How far to push PR2's?

Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #
I currently have 8k on both front and rear set of PR2's. I will be leaving on a 3k trip in 3 weeks. This is my first set of PR2's. I am having a hard time guestimating how much life is left in these tires. The wear bars seem pretty deep in the groove and not exactly right in the middle of the tire where most of the wear is. I have a set of PR3's in the garage ready to be installed, but the cheap side of me hates to take the PR2's off prematurely, but the safety side of me wonders whether the PR2's will make it my entire trip. Seems like most of the posts about PR2's have been showing something like 10-12k, while some are getting much more than that. My trip will be from eastern Kansas to Vegas and back, about 1,500 miles each way. Hate to start another tire tread, but sure would appreciate feedback from those of you used to using PR2's. :confused:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
There isn't a lot of life left after you hit the wear bars in my experience with the PR2s.
Tire life depends on the type of riding you do, type of road surface, bike load... your mileage will vary.

If you aren't close to the wear bars you prolly have 3k left no problem.
If your trip is to go hammer some twisties put the 3s on.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You're asking... second guessing... replace the tires and remove all doubt, or pay the man big bucks on the road.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
just scout out a couple places for a change on your trip. I use em if needed, and but work out pricing ahead of time.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you have 8 on them now and they are okay and the tread looks deep then you're probably fine. Shoot some pics if you can w/penny in the tread on a wear bar and then do the same on the new set you have.

The front will be fine, just an issue with the rear but I think you'll be okay... it's just 3k miles.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I changed mine somewhere after 10K, prior to leaving on a trip. I figure that after 10K I've gotten my money's worth, and I don't want to worry while I'm on the road. Depending on where you ride, the road may wear your tires more quickly than here in KS. (Texas chipseal is notorious for eating tires.) New tires will work better in the rain, too. I keep the best set of take offs in case someone passing through needs a tire to get home. (Remember that if you seek cord showing as you pass through Wichita. I'm on the RAN list...) You'll probably be OK running the current tires, but you'll definitely be OK on a new set. It all boils down to your comfort level. The fact that you're asking may indicate something in this respect.

Bike
'05 ST1300
Hey all, I had my PR2s installed in NC in March. I just passed 32,000 km (20,000 miles) on them and they will see me through the rest of this season (only anticipate 2-3000 km till riding is done here in NB). I am very, very pleased with these tires and will definitely have another set. Kevinh, there is some great advice above, and if there was the least doubt in my mind that these were not sound -and I had spares in me garage- I would change them. Have a safe ride! PK

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Hey all, I had my PR2s installed in NC in March. I just passed 32,000 km (20,000 miles) on them and they will see me through the rest of this season (only anticipate 2-3000 km till riding is done here in NB). I am very, very pleased with these tires and will definitely have another set. Kevinh, there is some great advice above, and if there was the least doubt in my mind that these were not sound -and I had spares in me garage- I would change them. Have a safe ride! PK
Are you serious?!? Good on ya! My last several sets of tires have been PR2s and the most I've gotten was 17,000 kms one set. And I saw cords showing once on the rear (on the side:) )with only 15,000 kms. I check the air pressure weekly, or before any significant ride, and keep it at 42-44 lbs.

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
I think it was Mellow that said something like there are only 3 phases for Motorcycle tires -- New, Worn just a little, Worn out. When the tires start to go, they go FAST. One day the tires look fine, you go around the block and they're shot. This summer, I was at 12,000 miles on a set of PR2s with a 2,500-mile trip coming up. I debated, I asked advice, I vacillated ...and then I mounted new tires before the trip -- PR3s, by the way. Best decision I could've made. Just sayin'...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think it was Mellow that said something like there are only 3 phases for Motorcycle tires -- New, Worn just a little, Worn out. When the tires start to go, they go FAST. One day the tires look fine, you go around the block and they're shot. This summer, I was at 12,000 miles on a set of PR2s with a 2,500-mile trip coming up. I debated, I asked advice, I vacillated ...and then I mounted new tires before the trip -- PR3s, by the way. Best decision I could've made. Just sayin'...
I don't think that was me.. LOL.. way to structured and thought-out.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I usually got from 8 - 10 on mine, but it varied... I would want new ones at the cheaper "front end" price (as mentioned) that somewhere "out on the road" The less things to worry about on a trip, the better for me
(Cause there's always what you dont know you need to worry about)

OP
OP
kevinh
Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #
If you have 8 on them now and they are okay and the tread looks deep then you're probably fine. Shoot some pics if you can w/penny in the tread on a wear bar and then do the same on the new set you have.

The front will be fine, just an issue with the rear but I think you'll be okay... it's just 3k miles.
Did the penny test as Joe suggested. That was eye opening to me. Without a penny or tread depth tool, it is hard to gauge how close the tread is to the wear bars. The tough thing for me to gauge on the PR2's was the fact that the wear bars are placed at various locations within the sipe. The sipe starts (or ends) in the middle of the tire and works its way in an angle towards the outside of the tire. The wear bars that were located closest to the middle of the tire were very close to the tread. The ones further out were obviously better.

I have attached three pictures with the penny. On both the front and rear tire, when the depth is measured closest to the center of the tire, it is not very deep, but when measured closer to the middle of the sipe (outside of tire), much better. Not too surprising in that most of my riding is commuting and the fact we mostly ride in Kansas, home of 11 curves in 318 miles!

I think I will change the tires before my trip and keep them as a spare in case I get a nail, etc. in a future set of tires. I would sure like to know what folks are doing to get 15-20K miles out of their PR2's! I sure appreciate the advice provided. As always, this forum is awesome in helping others.

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why take a chance to save a couple of bucks? I had only 7K on a set and was planning a 2K mile trip. I replaced them with new (just feel better not having to worry about tires). I then used them up later!

Top Bottom