Failing Scala rider G4

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Latest on our G4's. Having sent them back for the second time for same problem, bike to bike stops after not talking for awhile, they sent us a reconditioned set and these had the boom mikes attached but also included the wired mics. I took the boom mikes off and put the wired ones in. Seemed to work for awhile but still have the problem that if you don't talk in a 5 minutes period, they shut off and have to press the button again to resume communications. I am going to call them soon to see just what the problem is. We are getting ready for our Edelweiss Best of Europe tour and really want to be able to communicate bike to bike with the wife and I. I'll see what they have to say???

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Gary, what you describe with your G4's is common with mine and my wife's G4's since day 1. Also, one or the other of ours will resort to transmitting static only a time or two on each ride. Sometimes they'll stay connected for hours without issue, other times only minutes. Invariably one or the other of us has to powerdown and restart our G4 to regain a good helmet-to-helmet connection.

Would I buy the G4's again? Yes, as I ride 99% of the time by myself without the helmet-to-helmet issue, I really benefit from the ability to answer the phone...even if to say "I'll call you back" or "please wait while I pull over".

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Almost 2 years later and I thought I'd do a little follow up on the Scala Q2 units that I ranted about before. First of all, Crow doesn't taste so bad if you boil it long enough. The units still work as designed. I was using a MP3 through a Boosteroo and had plenty of volume. Since then, I got a smart phone and use Pandora with no problem hearing jams. Also have, I heart radio for local coverage. With the smart phone, calls are made through Siri instead of the Q2 unit. I can honestly say that currently I have no problems with my units. I might even get a G4 or G9 single for solo rides, because they will pair up with the Q2. Let me just say that I haven't used any other com system, only Scala. That being said...I am very well pleased with Scala rider products and their service.

Bike
2005 ST13
I have used a G4 powerset for 5 years now, and no problems. The Li-Ion battery is due for replacement, but I'll likely do it myself.

SCALA G4 BATTERY
LIP 451949-2HDJ
800 mAh

Bike
ST1300A
We got a Teamset as soon as they came out. I couldn't have been happier. It paired to my Zumo automatically, the intercom was easy and we would often be talking to each other while I was pumping gas and she was inside getting us cold drinks and something to snack on. She occasionally had trouble getting the VOX to work but sometimes I just figured it was a blessing.

Then the Zumo's touchscreen quit and I upgraded to a new 650 and kept the Teamset for a while with that GPS. Eventually the new Zumo's stereo music was my excuse to upgrade to the (then newest) G4's. The first thing we noticed was the audio was significantly quieter, same helmets, same Zumo, half the volume. Then headsets started failing. And it was always the helmet/speaker side of the unit that went bad. My unit on her helmet worked fine but was dead on my helmet or, most frequently, the right speaker was dead and the left one half-dead, with a lot of static on it's way out.

I just completed a Four-Corners X-Pattern tour (SC-MA.org) and needed phone access to make the trip. Hoping my luck had changed I ordered a brand new helmet kit ($60!!). Three days out my headsets got static-y and cut out completely. THREE DAYS!

I USED to be a Scala fan but after spending literally hundreds of dollars replacing helmet kits I'm about over it. I value reliability more than anything, I ride a Honda for crimeny-sakes, and the Scala products aren't there anymore.

Top Bottom