A non Ride report DR650

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Was going to take the DR out today as I got the rear tire fixed with a new heavy duty tube. However best laid plans can and often do go awry. Weather turned a bit COLD today. Sooooo It was DR650 Wrenching time today. Need to do a 4000 mile service as I bought the bike with 4280 miles on it. Not being sure if the previous owner/dealer did the 4k service. Did not look like it based on the Motor Oil and Brake Fluid. All went according to the book with no issues. Found the plugs were two different brands. Strange. Also removed the upper chain roller on the advice of the DRRiders Forum. Should I remove the lower one also? What is there purpose other then to give grief when they break off? Here are some pictures of todays fun.

Last edited:
It is a good idea to remove the upper roller because when it snaps off it will take some of the frame with it. I removed my upper roller and replaced the bottom roller with an aftermarket one. The purpose of the rollers is to keep the chain aligned with the sprockets and deal with any chain slapping that might occur.
Many mods that make the DR a better performer if you are so inclined. I love my 06 and it will be the last bike that I would sell in my fleet.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I'm thinking about a DR in addition to my ST. What's your evaluation of the bike so far?
I love it. Does exactly what I want so far. My KLR was getting a bit heavy. Here take a look at this right up I did a few weeks back. And yes I am on the DRriders Forum. Great info.

Recon Dual Sport ride for Ruedi Res. Get togeather

So, Monday the weather was picture perfect, near 80 degrees and todayit is snowing.

I decided to take the DR650 out and do a scouting ride of the route that I plan on taking to the Ruedi Reservoir NT700 get together. I knew that I was only going to get a portion of the route scouted, as I estimate it will take two days to get from my house on the east side of Denver Metro Area to the Reservoir. One does not want to cross the 4x4 passes at nearly 14000 ft. any time after three PM. in the afternoon. I have three major Dirt Passes planned. And one paved pass.The first being a relative nontechnical pass, Boreas Pass. @ 11,481 ft. Timing wise we should reach this about mid-morning. The second pass is Mosquito Pass @ 13,986 ft. east of Leadville. This Pass would be done in early afternoon. With the night spent in Leadville, in a motel or camping at Turquoise Lake. Then the next morning ascend Hagerman Pass @ 11,925 ft. The paved pass is Hoosier pass @11539 ft) Not a big deal. There are also some alternate routes around the passes in case of snow pack or inability to get over them, or just running out of time. Of course I have not scouted those alternate routes yet. Any way I was stopped by the snow line at about 10,500 ft on the approach to Boreas Pass, Just past Como, CO.
The route that I rode took me from Sedalia over Rampart Range down to the South Plate rive and then on to the Deckers Store. (HI way 67) This is one of my favorites rides as there are plenty of paved twisty going over Rampart and down to Sprucewood. From there the road turns to a graded gravel/dirt road of three miles to the down to the river. (County Rd 40) There is a mile of 15% grade which for fist timers, is quite interesting to see their face expression. “You want me to do What?”Once at the river it is ten more miles to the Deckers Store, beautiful early morning ride. Stopping at the store for a cup of coffee and then continuing on the pavement for a couple of mile to the turn off to Goose Creek Rd. (Forrest Service road 211)20 miles of dirt across the Hyman Fire burn area of 2003. Still beautiful in its own right but a real shame. This road twists and turns, ups and downs, over to Terryall Reservation Road. Then we hit pavement which need serious work. (County Rd 77) Well CDOT is rebuilding this road so I had 9 miles of pilot car following. Good thing I was on a DS bike as the road was all ripped up until the new pavement at Terryall Reservoir. A few minutes fooling around the Reservoir and then blasting north on beautiful new pavement for a few more miles until I came to Packer Rd. (County Rd 34) 6 more miles of dirt, smooth and fast , to intersect with Highway 285. We are now in what is called South Park. A high Plateau that crosses over to the Pike-San Isabel Nat. Forrest and the Mosquito mountain Range. Turning left on 285 I head a a few mils to the turn off to Como. And start looking for Forrest Service Road 33 which takes me over Boreas Pass into Breckenridge. Well here at the 10,500ft. mark, I had to turn around as the road got too muddy and snowy for my liking. I knew that I was not going to get over this pass today. Not to mention the others. Much too early in the year. And with the snow that the High Country has been getting this spring, the end of June might also be a challenge.

http://goo.gl/maps/LbgcC
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I'm looking into a second hand DR650 as well. Depending on how much I like it, I might sell the ST. The ST is more bike than I use. I'm not riding long distances very much. I just don't have the time. It's heavy. I'm not riding much to work anymore. Poor places to park.
CO sure looks like fun. It's interesting you have to pay attention to elevation. We have that in the East, a little, but not as pronounced. Years ago I was in Montana, July 4TH at elevation, it was snowing like a bugger. Like 8 inches on the road in a very short time. Wasn't riding and was glad I wasn't!

Top Bottom