Armor D3O and SAS-TEC Armor

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
[video=youtube;vqDe0C4OKbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDe0C4OKbM[/video]

This more focused on Rev-it gear but a nice explanation of the different types of armor available from basic to advanced.

[video=youtube;hkQPuEj9kNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hkQPuEj9kNk[/video]

Good information, Mellow. Thanx for posting it.

I've always thought the basic "CE Approved" stuff that comes in most of the gear was pretty marginal: Too small, not tough enough, questionable at low or high temps. The pads used by Aerostich, while not CE approved (explanation of this is posted in the Aero catalogs), is large (so you have a better chance of landing on it), thick (to provide more energy absorbing), and high-tech material. The info given by RevZilla for the Rev'It gear is helpful if you want the best protection. Rev'It ain't cheap and the upgraded armor ups the ante even more, but the stuff is darn good. Unfortunately, they don't make their mesh jackets in large enough sizes for me so I'm using an Olympia instead - with "CE Approved" armor. Oh well.

pete

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I see the D3O stuff is sold separately. I was looking at adding it to my olympia gear.

I personally believe that while those that do have get-offs will slide some, the initial impact and following impacts is just as important if not more. If it was a racetrack, you'd slide a long way but most of the places we ride you aren't going to slide far after the initial impact before hitting something else.

Every accident is a unique one with so many variables and even if two folks crash w/same bike w/same gear at the same speed in the same place, they'll probably have different injuries even w/same gear.

The body armor stuff you put on then put on your jacket w/no armor is pretty cool but seems like a hassle. The nice part of that is you can ride with just the armor on if it's a hot day, might look strange.. lots of options out there.

Top Bottom