The Dunlop Blister strikes again!

When I bought my '03, the previous owner had installed new Dunlop Roadsmarts not long before I bought the bike so they were essentially new. Since then, I've put 10,000 miles on the bike. Friday, I checked air pressure before going out to run errands, found the front to be down about 4 lbs., and brought it back up to 42 lbs. While out, I noticed a thumping in the front so when I got home I checked the tire. Yep, the dreaded Dunlop Blister about 8" long right in the center of the tire! Actually, it wasn't until I checked the forum that I found that this seems to be a common occurance with this tire. I'm lucky it didn't happen on my Yooper Loop through Michigan's UP a couple of weeks ago. It's interesting that, like the other forum comments mention, only the front tire has the problem and more often than not at about 10,000 miles.

I'm waiting for a couple of final prices on PR3s and Bridgestones promised for tomorrow, Monday. I'll have to get the bike trailered, though; can't ride it this way. I'm hoping my road side service will cover the pick up.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good catch-call Marv. you sure don't need a blowout on the front at speed.

Raymond

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Marv, you could have an older Roadsmart on there. Haven't seen many of these failures since the big surge a couple years ago. so probably still a tire from those bad batches. That being said, it was enough to turn me off Dunlop for a while anyway.

OP
OP
PR3s should be here tomorrow, Thursday at the latest. Got 'em from Two Brothers. I wanted to use a local dealer but he was talking a week delivery and $50.00 more. I would have liked to have purchased locally, even for a few dollars more, but the week delivery killed the deal. Even then, I still would have had to have someone else mount the tires because he sells but doesn't mount. When the tires get here, I've got someone who who wrenches for me when I need it come and pick up the bike and the tires because I don't have a trailer. He'll mount the tires for me. Hopefully, I'll be riding by Friday.

OP
OP
Finally got the PR3s mounted yesterday and picked the bike up. Almost 2 weeks from the 1st day I noticed the issue with the front Dunlop. Crazy. One hold up after another with the Labor Day weekend slowing everything. The old Dunlops were built in August of '08, within the time frame of the build dates of the other failed tires that came up on the message strings. I bought the bike in June of 2010 and the PO had just installed the tires so they'd been sitting in a warehouse someplace for a while.

Top Bottom