Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
2006 ST1300
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

I don't think there's any market for a true replacement for the ST. What I think Honda will do is make a T version of the VFR with a larger fairing, full bags, higher bars, adjustable tall windscreen, softer seat, etc., etc.

I'm not interested. Anyone else interested?
Not me. I happen to think there is a good market for a true replacement for the ST though. Currently BMW has most of that market. How many others get approached by people who think our STs are BMWs? I don't have numbers, and really don't care enough to go look for some, but if I had to guess I think BMW has half to 3/4 of the Sport Touring sales. The rest get divided up mostly between Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. The other European brands make up the fraction that is left. I feel the sales numbers exist, Honda just needs to come up with something to grab buyer's attentions. Being a follower and not a leader isn't going to cut it if they want to make money.

Are you nuts ? I loved my ST but was always trying to shift up, it really needs a 6 speed (just like all the other sport touring bikes).
THIS. I watch my MPG drop like a rock as the revs come up on the highway. No need for that on a sport TOURING bike. Adding a 6th gear would keep the good acceleration of the current 5-speed, with the economy of the 6th gear. I know higher speeds equal lower MPG anyway, but every engine has a "sweet spot" where it just loves to run at, having adequate power and good economy at the same time. Unfortunately the ST is well above the sweet spot at highway speeds. Its happiest running 45-55mph. Good for around town, not the highway.

8krpm Suprasaber ! Why ? I made a badshift once at around 6000 and I still remember the sound of the transmission when it stops to %$?&*$$...
I just switched to stock pipes and I keep hitting the rev limiter now because I simply can not hear the engine...at all...at higher speeds, and I have very good hearing. I have also found myself in 4th gear on the highway several times because I simply can't hear anything except wind noise and a tiny bit of ST whine now. I loved the sound of the Two Brothers pipes when they were on. They sounded good, but not loud, and I could hear the engine at all times. Unfortunately I want to keep peace with the neighbors very close to my shop when I'm warming my bike up late at night.

I don't need anything that would just drive the price up - just give me the essentials: larger tank, more upright seating, new styling. I'll just put off adventure bikes until the prices come down.
It seems like you are contradicting yourself. Personally I think the current style, although 10 years old, is still modern enough to keep up with the competition. I haven't seen anything offered by the competition that makes me think the style of my ST is outdated, or makes me say "wow, that is nice!". And going through engineering to change the style WILL drive the price up. In theory the newest St1300s are WAY overpriced, since the tooling & engineering should have been paid for long ago. If all Honda does is making some changes to the plastic, I'll keep my ST until it stops moving, then find a clean, low mileage 1300 to replace it with. I'm not going to spend extra money on something with some different plastic without some real changes to go with it.

If Honda wants to compete with the other brands, they need to offer what the other models do, such as cruise, power outlets, upgraded suspension, and better instrument cluster that can actually be seen in daylight. Then come up with something revolutionary the others don't have...and watch the sales numbers climb.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

So, if I try to make a synthesis of your analysis NH Diesel, and make a decision for future, I keep my ST until the GT1600 will be at a good quality price ratio... Or Honda will accept to be the best motorcycle after BMW. And I think that it is their vision. As in the cages world...

1600 is a fantasm.
1300 is a real pleasure.
1100 was perfect...
Tomorrow never exists. Let's live and enjoy this day with the fortune we have to be in good shape... Won't last over the next 20 years to come...
The best bike is the one with a partner for a long travel, with friends talking about everything but no politics allowed... Just farkles. And the weather predictions...

Attachments

Bike
'06 ST1300A

Not me. I happen to think there is a good market for a true replacement for the ST though.
I think that it would be fairly easy for Honda to adapt the VFR1200 platform into a "true replacement for the ST". And I would be interested in it.

I just switched to stock pipes and I keep hitting the rev limiter now because I simply can not hear the engine...at all...at higher speeds, and I have very good hearing.
I find this difficult to believe, unless you have a very quiet helmet and very good earplugs. BUT, the only times I'll hit the rev limiter I'm seriously twisting that throttle, and I can hear the intake roar. I know I'm going to hit it, and either back out of it a bit or shift, unless I'm focused on traffic/pointing the bike, etc, and less on precisely what the engine is doing.

I have also found myself in 4th gear on the highway several times because I simply can't hear anything except wind noise and a tiny bit of ST whine now.
When toodling along without vigorous application of the throttle, I've had the same thing happen.

If all Honda does is making some changes to the plastic, I'll keep my ST until it stops moving, then find a clean, low mileage 1300 to replace it with. I'm not going to spend extra money on something with some different plastic without some real changes to go with it.
110% agreement.

If Honda wants to compete with the other brands, they need to offer what the other models do, such as cruise, power outlets, upgraded suspension, and better instrument cluster that can actually be seen in daylight. Then come up with something revolutionary the others don't have...and watch the sales numbers climb.
What would that "revolutionary" thing be? Airbags? Seriously, as far as affordable tech on a motorcycle, I can't think of anything that we would want that isn't on the K1600. Maybe electromagnetic recuperative suspension, but AFAIK that isn't even on any cars. Now, there are some good things on the K16 (your list, plus the active headlights) that I'd love to see on the next ST, as well as some stuff I can do without, but I'm at a loss as to what's possible that BMW hasn't already deployed.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

The same bike with ccontrol and larger bags as we find on GT1600. But at a reasonable price...

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

If there is a wish list I believe these would be fair to honda and good for the customer;

1 cruise control
2 hid lights
3 heated grips
4 VFR1200F type differential (small and fully lubricated no flange and heat and less rear wheel weight).
5 Built in gps and sound system with radio, bmw type handle controls for all that.
6 traction control

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #

A real factory seat.

Adjustable sport touring oriented suspension.
Other then that, the reason I bought the ST is that it was a blast to drive, fit my pillion perfectly and was reasonably priced compared to the competition.(I bought a leftover) So please make 2 versions.....A stripped down ABS version with none of the electronic gizmo's but with the good seat and suspension and a full blown tricked out blue tooth enabled NAVI/XM (out of my price range) version for the rich guys.

Either way though I'm still keeping mine, it was bought for seat of the pants thrills and the wife loves it. Its gonna be a hard act to follow.

STOC #

If there is a wish list I believe these would be fair to honda and good for the customer;

1 cruise control
2 hid lights
3 heated grips
4 VFR1200F type differential (small and fully lubricated no flange and heat and less rear wheel weight).
5 Built in gps and sound system with radio, bmw type handle controls for all that.
6 traction control
7 lower gravity center
8 auto off flashers
9 anti theft electronic key
10 1 extra gear

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #

1. Less weight, with the same or better power to weight ratio.
2. Better seat.
3. Cruise control.
4. Better suspension, with adjustment on forks.
5. Heated grips.

My '04 ST1300 has lots of years left in it, considering we only get 6 months of summer here, but I'd like something my wife and I can tour on that doesn't tip 700 lbs before we even climb on, won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain and won't break the bank to buy. Put the ST on a diet and throw in the VFR's 170 hp motor and I'd be interested.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #

1. Less weight, with the same or better power to weight ratio.
2. Better seat.
3. Cruise control.
4. Better suspension, with adjustment on forks.
5. Heated grips.

My '04 ST1300 has lots of years left in it, considering we only get 6 months of summer here, but I'd like something my wife and I can tour on that doesn't tip 700 lbs before we even climb on, won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain and won't break the bank to buy. Put the ST on a diet and throw in the VFR's 170 hp motor and I'd be interested.
I think you just described the 2013 FJR.

Bike
2006 ST1300

9 anti theft electronic key
Yea, because the ST is in such high demand. Personally I prefer simplicity for the basic systems. The rest of the list is good though!

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

Yamaha is building the Honda we all want. :D
Everybody but Honda is building the Honda we all want.

Honda is building lawn mowers and home equipment.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #

I think you just described the 2013 FJR.
+1 the 2013 FJR 1300 has just about everything ( stock!) everyone is asking for on the 'next' ST except a sixth gear. The stock seat is even 'livable' (tho it could be better)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

Yea, I think Honda will be forced to do something, they are not going to sell those bikes as easy as before. I would go with yamaha too, if i were to buy new one. Triumph Explorer 1200 is around the same price range and gives almost everything its been asked for. Except cheaper 2nd hand parts that you can get for honda.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

except a sixth gear
Why do people always ask for a sixth gear? Given the space in the cavity, each gear would have to be weaker (narrower) to allow for 6. Taller gearing? Okay, not the same thing. With enuff torque (which these bikes have) 4 speeds would probably be enuff. I often short shift 1 > 3 > 5 as it is.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

George I never got that either. WOT in 5th you're already running out of oomph before the rev limiter.
It's possible a taller gear would get you better (or worse) MPG at say 80mph.

HISS would be a negative for me as would CANbus LINbus mouseBus etc...

No idea what ma Honda is up, to but I don't see the ST market high up on their priority list.
Small saturated market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom