Laser Jammers?

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
With more and more lasers being used...my questions is does anyone use a laser jammer? How do they work? Are they worth the money? What brand/ model do you use?

If you don't want to respond in public, could you pm me. Thanks! I don't want to spend the money if they are not really worth it. It seems like a subject not everyone wants to talk about.

Thanks, Dave

Just a warning most modern lasers will identify a jam. In some states jammers are not legal, Colorado being one of them. So check you local laws prior to deploying such devices. I am not a lawyer thus can not give legal advice, just giving a friendly heads up. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Just a warning most modern lasers will identify a jam. In some states jammers are not legal, Colorado being one of them. So check you local laws prior to deploying such devices. I am not a lawyer thus can not give legal advice, just giving a friendly heads up. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO
Just like radar detectors...ways around that...thanks!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
On the web so it must be true...
Illegal in
Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

Afaik they work by detecting the laser burst from the gun and respond with their own laser burst hoping to confuse the gun.

Radar detector detectors can sometimes be defeated with detectors that shift the IF frequency they emitt or other means to reduce their RF signature.

Laser jammers will be detected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I am really not looking for info on where they are illegal, yes, I know some states they are, I am really want info on if they work?...are they worth the money? etc.

Thanks anyway on the legal issues.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Laser jammers work, but their detectors have to be placed carefully. Since the laser gun makes such a narrow beam, if the detectors for the jammer are not close to the target the LEO is shooting at, the detection may fail and the jamming signal would not be sent. For a cage they usually aim at the license plate, so a jammer/detector up in your windshield or somewhere else on the front of the car might miss the signal.

For bikes I think they aim at the headlight, probably not as effective as a license plate, but also hard to conceal the jammers there.

Top Bottom