help.
Igofar

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
It made sense to me Larry and I don't have the tool!
I've got the tool and now am considering getting a parrot. I'm not sure why I never thought of using the instructions in such an intuitive manner.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Its great for cars, too. You don't have to worry about having a second person at whatever rear corner you are bleeding. Just press the pedal long and slowly to get the fluid thru the tool. Key is keeping a very short piece of tubing between the bleed valve and the tool. I use something around a 3-inch length. Then run a long length to you canister.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Not trying to hijack the thread - if you have trouble finding a Motion Pro bleeder, you can also use a Speed Bleeder (most auto parts stores sell a two-pack in various sizes). I've been using a modified speed bleeder as a one-way check valve to bleed the brakes for several years - works great.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345995466.262167.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled program... :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Not trying to hijack the thread - if you have trouble finding a Motion Pro bleeder, you can also use a Speed Bleeder (most auto parts stores sell a two-pack in various sizes). I've been using a modified speed bleeder as a one-way check valve to bleed the brakes for several years - works great.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345995466.262167.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled program... :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I respect those who think outside of the box when problem solving. Thanks for sharing. I also started that way out of necessity. I just wish I would have come up with the idea to sell and market one
like Motion Pro did. I could have retired already. LOL
Ride safe

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'm just curious, does anybody use the clip that comes with the Motion Pro?
I find the clear tubing that comes with the tool, too soft. I replaced it with clear tubing from the hardware store,
and no longer have any problems. I trim about 1/4 inch off when the tubing starts to get a memory from the nipple.
I've never had to use the clips.

OP
OP
Thanks. I went on a misson today trying to find tubing to fit the Motion Pro tool. I tried fish tank supply stores and different auto supply stores. I finally found the right size tubing at O'Reilly's.

Thanks,
tman

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks. I went on a misson today trying to find tubing to fit the Motion Pro tool. I tried fish tank supply stores and different auto supply stores. I finally found the right size tubing at O'Reilly's.

Thanks,
tman
The clear tubing you want is 5/16 OD - 3/16 ID. Do not use anything you get at a pet or fish supply store, It is too soft and made from the wrong material and will disolve after a few bleeds.
hope this helps.
Igofar

Top Bottom