Michelin PR3's (Pilot Road 3)

Bike
2009 ST1300A
Hi everybody!
Just wanted to let you know that I am having my Michelin PR3's installed today. Looking forward to see the difference. My original set of Battlax 020 have 19,000km's and starting to warp in the front, so it's time to change. Got them pretty cheap compared to the dealers out here or close to Montreal. If you are out there and shopping around make sure you take a look at Pete's Superbike in Vaudreuil (they also have a website and they do ship everywhere). Anyways, I trying to read on the different forums for tire pressure info. According to michelin which I wil post the info (taken from Michelin France); they basically indicate to ajust pressure to the manufacturer specification manual. (which is 42lbs front and back). I will post some additional comments to my observations and ride difference.
(Below info is in French, I have not found it in English yet)
(Vous devez veiller ? pr?server la qualit? et les performances de vos pneumatiques.
Les pressions indiqu?es sont purement indicatives. R?ferez vous au carnet d'entretien de votre v?hicule pour obtenir les pressions recommand?es par le constructeur. Ces informations peuvent ?tre indiqu? dans certains cas sur un autocollant pr?sent sur votre moto. Les informations et les documents propos?s sur le site de Michelin France sont fournis en l'?tat et sans aucune garantie. Michelin se r?serve le droit de modifier ou d'alt?rer tout contenu sans notification pr?alable.)
Frenchie:)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I think you'll like them.

Translation its the lawyers boiler plate info. Most run em 42psi front and rear.

(You must be careful to preserve the quality and performance of your tires.
The pressures given are purely indicative. Refer to the maintenance book of your vehicle to obtain the pressure recommended by the manufacturer. This information may be indicated in some cases this sticker on your motorcycle. The information and documents available on the website of Michelin France are provided as is and without warranty. Michelin reserves the right to modify or alter any content without notice.)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
They're new so I like em LOL.
Night and day from the PR2 toasted scalloped front and squared off PR3 that came off. Without swapping new scuffed in PR2 for 3s I really can't give a usefull opinion. IOW new vs. old is the huge difference via seat of the pants testing.

Can't really say about the wear yet we'll see.
This time I remembered to remember the mileage when they went on. 72500 in case I forget again LOL.

New sipe design does well in the rain. But the 2s did as well.
The rear 2 only stepped out a little in the rain when it was toast. The rear 3 didn't but it had some life in it when I (err rulbe) replaced both. :)

motoman

Prince of Darkness
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Are you gonna try the 180/55 on the back? I'm running the PR2's. The 180 gives you a much wider selection, and the diameter is almost identical.

Ran the PR3's for my recent Texas-Alaska-Texas Trip (10,000 mile total) and I love them. Despite the best (worst) roads the Yukon Territories could throw at them the tires rocked. In fact, they still look new.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Only have about 3000 on my PR3 but put maybe 23,000 on PR2's. Waiting to see mileage and "lumpiness" out of the PR3s as they get worn down. If I had been happy with the PR2s I'd still be running them.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Only have about 3000 on my PR3 but put maybe 23,000 on PR2's. Waiting to see mileage and "lumpiness" out of the PR3s as they get worn down. If I had been happy with the PR2s I'd still be running them.
Mick,
You got 23k out of a set a PR2s? AND you're not happy with them LOL.
I gotta ride on your roads.

I just had a set of PR3s installed yesterday. Looking forward to a long and beautiful relationship. :)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Mick,
You got 23k out of a set a PR2s? AND you're not happy with them LOL.
I gotta ride on your roads.
LOL heck no I got 23,000 out of a couple sets of PR2s..and you have ridden our roads...OH-SToc 08 remember? The mileage was good, but by the end they loked like Flinstone tires..all lumpy and out of round.

OP
OP
Frenchie
Bike
2009 ST1300A
Hi ST1300r, thanks for adding the detailed information from Michelin. As always you have to be careful the few first miles or km's.

Juat did 8,000 mi.on new PR3's from Colorado to Nova Scotia and back with some side trips and they still look to be excellent. I would estimate at least 40% tread remaining until the wear indicators. The best part so far is they haven't gotten as cupped and noisy as the PR2's at the same point. So far they are the best tire I've ever used on any bike and they were extremely easy to mount.
Also they are significantly lighter than the same size Metzlers I had in the garage for reserve. You can never have too little unsprung weight!

OP
OP
Frenchie
Bike
2009 ST1300A
Hey everybody! Thought that I give you an update on the my Michelin`s. If put on approx 500km`s this w/e in the Eastern Townships. The tires have somewhat roughed up a bit and showing excellent grip. They are smooth and quite. They actually feel lighter to the Battlax 020. Very easy to corner and leaning is a piece of cake. We still have a few weeks to profit until the cold starts to set in. Leaves are starting to change. Hope to put on a couple of good km's before the season ends.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Iv'e had two sets from Pete's and after 8-10,000 km the tread seams to cup on the sides. just past the center area. It's hinda wonkie. Let me know in 8-10,000 km how you make out. I'm wondering because their so cheep, if their seconds. Just putting it out there.

Lyle

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Right now I have a bit over 1600 miles on my set of PR3's. So far, so good. I like the way they handle compared to the original Bridgestones, but to date have not had them out in any type of rain, so I cannot speak to that point. I am anxious to see how long they last mileage wise, but as long as they last longer than the OEM's I will be happy.

OP
OP
Frenchie
Bike
2009 ST1300A
Follow up on the PR3`s. Mother nature hasn't been with us lately and haven`t had time to put some wear on new rubbers. Hopefully during our Thanksgiving w/e oct6-7 will be able to make it out to VT to put a few last miles on the bike. Will be passing through Stowe, Smugglers Notch area through the rte 100. If any one has any suggestions let me know. It would be kind of coll to meet some of the memebers.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I've got 10K on PR3's I put on in April and like them better than PR2's. The front shows much less wear than the rear. Neither are wearing faster in the center like the PR2's leaving the scalloped edge which also made them noisy in corners. Noise was my main complaint about the PR2. The 3's are better in rain and better all surfaces especially grooved or rough roads and provide a much smoother ride. Im' sold.

Bike
ST 1300 A 2005
Just received a set of PR3s for my 1300 from Pete's Superstore in Montreal. Came to $360 with tax and shipping to Calgary, AB. Delivery was 7 days. Based on my buddy's experience with the PR3s on his 1250 Bandit, I expect to get about 16,000 Km out of these compared to 12K from the several sets of PR2s that I have gone through. Must be the smoother roads in the USA, I can never seem to match the mileage the US riders are claiming.......

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I replaced the rear tire at 17,000 kms, that was only because I was heading south two up for 4,000 kms. I probable could of went another 2-3000kms more, but only around town. I like the tires I'm not to sure about how the tire wears.

Bike
'02 ST1300
I am on my 2nd set of PR3's (so far about 3-4k miles on them) but I got a slow puncture in my rear tire and when I took it round to my friend to repair, he was very concerned on the wear pattern, baslic loads of cupping and loads of fethering.... (I will see if I can get pictures)... but had noticed this on my previous set but thought it was normal for the tires, remember the roads here are very twisty...
My friend (who fits tires for a leaving) rekons the tire is not fit for the bike and says I should go for BT-23GT (there is nothing in it for him to tell me this so he is not trying to get money out of me) and he has PR3's on his blackbird and agrees with me that they are really good tires.

Has another else seen or heard of this on the PR3's

Top Bottom