Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
So with that contraction, what category does the NM4 fall under? Besides b-ugly!
Funny!! I thought the NM4 was the beginning of the end for Honda. :confused:

Is it a cruiser? Is it a racing bike? Is it a fish?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
For many reasons I'm pretty certain Honda will not be introducing a replacement for the ST1300

If you have an older or high mileage ST1300 and need/want to change to a newer bike you always have the option to purchase a newer/less travelled ST1300. I still see lot's of 2010 - 2012 ST's advertised with 15,000 - 20,000km. Then transfer all/some of your accessories to the newer bike and sell off the old ST for whatever you can get for it or keep it as a parts bikes.

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Seems like it was not very long ago that I saw my first Pan European and immediately wanted one. It looked amazing and it even had a bit of cred because the Plods (translation: Po-Po) were riding them, so it must be good. Back then people were a bit awed when you turned up on one, which was rather nice. You felt like you were riding the absolute best that Honda had to offer (respect to the Gold Wing peps) and it made you feel fantastic. You'd treat FJ, R1200 and Connie riders with a slight measure of disdain because their machines were.... well let's face it they just didn't measure up because they weren't STs.
Today, different story. The new, revised, up to date versions of the bikes we used to scoff are having the last laugh (well sort of in the case of the Connie, as it's what we refer to in the UK as mutton trying to pass for lamb). Whilst at one time we were out there on the leading edge of technology we have now been relegated by Honda and the passage of time without any significant updates to: "classic" status. And while there's nothing wrong with that, it's just hard to get your head round the sound of it.

Embrace it and continue to enjoy the ride.

With it's shorter wheelbase and low center of gravity, the ST handles great. It stinks that Honda spends time and money on some wierd models instead of improving the ST with 30 more horsepower, 75 lbs less weight and updated styling. At least get rid of the "V" vagina rear taillight ! I loved my 2010 for over 50 k miles but went back to an FJR for more fun. I don't regret it but know the ST could be better than an FJR with some changes, you can't beat a V-4 in my opinion.

Bike
2003 ST1300
went back to an FJR for more fun.
what's your definition of fun? I rode an FJR and didn't buy cuz the ST is way more my-kind-of-fun--engine and handling wise. Multiple drive modes, heated grips, and cruise control really aren't that fun to me. I guess MMV.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
what's your definition of fun? I rode an FJR and didn't buy cuz the ST is way more my-kind-of-fun--engine and handling wise. Multiple drive modes, heated grips, and cruise control really aren't that fun to me. I guess MMV.
Ironically, cruise control, ride modes and heated grips aren't fun until you take the ST1300 out for it's intended purpose: sport-touring. And, as people drive me mad saying the ST1300 is sport-TOURING, I acknowledge that the ST1300 is a touring motorcycle. By the time my 800th mile of the day starts ticking on the odometer, I'm dying for ride modes, heated grips and cruise control.

Moreover, these are relatively simple features that Honda could add to the ST1300 without having to retool the entire works. If they wanted to change nothing but the fairings and a few additional features, they could easily do so. Heck, a lot of people would replace their current 1300 just to get these new features and the line would be reborn.

It's Honda's practice of stagnating the ST1300 that baffles me. It would be so simple to refresh the line. Even keeping the luscious motor it currently has.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
It's Honda's practice of stagnating the ST1300 that baffles me. It would be so simple to refresh the line. Even keeping the luscious motor it currently has.
Someone at Honda keeps overthinking things. Just like the F6B they didn't want to put cruise-control on. If they put cruise on the ST then why would anyone buy a Wing at another 10k?

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
In my opinion, Honda has given up on the ST market. Not enough volume? Which I think is a self-inflicted wound. They failed to keep up with the technology and have the price too high compared to the competition. They are doing the same thing with the GoldWing, only the GoldWing is still in production. Honda has not made a ST1300 in 5 years or more. The market seems to have gone to the ADV group and is were Honda seems to be investing their R&D.

Let's face it, the ST1300 is a dinosaur. A really great one, but it is extinct as far as Honda is concerned.

JohnConner
:rd13:
: bgw1:

STOC #
In my opinion, Honda has given up on the ST market. Not enough volume? Which I think is a self-inflicted wound.
The 1300 had a limited user base in an era when sport touring bikes sold relatively well. What makes you think they are making a bad decision by walking away from this category altogether today? I know of no one, beyond previous ST owners, who would be half interested in a new ST. Smaller displacement dual sports are where it's at right now.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The 1300 had a limited user base in an era when sport touring bikes sold relatively well. What makes you think they are making a bad decision by walking away from this category altogether today? I know of no one, beyond previous ST owners, who would be half interested in a new ST. Smaller displacement dual sports are where it's at right now.
Triumph has been having problems selling the Trophy. Part of it was their fault as the 2012 (Europe)/2013 (US) introduction bikes had lots of problems. Mine has been drama free after the almost constant trips to the dealer in the first year, but sport touring bikes are just not big sellers. I tried to do the adventure bike thing, but I love a fairing and windscreen when it's cold.

Top Bottom