Michelin PR3's (Pilot Road 3)

Bike
BMW 2019 R1250 RT
STOC #
Michelin PR3's a 120/70/18 front & 170/60/17 rear on a ST1100.

I just installed a set of PR3's (purchased from two brothers - thanks guy's for fast delivery) on my 96 ST 1100. No issues with mounting or fitment, will have to watch placing on side stand when loaded, no problem getting bike up on center stand not loaded.

Initial ride was short, tires felt good no vibration (ran up to 100+), no noise (no ear plugs), no head shake at all even on deceleration and cornering felt neutral.

Air pressure 42 psi front & rear.

My bike has 132 K+ miles so I've tried lots on tar combinations, will report back as miles accumulate.

Van

Bike
2005 ST1300A
I have 700 miles on my PR3's and am VERY happy with them on the wet or the dry. I took off a good set of Metzelers and wanted fresh tires for my upcoming trips. The dealer only had these PR3's and I was leaving in 2 days so I said I'll give em a try. I'm NOT a big time aggressive rider and have a hard time telling a big difference in any of the tires I've tried over the last 47 years. I will say these are quiet and the great deal of siping on the tire does build my confidence a bit in the rain. Safe riding to all.
Van

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Another thumbs up vote for the PR3's- I can't comment on longevity as I haven't had them that long, but the bike rides and handles great! They are VERY confidence inspiring.

Bike
'14 Spyder RTS
I've got about 2500 miles on a set of PR3's and love'em. Replaced a set of Metz. Seem to stick to the road like glue. I feel more confident in the twisty's.

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
Just an update. On Saturday's day ride (yesterday), I have officially traveled 12,157 miles on my current set of Michelin PR3s. I ride one-up 99% of the time. But this mileages includes two extended trips this summer -- Colorado and California. The guys I ride with like to find non-straight roads. We spend a lots of miles carving through curves. In fact, on my last set of PR3s, the side tread hit the wear bars before the center. Cool.

This rear tire is not yet to the wear bars, so I have a few more miles to go before mounting a new set. This is my third set of PR3s. I've never had a reason to be dis-satisfied with them. It's the monsoon season in the Desert Southwest now, so this area has almost daily afternoon rain showers. Even with these tires in their almost worn out state, they still grip very well in the rain.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
Re: Michelin PR3's (Pilot Road 3) 170/60 vs 180/55

I'm just getting ready to order a new PR3 rear tire after 14,000 kms (8700 miles).

Is anyone else using the 180/55 on the back?
I ride two up most of the time and was wondering what the advantages are vs the stock size.

I have a PR3 on the rear and a PR2 on the front. Both have about 14,000 kms (8,700 miles)
on them and the front tire is still looking good. The rear tire is fine in the center, but the left
side of the tire is down past the wear indicators
while the right side seems fine. I do have a
little cupping on the rear. I have been running it at 40psi. I guess the next one I will run at 42.

It seems strange to me that the left side of the tire is so worn compared to the right though.
It's not like I do track days with the bike. Most of my riding is on side roads vs the freeway.
I guess I corner more aggressively to the left than the right. Interesting that the left peg is
the only one I have ever touched to the pavement in a corner (and it only happened once --
without my wife on the back).

Last edited:

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
I'm on my third set of PR3s. Great tire. Always solid and stable in the curves. Wet handling was likewise stable, albeit at a slightly slower pace. My last set was 12,500 miles to the wear bars. That's a personal best for the kind of riding I do. The best part is that I hit the wear bars on the side, too.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
8,000 miles plus now and still look pretty good. Wear bars not even close. I know what my next set of tires will be :) I absolutely love the PR3's.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just a quick note of what I think of the PR3s . . . my new FJR came with BATTLAX BT023 tires. They have ZERO miles on them (as does the FJR) and were replaced with a set of PR3s this week - a tire I'm extremely confident on.

Hopefully I'll get to check out my new ride in October.

Shuey

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Just put my first set of PR3s on. I'll be the final authority on what a grandmother-style rider does on tires like these.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Front 120/70 ZR18
Rear 170/60 ZR17

Murph's is a little cheaper.
Currently $303

Last edited:
Bike
2016 VFR1200X
I did a tire replacement today, so I also did a Ride-On test on the old tire... check it out:

[video=youtube;Ba2YBYkk8j0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba2YBYkk8j0[/video]

My motorcycle tire was in desperate need of being changed. So I decided to do a little experiment with the Ride-On motorcycle compound that I have in my tires.

I started with a cold, fully inflated Michelin PR3 tire. Ran over the nails as shown in the video. Then I rode the bike at a slow speed for approximately 3 to 5 minutes. After returning from the short ride, I inflated the tire back to 40 psi (I lost about 5 - 7 psi) and then rode the bike for a further 5 minutes.

After my second ride, the tire was warmed up a little and no more leaks were apparent from the nail holes.

I also included a short video clip of the nails after the tire went over the nails. The Ride-On compound can be seen on the nails.

My opinion is that the Ride-On tire compound works well, but it would work best if the tire is warmed up a little before running over a nail. So for normal day-to-day riding, as soon as the bike has traveled a few miles and warmed up, the Ride-On would do its job as advertised.

I am buying more Ride-On for my new tire.

After removing this tire, there is no residue on the rim/wheel. All the Ride-On compound is on the main tread part of the tire just as advertised as well. Great product, works as advertised. I fully endorse the product.

Top Bottom