What's the deal with Deflector Kits and Heat?

I am the owner of a new 2010 ST 1300. After putting the first 800 miles on the bike here in sunny Florida this summer I am feeling the heat that has been discussed on this form several times. Mostly, when stopped and when riding with less than adequate protection over my shins.

I am considering ordering the Mirror and Faring deflector kit accessories from Honda to help with the heat per the dealer?s recommendation. However, I would love to get some feedback from this forum on the riding experience (both single and double rider) with the deflector kits used in hot climates.

If anyone has other ways to keep cool while riding in hot climates with these great bikes I would love to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Any added benefits of the deflectors would be great as well. For example, I was told that they help with the high speed wobble problem as well.

Thanks,
Tampa Tim

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I have the deflectors, but never rode it without them. Some take out the inner fairing pieces, or drill holes in them to help airflow and reduce heat, but if you do, you have to stabilize the outer fairings. I never found it necessary.

My bike is stable to about 120 with a trunk on. Probably more without it, but I've never tried.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
There is really no benefit from deflectors referncing the heat issue. I've had them on my 2004 since the first year, and, well, the heat is the heat. The real benefit with the deflectors while riding in the cold weather. That will likely not apply to you since you're location in the south, unless, of course, you start riding through out the country.

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
FWIW - I logged 30k miles on an 04 ST w/o deflectors and have ridden just shy of 3k miles on a 12 ST with fairing deflectors as well. Here is what I've learned:
1) any extended ride requires the driver to be dressed properly. I wear at a minimum leather boots and jeans. The ST is not flip-flop and Speedo frindly.
2) the fairing deflectors reduce the amount of hot air flowing on your shins.
3) the fairing deflectors improves the rider envelope by enlarging it.
4) given you have a 2010 model they'd look great on it.

While the fairing deflector has improved my riding experience it has had no noticeable effect on the much discussed and debated nut roasting syndrome. NRS for short.

Good luck

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
I, too, have found the deflectors will make a difference in the heat reaching your shins while moving. Ridden 10000 without the deflectors and 25000 with. Proper riding attire will reduce the felt heat to an insignificant amount. I use the body deflector set only, not the mirror set.
I do not have a rear trunk and have never had any instability issues up to and past 130mph.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Wairing mesh gear works for me, it is cooler then wairing jeans. I too have both deflectors and it really helps keep the cold air off your hands and the heat while driving away from your legs. They look great also!!!

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have the deflectors on my ST and my wife's ST does not, I know that the deflectors do push a lot of heat away from you from riding both in the same weather. I would get them as they look nice and work great. Enjoy!!

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
There is really no benefit from deflectors referncing the heat issue. I've had them on my 2004 since the first year, and, well, the heat is the heat. The real benefit with the deflectors while riding in the cold weather. That will likely not apply to you since you're location in the south, unless, of course, you start riding through out the country.
Same for me - I also own a 04 and have always had them on. I don't own one but I have heard they make body cooling vests to wear under your gear
that work. My only solution so far is finding roads with no stops and doing a speed that is cooling and hope none of my former co-workers are around :)

Byron

STOC #
Layering is the key to beating heat. Boots with taller tops keep hot air off the shins. Riding pants over another set of pants and underwear that wicks perspiration also help. Adjusting the windshield to block the blast of hot air, for me anything over 90+ degrees, instead of lowered should help. As long as the humidity is low and temperature is high you can also look into cooling vests.

Hope this helps.

following one of the guys on here i lifted the tank and airbox and insulated with foil bubble wrap and foil tape and bulked it out at the back where the tank mounts
i then put a layer under the seat going behind the panels and another taped to the seat itself. we dont get super hot weather in the uk but my tank has gone from very hot to stone cold. i still get heat from the lower fairings which i could pull and insulate to stop the fairings and frame getting hot but some heat will be nice come winter.
in regards to the deflecters i ride with my knees out slightly so i think it would cook them plus im used to naked bikes in the winter so my 1300 will be heaven

Top Bottom