timing belt pulley dimensions ?

Bike
st 1100s 95 pan
Hi folks. I am intending to change my timing belt and pulleys if required. I have managed to source a Gates T325 belt , which I am happy is equiv to OE honda (possibly IS OE honda). I think I will have to replace the tensioner and poss the idler as well, there is a noise coming from this area and I don't wish to take any chances.
I have a Gates catalogue which shows pulleys with dimensions so my question is does anyone have old ones lurking or are you in the middle of a timing belt change ,could you let me have dimensions of pulleys so I might identify Gates parts. ( I am certain that some of the Honda car parts are identical) If I find the correct ones I could save us all some cash!.
I want to source the parts before stripdown in order to minimise downtime .(got to make the most of the British summer weather..........:D)
Should mention bike is 95 ST1100s although I don't think there is much change over the years.
Thanks in advance Andy.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have a spare tensioner in the shop and I'll take a look/get dimensions. I recall looking up several Honda car tensioners to no avail.

Pay close attention to the water pump, as some have had them making noise/seizing in the past.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
OK, here's what I got ("eagle-eye" dims, no caliper, +-1mm)
Tensioner pulley is NSK, on the seal is "NSK 705 BPDWAX6 MADE IN JAPAN"
57mm Dia, 26mm wide. Has a 8mm mount hole, 12mm slot and 4mm hole for spring. Spring tab is about 3-4mm offset from pivot bolt mount.

Idler pulley: "NSK 923 STDWAX5 JAPAN"
50mm dia, 27mm wide (yep, wider than the tensioner) w/12mm mount hole.

Couple of pics:

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
That tensioner looks a lot like the Del Sol tensioner:

Edit: Never mind, they look identical...except mirror images of each other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wilko40
Bike
st 1100s 95 pan
Brilliant info and piccies ,thanks a lot guys . I will let you know if I figure out the equiv Gates parts.
Regards. Andy.

Bike
St1100
Hi there Andy
Did u ever find the gates equivalent??? I'm about to embark on the adventure of doing my timing belt to lol

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hi there Andy
Did u ever find the gates equivalent??? I'm about to embark on the adventure of doing my timing belt to lol
Andy hasn't been here since August 2014, so you may have better luck with a response if you private message him.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Brilliant info and piccies ,thanks a lot guys . I will let you know if I figure out the equiv Gates parts.
Regards. Andy.
I have tried to find an auto idler pulley that is the same as the ST1100 idler pulley, but couldn't find one. I looked at all the specs I could find on a bunch of Gates pulleys. Rock Auto lists specs on most of the parts they handle, BTW. So, it looks like we have to bite the bullet and get the OEM Honda pulleys. I just bought a set for my ST1100. I'll be eating rice & beans for a month or so ...........

I was able to find an auto idler pulley that would replace the pulley on my GL1100I tensioner , with a little work - win some, lose some.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just an FYI on this post: lipSTick (RIP) had a minor "chirp" noise from the front of the engine, glad I heard it when I did. Upon disassembly and inspection, found a tight dry bearing on the idler (not tension) pulley. Replaced it with the original off STick (nearly 200,000 mile used part) and cleared the problem. That part was functioning fine 10,000 miles later when she left us for good.

Top Bottom