K&N Filter

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I hear you Larry but its a personal choice just like oil. You use what you like and I will use what I like. I have cleaned and re-used my K&N 7 may bey 8 times that would be $240 worth of OEM filters I paid about $60 for my K&N and the cleaning kits are available for as little as $11.99 at Advanced auto. If you don't over oil it will last for a few cleanings.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I hear you Larry but its a personal choice just like oil. You use what you like and I will use what I like. I have cleaned and re-used my K&N 7 may bey 8 times that would be $240 worth of OEM filters I paid about $60 for my K&N and the cleaning kits are available for as little as $11.99 at Advanced auto. If you don't over oil it will last for a few cleanings.
I know why don't you use what I like, and I'll use what you like? :rofl1:
I do agree with your comments. I have used K&N filters on Harley Davidson's for years, and as long as you didn't over oil them, they worked ok, but then again, the average top end life on a HD is 40K. I have a question for you though, and I mean no disrespect at all, do you think the money your saving on filters will balance out the cost of engine work down the road? The old saying, you pay now or you pay later comes to mind.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Down the road you say I have 114000+ miles on my ST and it shows no signs of any problems. I will tell you what, I will let you know when and if there are any problems with my ST caused by a K & N. I have been using them for well over 80k miles so I really don't think I will ever see a problem due to the air filter. My bike is now 10 years old and its been paid for for 9 of those years. Its all gravy now.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know why don't you use what I like, and I'll use what you like? :rofl1:
I do agree with your comments. I have used K&N filters on Harley Davidson's for years, and as long as you didn't over oil them, they worked ok, but then again, the average top end life on a HD is 40K. I have a question for you though, and I mean no disrespect at all, do you think the money your saving on filters will balance out the cost of engine work down the road? The old saying, you pay now or you pay later comes to mind.
Answer is "YES!" If I remember, I'll check my records as to when I put my K&N in my bike (when the first air fliter replacement was needed) and I've got 167.6+K on my bike. I don't remember how often the filters are supposed to be replaced, but I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Got a great idea Larry. Once I swap engines (I plan to at 200K) you can come down and tear down the topend of the old engine and see if there has been unreasonable wear from using the K&N filter! :D

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Answer is "YES!" If I remember, I'll check my records as to when I put my K&N in my bike (when the first air fliter replacement was needed) and I've got 167.6+K on my bike. I don't remember how often the filters are supposed to be replaced, but I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Got a great idea Larry. Once I swap engines (I plan to at 200K) you can come down and tear down the topend of the old engine and see if there has been unreasonable wear from using the K&N filter! :D
You've got a deal! I'd love to tear into an engine on a stand. Sound like fun.
Truth is, all these bikes are going to out last all of us! Congrats on your mileage, sounds like you've rolled up alot of memories.
Larry

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You've got a deal! I'd love to tear into an engine on a stand. Sound like fun.
Truth is, all these bikes are going to out last all of us! Congrats on your mileage, sounds like you've rolled up alot of memories.
Larry
Kool! It's a deal then! :D

As for lots of miles and memories...There have been a number, but since most of those 167K have been commuting, not "Fun" Memories for all of them! :eek:4:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Kool! It's a deal then! :D

As for lots of miles and memories...There have been a number, but since most of those 167K have been commuting, not "Fun" Memories for all of them! :eek:4:
I hear you there....life wasted commuting to and from work!
Right now my commute is just about 100 miles a day, but when I had my Pacific Coast, I was commuting from Sacramento to San Jose Daily, and before that it was Monterey to San Francisco daily, Commuting sucks for sure.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Khris, I love that quote! If that is true, I've added years to my life for all the time commuting I've done! :rofl1:

Larry, my brother, Dave (daveh) commuted from Sacramento to Richmond for many years. He wore out three V45 Sabres doing it! He had 160 miles a day commute... And I complain about my 130 a day! ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Tom (tloftus) commutes as part of his work... he's already got 11k+ miles this year and it's mid-March.. LOL... I keep sending him my resume but no one ever calls. :rofl1:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tom (tloftus) commutes as part of his work... he's already got 11k+ miles this year and it's mid-March.. LOL... I keep sending him my resume but no one ever calls. :rofl1:
Yep, I'd trade sitting at a computer 8 hours a day for more riding, anyday! ;)

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I tried one, went back to OEM filter. Gave my K&N to some homeless guy in Ca.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That was actually me...;)

SupraSabre said:
Papa said:
SupraSabre said:
Papa said:
SupraSabre said:
Papa said:
SupraSabre said:
Papa said:
that sux. send me your addy and i will send you my used K&N. I ran it for less than 200 miles. If you want it, just pay shipping. I just couldn't wrap my head around more air with the same filtering quality, so I put the stock filter back in.
Wow.. that is super of you!

XXXXXX

Let me know how much shipping is. Do you take paypal?
I let my pal pal account slide, I'll just send an envelope with it.
Ha! It is on the way. Dropped it off this morning.

I'll probably have to go back and take a refresher course on how to fill out checks, but that will work! ;)

Shoot me your address and postage cost and I'll have it in the mail tomorrow. (checkbook is at home...;)
No rush Bob, I included a self addressed stamped envelope in the box. Hope it works well for you.

Glenn
Glenn, what a sport! Thank you!

Bob

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I have a K&N and have used it for about 18,000 miles - one cleaning. I replaced the oem filter twice before I got the K&N. I didn't want to pay $38 for another oem. Would I do it again...probably not. I get 3-4 fewer mpg which I don't like and I'm not so sure you can go 12,000 miles before cleaning or changing like with the oem.
I have a good response to that 12,000 mile interval. And photos here. I originally paid nearly the exactly the same price for my K & N as a stock one, at the time I purchased it. These photos were taken just a month ago when I saw a thread stating the K&N's didn't do a good job. My records showed the K&N hadn't been serviced for 12,000 miles. It was time for inspection. I laid out a clean shop paper towel and tapped the loose bugs and crud out. (shown here) You can also see inside the element and the dark dust areas being trapped. (just like a stock filter would) The outside is like new, with no signs of discolor. Previously a reader mentioned that the stock filter is a wee bit taller. I discovered that the day I bought mine and remedied it this way. In my photo you will notice two strips of high density foam tape on the top of the K&N filter. (center photo) The indentations in the foam strips are where the air cleaner lid contacts the filter. The extra high density foam insures the filter is pushed solid against the bottom of the stock housing. Note that the inside of my airbox is perfectly clean after removing the K&N element, Even wiping a clean cloth inside the velocity stacks produced a clean rag. I don't claim that the K&N does a better job as the stock unit, but it has saved me quite a bit of gas money over time. Care full attention to adding the proper amount of oil and sealing properly can result in fairly good service with these filters.

Attachments

Last edited:

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm ready to install a K&N in my 06 ST1300. I'm getting 44 MPG avg now, I'll report on any changes and how the bike performs.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The K&N filter I just installed in my 07 ST1300 came pre-oiled and ready to install, if someone adds more oil to it before install that would cause problems and make it run rich. These filters were designed for "light" oiling, if your filter is dripping then it is too much. For those who don't know how to maintain a K&N I suggest sticking with OEM. My fuel mileage increased a few miles. The K&N filter is a wonderful filter if serviced correctly and will protect your engine as well as stock. If not serviced correctly it won't perform correctly, if it is damaged it won't protect or work correctly, if installed improperly---I could go on but whatever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.
I have a bit of a problem with this. I installed K & N's on my Guzzi several years ago. I wash and oil them per instructions every year. To date I have had no problems with the K&N's. BUT. Everything I read about them, and common sense says they cannot possibly flow more air than paper filters and filter the air as well as or better than the paper filters. In fact, enough other guys have tested and said that oiled fabric filters do a worse job at removing dust from the air that I accept their research.

My Guzzi had a lot of work done to it to boost power, which is why I put them on the bike. I understood and accepted the tradeoff - increased power for increased wear. However, Guzzi's and ST's are 200,000 mile machines. If we put a filter on the bike that pulls less junk out of the air it breathes, it probably will not go as far as a bike with the OEM filters. Is the wear likely to be significant? In the long run, I would guess so. In my lifetime, based on annual mileage, I doubt it. I think my ST is powerful enough for me, and I like it well enough to keep it stock.

There are a lot of very very good threads on K & N's on this and other websites. I suggest you read around and come to your own conclusions. For my money, I cannot believe that K& N's will protect an engine as well as paper filters. Since I have not done the research myself this is my opinion only - ymmv.

Frank.Jester

Hooch
Bike
2003 ST1300
I just recently installed a K&N on my '03 with no loss of mileage. I also have one on my Toyota Highlander and firmly believe it helped my car's performance and fuel economy.

Top Bottom