Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
2009 ST 1300
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

I have a 2009 ST1300 and approaching 43k miles. I still love the bike, but decided to test ride the 2014 FJR last November. Lots to love about the Yamaha and I agree with these comments in regard to a lighter and quicker bike that was also quicker off the line. I rode the "A" model as they did not have an ES on the floor at that time. I was a bit undecided on the comfort of the bike for long rides vs. the ST but would definitely have the new FJRs on my short list if the time comes to replace the ST. Unfortunately, have not seen anything recently from Honda that falls into that "must have" category that I had when I first saw an ST.

Bike
GL1800 - Goldwing
I haven't read the thread, but I think you already have the ST replacement with the CTX1300. Looks like a good ride to me; haven't tried it. Some people think it is a cruiser crossover, but looks more sport tourish to me, with the fairing front end.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I haven't read the thread, but I think you already have the ST replacement with the CTX1300. Looks like a good ride to me; haven't tried it. Some people think it is a cruiser crossover, but looks more sport tourish to me, with the fairing front end.
Alright. I can't help it. I'll keep it brief.

NO the CTX1300 is NOT the replacement!!! OK?!
But it is a very nice ride for those who like this type of riding. It is not for those who prefer the sport part of sport touring. I agree that it is more touring than cruising. Just like the Gold Wing... only lighter and a bit more nimble. Same seating with the mid foot controls like the Wing and the best stock seat I've ever sat on.

Planning on NATSTOC next week and will see how it goes in one day. It will be the most miles in one day (660 miles) I've gone on any bike but this is the only one so far I feel I can do that with. Been just 375 miles one way/single day on the Wing. Been only 285 miles one way/single day on the ST1100 and really wanted to get off after that, even with aftermarket seat. Already been at least as many miles one way/single day as on the ST with my CTX and felt I could keep on going.

Last edited:
STOC #
FYI: I spoke to the owner's son/dealer in Little Rock recently. Rich stated the CTX1300 is the replacement for the ST1300. He said the sales numbers for an updated or even a continued ST1300 did not support continued production. This is just one dealers opinion and he has been wrong before. I tend to think he is correct. An ST is a rare sight on Arkansas highways but those roads are filled with cruisers.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

What??!! Are you crazy??

Bike
07 ST1300

WHAT CHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
So what is this? image.jpg Was in Asia, got a pick of an inline 4 1294cc on a ST forum saying a total rework of the cockpit?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Looks a bit like someone's Photoshopped a VFR.

I'd need to see it in the "flesh"...

Bike
No bike
STOC #
The CTX 1300 is no replacement for the ST! it's a giant lumbering touring bike with an awkward feel and about 3 feet between the rider and dash, but it does have a comfortable seat.... the CTX 700 is really closer to the ST because of the level of control/handling but no power.... just my opinion having just gone through researchin and testing these bikes last month....

The nice part is the used st1300 was cheaper than either new CTX and I feel I got the better bike.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Old news about CTX1300. But it really is not a "giant" nor is it "lumbering." Oh, and obviously not a replacement. It is the same curb weight as the ST but looses a bunch of that the instant the throttle is twisted. Not as fast as the ST at the top end (duh) but not intended to be. Totally different ride. Much lower CG. Easier for some to flat foot. If you want touring but not the bulk of the GL series then the CTX is it. If you want sport-touring and more speed at a bit higher rpm and very sporty ergos then the ST is the one. I've always felt "on top" of my ST1100 dash so my CTX is more relaxing for me. My former GL1500 was very similar but not as good a ride.

Last edited:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think the CTX1300 exists because Honda wanted to leverage the parts bin and fast track a variant on the cruiser theme. Too bad it did not take off because it might have helped to support more investment in the ST.

Bike
2007 ST-1300
I came close at a Honda demo when they were introducing the new Valkyrie. They had this out there as well. I really liked it ergonomically felt very nice. It did appear to have less wind protection and storage which I could live with, but less power I could not. I think it's a love hate thing? I do like the way it looks, but think I would be trading down from the ST1300.

Bike
2012 Honda ST1300
I'm still waiting for new ST1300.I bought this year 2012 ST1300 and I love this bike. I don't understand, why FJR and Concourse still made sport touring motorcycles, Honda-No. No point stop make this bike. Nothing wrong with it. I hope Honda return back best sport touring Honda bikes ever-ST models.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Why didn't they bring back the CUB or the CT110?
Scooters were the hot thing a few years back, they already have the tooling and parts since they are still made in other parts of the World, but No, Honda won't do what folks want, just what they think folks want lol.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
This goes to sales. Period. Honda will not advance the ST line any more because... there's no money in it. I used to scoff at this, believing that if there was no money in Sport Touring, there was no explanation for Yamaha and BMW and Kawasaki to continue to embrace it.

The steady growth of US motorcycle sales over the last decade has slowed and is about to plateau. Most analysts predict that the annual sales of US motorcycles on the verge of declination.

Honda is a pretty diversified company. Motorcycles are a small part of what they do now. They looked at the predicted market decline and wisely started contracting their line. The market has moved to cruisers, scooters and adventure bikes. Sport bikes and sport-touring aren't where the discretionary income lies in the US market any more. Goodbye ST, hello Africa Twin.

Your best bet is to get a service maintenance manual for that ST, or reconsider your appreciation for chrome. :D

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
They looked at the predicted market decline and wisely started contracting their line. The market has moved to cruisers, scooters and adventure bikes.
So with that contraction, what category does the NM4 fall under? Besides b-ugly!
nm4.jpg

From mothership Honda to people of planet earth:
If motorcycles are about anything, they’re about freedom and independence and individuality. You ride your own ride—so why let someone else tell you what your bike should look like?

Honda’s radical NM4 is all about standing out and riding a bike that doesn’t look like it came out of someone else’s cookie-cutter idea of what a bike should be. You can see that for yourself. But what maybe you can’t see right away is that it’s a Honda through and through.

Integrated saddlebags stow away everything you need to escape the mundane. Anti-Lock Brakes help give you added braking confidence in a cluttered urban wasteland. And the styling? It’s out of this world.

Want to turn some heads? The NM4 does more than just that. It’s easily one of the most unique motorcycles on the road. The angular fairing, the presence the front-end commands, the integrated storage. The NM4 is as futuristic as anything on two wheels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom