Metzler Interact Z6, Harmonic Vibration with New Tyres

Bike
ST1300
Hi All,

I see there has been a lot of posts and discussions on Metzeler tyres fitted to ST's though I have seen nothing that relates to my problem hence the new thread.

I have an ST1300 and had Metzeler fitted last week, Z6 on the front and Z8 on the rear. Along with the tyres, I now have a harmonic vibration coming through the bike, mostly between 80-90 kmh (50 - 60 mph in imperial terms). Also being an Aussie, Tyres come with a 'y' rather that an 'i' just to confuse the issue.

Another ST rider here in Aus has the same issue with tyres fitted a few days before me (Z8s) and his description fits pretty well. He describes it as a vibration like you get when you ride over a cattle grid. comes in for 2 seconds, then fades away for 2 seconds and then comes back. For that reason I see it as a harmonic problem rather than balance.

The guy who fitted them here says I should run them for 1000km (600mile) to give them a chance to settle down. Sounds like a strange situation but stranger things have occurred. The other guy I mentioned had the rear tyre rotated on the rim about 180 degrees and after about 400 km (240 mile) he says it is settling down a bit.

I am curious to know if there have been any experiences of this on your side of the globe.

Having always ridden on the standard Bridgestones, on both ST1100 and ST1300, I find that the bike feels so much better on the road and really has a feeling of confidence and is sure footed on corners with the Metzelers compared to what I have been used to with the Bridgestones. All I need to do is get rid of this annoying vibration.

Cheers
Dennis

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have run the Z6 on the front of my ST with no problems other then premature wear. My friend Larry has the Z8's on his VFR and he stated that he had picked up a vibrationi on our last trip after about 2000 miles. Maybe it is the Z8,s causing this vibration.

Bike
09ST1300
Hi Dennis,

I'm also in Australia, but the problem seems to be world wide. I had a Z8 fitted to the rear 1 week ago and I immediately had the harmonic vibration in the bike. I rode it 1000 km during the following days and it didn't change in intensity. It drove me mad!!

I then studied the forum and the symptoms everyone talks about are identical to what I have. Today I had new BT023 tyres fitted front and rear and the ride is silky smooth. My local Metzler Dealer just dismissed me when I tried to discuss the problem. He took the bike for a test ride and said he couldn't feel any vibration. I now have to question his abilities as a mechanic if he wont think laterally when it comes to quirky problems. He has a poor opinion of forums and the contributors and wont listen to what everyone here has to say. I wont say here what he said to describe the forum and its contributors.

I have a friend with the same problem and it has bugged him since he put his first Z8 on the bike, when they were first released.

To me, the oscilating vibration is brought on by a relationship between the rear wheel spinning at between 80 and 100 kph, and the motor spinning at about 2750 to 3500 rpm. Change either of those inputs and the vibration dissappears. As soon as you come back up to 80 kph in top gear, it is back again.

So let's see if Metzler will look into the problem and come up with a solution. Someone once said - "There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see!"

Catcha,

Ross

Bike
2006 ST1300
I am so glad to see this. I thought I was being exceptionally picky about my ride. I have had the same issue and now trying to decide if I replace the tires or suffer until there is some significant wear on the tires to justify replacement.
Larry

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Great tires with great grip and confidence inspiring. I'm curious as to what you're experiencing. Sounds like slight cupping on the rear, not evenly would explain the in and out, which might be partially preventable or curable by running a higher pressure, say 44 in the rear. I've run many Z6 fronts, never an issue. It's been a while since I ran a Z6 rear, but I did have a rear that cupped early (3000 mi) and made noise on every slight curve until I wore it out. Noise got worse with age, improved if you start running higher pressure early in its life.

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
I just mounted a Z-8 on the rear and have notice the Vibration right about 50-60 mph.
I pull in my clutch lever and the Vibration went away, so what's the story !
I had a Z-6 on before the Z-8, never had a problem.
I thought balance shaft, clutch, rear drive, (just changed gear oil, with tire change), anybody figured this out yet ?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I just mounted a Z-8 on the rear and have notice the Vibration right about 50-60 mph.
I pull in my clutch lever and the Vibration went away, so what's the story !
I had a Z-6 on before the Z-8, never had a problem.
I thought balance shaft, clutch, rear drive, (just changed gear oil, with tire change), anybody figured this out yet ?
Yes, your vibration is caused from the Z8 tire you just mounted. Metzeler knows about it, but so far they are not willing to do anything about it.
I've seen (3) of these tires cause your vibration so far.
You'll have to live with it until you change it out, then you can go back to the Z6 or PR3 instead.
Wish I had a better answer for you.

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I didn't start taking my engine apart to find the problem.
I will send off a letter to Metzeler just to blow off some steam.
I bought these tires from another ST Member, he took them off after 500 miles, he said he didn't like them.
How about the front Z8 does it cause a vibration also ?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I ran Metzeler's for years on all kinds of bikes without any issues until....enter the Harley Davidson Fitments from Metzeler.
Alot of HD shops won't even carry them anymore because of so many quality control issues. IIRC Metzeler opened a factory or Plant in Brazil (tires clearly marked made in Brazil) and Alot of tires were coming apart! I've seen 8 inch pieces blow off the rear of a Roadking, and witnessed several Heritage softails with severe cracks in the sidewall and tread on newly mounted tires. I still like and trust the Made In Germany tires, but wouldn't mount a made in Brazil tire if it were free.
I think I remember seeing a letter that Metzeler printed out on one of the HD forums, explaining that they were having problems with their new factory and were working on correcting the problems.
I'd ditch the front and the rear tires if it were me.
I'd also question using a tire that has been mounted, removed, and remounted again. I would worry about sidewall damage etc. if I didn't watch the person mount my tire.
The fact this guy sold you the tires should have been a flag.
You get what you pay for.
If you like Metzelers, try the Z6's. They handle pretty well, just don't expect more than 6-7K miles out of the rear.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Outside of Metzeler 880s, a stiff high mileage cruiser tire, where this sidewall cracking problem was reported like 6 or 7 years ago and is not related to Metzeler Z6 or Z8 tires. This vibration must be something to do with the particular ST1300 as Z6s and Z8s are highly regarded on other bikes. NC700Xs come with Z8s or Bridgestone 023s and aren't invoking owner reported problems with one tire or the other, at least not yet.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If you have a Metzeler that is producing vibrations, take a look at the tread pattern. If the pattern repeat is a constant around the entire tire, that may be your problem.

A constant pitch in the pattern can excite some other component of the bike at that component's natural frequency at some particular speed. Better tire designs incorporate subtle differences in the distance from one groove to the next to avoid this problem.

In my case, the OEM Dunlop on the front of my 2005 ST1300 would make the front fender just howl at about 50mph. Changing to a different brand with a variable tread pitch eliminated the problem.

Check out your tread pitch, and if it is uniform -- always the same distance groove-to-groove -- that is your problem. Figuring out which bike component is being excited is another matter.

If both front and rear have a constant pitch, and the tread pattern contact frequency with the pavement is nearly identical, this can set up a "beat frequency" that you can hear as a slow soft-loud-soft-loud sound. I got the same phenomenon riding close to another 4-cyl motorcycle once with a very similar final drive ratio, and our exhausts set up a slow, yet audible, beat frequency.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I'm running Z6 front and Z8 rear. I haven't noticed any vibration at any speed. 41 PSI front and rear. Maybe I got a good set?

John

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I talked to a guy today that was riding a BMW K1200 and he was running the new Z8's and I asked how he liked them on his beemer.
He Hated them! Said they vibrate at speed and cup and wear funny compared to the Z6's he use to run. Said he's going back the Z6's again.

Bike
ST 1300 Honda
Hi Dennis, I have exactly the same issue as you describe here…. only done a few hundred kays so far… :(

Bought from Brisbane Motorcycle Tyres….

Cheers, Sass

Ah, I'm back looking for replacement tires but couldn't remember the good and bad. Pyropat -- I think I sold you those tires. Yes, I didn't like them for all the reasons listed in this post. I thought I was pretty up front about them and I vaguely remember you saying you were going to use them on a different bike. Needless to say, I took a bath on them cost wise and frustration wise. I won't buy Metzler again even though the Z6s were good. I'm currently running BT020 up front and BT021 in back and they are worn hence here today trying to revive my memories. But, worn as they are I have to admit I have a small vibration nothing near the Z8s. I probably going to play it safe and replace them with the exact same models if possible. I'm glad I came back to check. Shops always like to say "ah... the Z8s are upgraded Z6's" but don't get suckered, at least that has been my experience. I'm going to read a few more posts but it feels like there is a narrow range of choices for tires if you are a picky person. BTW - I tore down my drive shaft to inspect the u-joints before realizing the Z8s were the issue. I just wish the range was wider that way I can spend less and not worry about vibrations.

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
I replaced that piece of crap Z8 with a Michelin Pilot power on my ST.
What a difference, rides smooth( no vibration), grips very well, not sure on the mileage yet ,but am very happy so far.
Also not to pricey !

Top Bottom