Replacement H4 Headlight Bulb Sources?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So on my '05 I have been running H4s almost since new. In the past I bought H4s at WallyWorld, then I started buying them at Cycle Gear. Usually running at about $40 for a pair at Cycle Gear. The ones I bought at WallyWorld were usually around $6 or $7, but they were standard, whereas the Cycle Gear are the Bright White.

Recently I was thinking of replacing the '04s with H4s, so stopped by my local CycleGear and their selection of Headlights were the $40 apiece type! No thanks.

Today coming in, I noticed my "Left" headlight out, so I went to the Cycle Gear in Kerny Mesa, which is one of the larger stores of theirs I've seen. I was able to find a couple of H4 (Blue) at $20 apiece, but I doubt if I'll be going back to them for any more headlight bulbs! :(

So I was wondering where most are buying their replacement bulbs?

Byron

STOC #
My last replacements were bought at Kragen, now O'Reilly Auto. I picked up a set of Sylvania Xtravision 60/55w H4's. The Silverstar's I had before didn't seem to last as long and cost more. The Xtravision are ~3200K where the Silverstar's were ~4000K. They're still running strong. Silverstar Ultra's are used and liked by many at ~4100K but it was more than I wanted to spend on bulbs and easier to find.

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Almost any autoparts store has replacement auto (H-4) bulbs. I have gotten H-4, H-7, and the jellybean size dash indicator bulbs at O'riellys, turn signal bulbs as well.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I got my Hella H4 with 100w high for around $7 each online somewhere. Look around...there really isn't any reason to spend over $10 each. I started out using Osrams at around $20 each but gave up after the 4th left bulb went out. The bulbs aren't the problem...I just don't see the point in spending $60 a year in left headlight bulbs. Now I'm using the Hellas.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Generic 9003s here.

Whatever you do avoid the ones with blue tint.
Less light, less quality of light.
Same for HIDs.
The exception is LEDs where the bluish tint will still be lower quality light, but more lumens.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I've had good success with the previously mentioned Sylvania XtraVisions. Easy to find most anywhere, so if you're on a trip...

At my local Canadian Tire store, the blue tinted bulbs are locked up and need customer service person to open up, whereas the clear ones are out in the open. I wonder why that is...

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Check out Rally Lights! I've used them for years. Good prices, a wide selection, and quick to ship.

I won't buy Sylvania bulbs of any type (except German Osram) because, from my experience, they have a very short life.

I'm running the Hella 55/100 Watt lamps ($10.99*) in my 1100 now, nice improvement over STock, especially with the high beams on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks guys! You've given me some good options!

I was able to replace the left one last night. I was beginning to think I should have waited for the weekend when I dropped the old bulb down into the lower fairing. I had to fish it out and that was lots of fun! But I got it changed out and I'll change out the right (I like having "matching" headlights) on Saturday.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
How do you get that price? I see $10.99 for the 55/100W.
OOPS! My bad! Didn't "click through" to the cart, just saw the price on the 1st page. You are correct, they currently are $10.99 ea. (I'll edit my original post).

I've been running this set for a couple years. I don't recall the exact price I paid, but it was very reasonable compared to what the car parts places want for even the cheapest ones.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm sticking with HIDs, the not-so-brite-white, forget the exact temp... Pretty happy withthe last set tho I blew a bulb during the current ride. Since I'm on the road, I just picked up the cheapest H4 at Wally World as a replacement,,, left side bulb of course, per normal.

What the..?? Tabs

Went to my local Canadian Tire and picked up a pair after reading your comments. But the bottom 2 tabs have a different angle! And I find out so do all the other H4s. Is there a simple solution I'm missing? Like - fold the tabs back?! New to the ST so I'm still learning.

I've had good success with the previously mentioned Sylvania XtraVisions. Easy to find most anywhere, so if you're on a trip...

At my local Canadian Tire store, the blue tinted bulbs are locked up and need customer service person to open up, whereas the clear ones are out in the open. I wonder why that is...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: What the..?? Tabs

Went to my local Canadian Tire and picked up a pair after reading your comments. But the bottom 2 tabs have a different angle! And I find out so do all the other H4s. Is there a simple solution I'm missing? Like - fold the tabs back?! New to the ST so I'm still learning.
Yes just carefully bend the lower two tabs straight back. Look at this thread for pics:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?114333-Pic-comparison-of-OEM-amp-aftermarket-H4-9003-bulbs-and-altering-latter-to-fit-ST1300&highlight=

Bike
1994 ST1100
I cannot complain about Sylvania (Osram) Sylverstar 65/55w. Had same pair since last August commuting daily, until last night when I installed HID. They were $50 for pair in autozone and advanced Autoparts.

Mark

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I had just checked my valve clearances (all in spec @ 57,000) and since I have my fairings off I thought I would change my headlight bulbs (never been replaced). I put a sylvania (German) 55/60w in the left side and started bike to check for oil leaks. (no oil leaks) I noticed a huge difference in temp from right side (stock bulb) and left side with the 9003/H4, the left side was getting hot while right side stayed cool to touch. I also noticed comparing filaments that the stock Phillips 45/45 had a thicker element than the Sylvania. I am going to stick with stock bulbs, I had a stock spare and just ordered a set from partszilla at $45 for the pair.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had just checked my valve clearances (all in spec @ 57,000) and since I have my fairings off I thought I would change my headlight bulbs (never been replaced). I put a sylvania (German) 55/60w in the left side and started bike to check for oil leaks. (no oil leaks) I noticed a huge difference in temp from right side (stock bulb) and left side with the 9003/H4, the left side was getting hot while right side stayed cool to touch. I also noticed comparing filaments that the stock Phillips 45/45 had a thicker element than the Sylvania. I am going to stick with stock bulbs, I had a stock spare and just ordered a set from partszilla at $45 for the pair.
I recently put a set of the LED headlights in my 2010. They have been great so far. And using them when lane splitting with the modulator gets me seen by 75% of the BDCs out there! :D

LED Headlights

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
gets me seen by 75% of the BDCs out there!
It only takes one. Apologies! Somebody was going to say it and I wanted to join the club! :rofl1:

If you get a chance could you post a video of your LED headlights using the modulator? Short of wig-wags that must be a pretty impressive sight!

Last edited:
Top Bottom