Mirror and Fairing Wind Deflector Set Install and Comments

I had the following accessories installed on my bike and wanted to post pics and offer my comments/observations:
Fairing Deflector Set P/N: 08P73-MCS-100A
Mirror Deflector Set P/N: 08P72-MCS-100A
(As posted on the honda web site)

I really like the look of these complete mirror and fairing wind deflectors. I can't imagine the bike would look sharp by just having the one set without the other.

Before wind deflectors:
I put 950 km on my bike before having these accessories installed at the same time as the dealer performed the 1,000 km warranty service.
- During those 950 km I primarily rode at night when it was quite cold outside and found my hands would get chilly and the wind was not kept off my shins as much as I would have liked (5 Deg C / 41 Deg F).
- I did ride on a couple of warm afternoons and found that any warm air from the fairing hit my upper shins. I wouldn't say I have had any noticeable hot air that caused any type of discomfort.

After wind deflectors:
- I now have now put only 200 km on the bike since having these deflectors installed and find they really add to the look of the ST.
- I find the wind is largely kept away from my hands with the mirror deflector set, which I would say is an asset in our climate north of the 49th. The upper part of the mirror deflector set that is attached along each side of the console seems to keep a little wind off my shoulders also.
- The fairing wind delflectors seem to move any warm air from the fairing down towards my feet and ankles (To my brothers chagrin, I don't ride with boots merely 3-hole docs that hardly offer any ankle protection from wind or heaven help me potential road rash...which is likely the only reason I have noticed any warm air at all at my ankles.

General notes regarding these accessories:
- Wind deflector parts are installed with double sided adhesive tape just like the tank pad and tank side pads.
- Self drilling screws are provided to secure the deflector pieces to the bike at a few locations.
- Longer pins to secure the fairing side covers (the ones for oil fill etc.) are provided to replace the standard pins.
- Longer clips to secure the upper pieces of the mirror deflector to each side of the console are provided, however, these pieces didn't work for me...they were quite sloppy and loose fitting and so the dealer installed Ducati pins that are rubber exterior with metal threaded inside that squeeze the rubber outward for a press fit as the screw is turned in. I am glad the dealer put these in and even had black screws to match the console black colour.
- Part of the fairing wind deflectors are embossed to fit the knee pad set (I don't think I would want this set since I am concerned it would interfere with my legs since I'm 6'1" and can't imagine that I would want my knees and shins resting on these pads).
- I would suggest that I could have installed these parts myself, but consider myself the kind of person that puts extra effort into quality finishing (i.e. my own time is worth $0.00 US or Canadian if it is time I put into my own project).

Hopefully the attached pics give a good view of what your bike might look like with these accessories.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'03 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks...

for the pictures and comments. I have thought about these but have not seen them on one yet. I am seriously considering these now. How much were you charged for the install?

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Great pictures - I think I'll get mine down out of the attic. I got them early on but decided the heat was not that bad, but my riding pants (Motoport Kevlar mesh) have a tendancy to rub against the fairing and mar it up - but it looks like the extenders cover right where they are getting rubbed against

Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
Nice job summerizing the two kits. I too found that they added wind protection and deflection where needed.
I only ask one thing of you, consider 7 or 9 eyelet boots at minimum. You will find over time putting them on is like putting on a seat belt, you would not start the car without them.
My two cents.
Joe
:biker:

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
joeca43 said:
I only ask one thing of you, consider 7 or 9 eyelet boots at minimum.
Please explain. I have both fairing sets but was never completely happy with the fit - especially where fairing deflector 'inserts' are near your knees. Suggestions?

OP
OP
Asphalt
Please explain. I have both fairing sets but was never completely happy with the fit - especially where fairing deflector 'inserts' are near your knees. Suggestions?
I find the fit is not perfect in 2 areas:
1) Around the fairing deflector pieces near your knees, as you mentioned. It's not bad but not perfect. The fit is shown well in the side view pic in the above post.
2) Underside of the mirror deflector set that wraps around and under the mirror does not but flush up agains the fairing. There is a small 1/8" or so gap.

Good review.
i live in south florida and the head make it very unconfortable.
from your experience would you say the faring wind deflector really remove the heat from your legs?
I thonk riding in Ontario it is a plus, but here is a pain... Even wearing proper pants and shoes.
thank you for your return
Hugo

Top Bottom