Replacement H4 Headlight Bulb Sources?

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
When I need fast and cheaper I grab a couple of "jobber" H4's from Advance auto. I think the last couple I got cost me about 5 bucks for the pair. While I was there I grabbed a jobber pack of 7443 bulbs, about 10 bucks for a 10 pack. I will be upgrading to the Hella high wattage bulbs soon. I'll order them online, because I can get them cheaper than from Advance using my commercial account.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just ran across a 60W/55W H4 halogen I got from the local Honda dealer- p/n 34901-MC7-601AH for about $7 a couple of years ago. Online it runs about $6. Shipping will probably hurt a little.

I snipped the two lower tabs off easily with some diagonal cutters (wire cutters) but have a question. What do you do with the two little tabs 6 o'clock that stick up? Do they just get folded flat from whence they came?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Before I put in the Evitec Led's I ran Hella 80/100 bulbs H4 bulbs. Literally turned night into day!! Pity the oncoming cage that didn't dim their lights:D

They used to come with a multi year warranty but after I had to change the left one out a few times, they quit doing that at my source store.

Rod

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you ever tried an H4 100/80w for increased brightness?
I tried them years ago in my Guzzi. Did not "turn the night into day" for me, but that's only my opinion. First, it was one lamp, second, the alternator was tired and I don't know what the output voltage was, and third, my eyes are not the best. As a comparison, my wife can read street signs farther away than I can (yes, my vision is corrected to 20/20) and sees better at night). Remember - this is my opinion, not a scientific experiment.

For me, the color is as important as the 'quantity' (i.e. watt draw by the lamp or lumen output, assuming more watts means more lumens) - and this might be the way my eyes react to light. Other's have said here (maybe Spiderman?) that our eyes are more sensitive to blue light than yellows (warmer colors). Regardless, I prefer my G6 Led Lamps in my ST over the halogens in our cars.

Something else to consider is why go with a high wattage halogen when a lower high lumen output LED uses less power? The color shift to blue is a bonus (though I personally do not like the higher color temp colors e.g. 6000 deg K and above). Too much of a good thing here is NOT divine.

Top Bottom