Dunlop Roadsmart - Early Generation - Question

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
As some of you know, I recently purchased an '05 ST13A that had been a garage queen for some time (7500 miles on it when I picked it up early this month). The PO said the tires only had about 200 miles on them. He was right, there was almost no wear and the "nubs of shame" were still on the tires. Because I forgot my buyer's checklist (600 miles from home) and I was so intent on getting the heck out of that part of Texas where the temps were in the 104 to 107 range, I didn't check the dot date code. When I got home I discovered that both tires had been manufactured in 2007.... the front one late in that year and the rear early. Then I remembered reading something about these tires in past years and went "ruh-roh!". :(

I've done a bunch of reading about these tires in the last couple of weeks. My impression is that it's the front tire only that has the problem. Is this correct??? If so I think I'll just replace the front for peace of mind and leave the rear on until it's either worn out or I'm about to head out on a LD trip.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would change it out as the front is the ones with the problems. If you were out this way I could hook you up with a brand new Metzler Z6 Interact tire I have in my parts room.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
The recall was for the front Roadsmart, manufactured in 2007 and 2008.

You should replace the front tire ASAP.

Top Bottom