How do you change brake fluid in an ST1100?

Bike
93 ST1100
Hello everyone. I'd like to change the brake fluid in my 93 ST1100. BUT, I'm pretty non-mechanical and really don't have any idea where to even start. Is it possible for a guy like me to do this on my own? If so, could anyone provide step by step instructions on how to do it? Pictures would be great, but I understand that's a lot to ask. Any help would be appreciated!

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Muttly if I were you, I would maybe try get someone who knows what there doing to stand at your side for guidance.
It's the brakes your working on and they need to be done right.
Is there anyone close who could volunteer an hour of their time to help out?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Interesting, Carl, never seen it done that way before.

The following is "generic" for about any simple hydraulic brake system. ABS requires more finesse to not introduce air.

Muttly, I've frequently used the ol' fashion "depress-open-close-pump" method. The non-ABS 11s have three brake fluid circuits and four bleed valves:
Clutch (and clutch lever master cylinder.) Under the lower cowl, front, is the bleed for the clutch:
Remove the cap from MC reservoir, suck out all the dirty fluid and clean out the crud (old turkey baster works well.)
Pour in DOT 4 (or Dot 5.3) brake fluid. I prefer Castrol synthetic. (While proceeding, keep check the reservoir never gets empty.)
Pull the lever and hold;
Open the bleed valve (small hose over the end into an emtpy container);
Close the bleed valve;
Pump up the clutch 'til firm and hold;
Repeat 'til clean fluid comes out the slave/bleed valve.

Done.

On the brakes, repeat the procedure for each master cylinder and each brake caliper (only one bleed valve per caliper.

I prefer to start with the rear brake (simplest). That lets you get a "feel" for the process. If ya have a firm pedal when done, good. If ya don't, it's easier to bleed the back brake as it's a direct master cylinder to slave cylinder system, no complications.

For the front, as in auto practice, start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder (in our case the left front.)

When you have clean fluid coming out the bleed valve(s), yur done. Check to see you have good pressure. You will have unless you allowed air into the system from top or bottom.

To reiterate:
Squeeze
Open
Close
Pump and hold
Repeat

Don't let the master reservoir get empty.

A shop manual for your bike is a good idea.
Don't try this on an ABS it's needs much more care to get it DONE correctly.

Hope this helps.

[video=youtube;SKm5xQyD2vE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE[/video]

Bike
Vstrom 650
Hi, What are the best brake pads to fit,and how many do i need for my Abs St1100?
also how often should the fluid be changed?
I suppose wemoto or davidsilva would have what I need.
You can tell from my comment I'm a bit of a novice mechanic!! although I fitted a replacement meta 357 alarm this week myself so I was pleased with my efforts.
thanks

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Carl - One word of caution regarding that process! The brake fluid lines were all dry while using that technique (the OP for that method was cleaning out entire brake callipers/pads/etc so his brake system was dry when he used that technique)

When someone is changeing brake fluid, there's a good chance one is looking only to "bleed the fluid & replace with new fluid" and may not be drying out the system first.

The approach given by George below is what I think would work (very similar to the Service Manual approach). Hope this helps clarify the situation for someone else who might come along looking for Brake Bleeding technique for the ST1100 non-ABS! :D

(PS : to that someone -> I'll be bleeding my brakes in a week & will try to post detailed pictures, its my first time & I'd love to share what I've learnt along)

Regards,
Vishnu

hmm don't see anything in the articles section for the 11 but here's one thread
LINK

Top Bottom