Look what followed me home 2013 BMW K1600GT

STOC #
Well, after four boxers and a V-4 (ST1300), it was time to try something else. Well, what a change... picked it up today and rode the 12 or so miles home tonight. Big change from the RT and GS that went away today. Gonna take some getting used to (weight, throttle pickup, wheelbase difference and a few other things). But, boy, is it ever smooth! Went a bit crazy on the accessories, but managed to hold of on a few things that will be added down the road soon. Will be interesting to see how it handles like my most recent trip this past weekend to Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, NC. RT was glued to tarmac on US 129/19 going north into Blairsville Ga. Will see how 120 plus extra pounds of metal and plastic do on those same roads. Well, to quote a famous Starship captain... "Let's see what she's got."

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
That is one sharp looking machine!!! I like the color. That frontal shot in the crate makes it look like some sort of insect. Ant? Hornet? Grasshopper? Preying Mantis? Ha, you have a nickname now! Let us know what you think after you run it through its paces. I'm jealous.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Did you happen to grab the piece of the shipping box that lists your bike's serial number and the contents? Sounds dumb now, but I have the end piece from the original wood crate my father's 1975 Triumph T160 Trident came shipped in from England. It lists the s/n, the color, type of tires, and a few other pieces of data all painted on with a stencil. What's especially fun is when someone new comes into my garage and asks about the piece of old plywood on the wall, I point to the motorcycle next to it and offer them to check and compare the serial number on the bike against the serial number on the plywood. They're always astonished that not only am I the son of the original owner, but that I have the exact, matching, original shipping container end piece for my bike. Kinda geeky, kinda neat. 35 years + later I'm glad someone thought ahead back in 1975.

Congratulation on the new toy.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ha..very nice Chris! I'm sure you'll love it.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just curious. Would everyone have been as congratulatory if it had been a new FJR? Beautiful bike. Enjoy!
Why not? Let's congratulate any of our brethren on their choice of a new toy, something that moved them enough to part with an old bike and a pile of coin. FWIW, I like the changes that Yamaha made to the new FJR. Not sure I'd have picked that color for it...

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
On a recent trip in Spain, one of the group was on a 1600GT. He raved about it. Comfort, handling, POWER. Even on the very narrow, twisty stuff, he had no issues.
We had a few hour slog on the toll road Interstate on the last day. He was laughing about how he just set the cruise at 120mph and sat back, turned up the radio, and enjoyed the scenery.
Very nice bike from what I could tell.
Congrats!
Rod

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Very nice, but it looks too pretty to be riding... maybe park it in the living room for a conversation piece?

Bike
2008 ST1300
Absolutely Awesome! Congratulations to you Chris.

Don't forget to write back in a month or so to give us a full review of how you like it.

Top Bottom