Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

Pull fuse "A" and an ABS bike will turn itself into a non-ABS bike.
--Mark
shh.. they'll add a switch change the color and up the price a grand...

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200

The best design/engineering not only incorporates today's "wants" but also anticipates tomorrow's "needs". The features and abilities we did not know we needed and then wonder how we ever got by without them.

I guess what I'm attempting to convey is that if Honda only gave us what we are asking for the bike would be uninspiring and soon forgotten. Although, if they anticipate future needs/demands as well as addressing the current, the bike could be iconic. FWIW

Bike
K 1200 GT

"The best design/engineering not only incorporates today's "wants" but also anticipates tomorrow's "needs"...."

True enough. Hard to read the future and the competition on a 10-yr product cycle. Shorten the cycle, respond to changing needs quicker.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

First I've read about a wheel bearing problem. What are the symptoms that identify there is one . . . when out on the road?
Shuey
Thanks Tom and Joe for the bearing response. 3 bikes, 48k, 99k and working on 68k and no problems so far. Good to be prepared.
Apologies to everyone else for . . . the unintended hijack!

Shuey

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thanks Tom and Joe for the bearing response. 3 bikes, 48k, 99k and working on 68k and no problems so far. Good to be prepared.
Apologies to everyone else for . . . the unintended hijack!

Shuey
I was thinking the same thing about "bearing problems". The poster said wheel bearings but he probably meant drive flange bearings. I did not have to change a drive flange bearing until 96,000 miles and a thousand miles or two later I replaced the caged roller bearings in the steering head. If these are an issue with the bike I'll take them.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Well, 1st off... if they're going to replace it... It's already been designed and tested... so all of this is a bit late. It's either sitting in a locked up vault and only one person has the combination or.... it hasn't been designed yet and this isn't late.. we'll see.. not sure they even look at the site, would be cool if they did.
+1 It's been in the works for a while now... may even been back to the drawing board a time or two with the K16 and Triumph's hitting the road too.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

On the positive side you end up with a bike that . . . doesn't break down, is reliable and everything it has works well for a smaller niche group of riders. Hopefully I'll be able to find another ST1300 should anything happen to my current STead. I'm guessing there are still a few in crates stashed around the country. :)

Shuey

PS: BTW, just got an iPhone 4s at a price 75% lower than it was just a few months ago!

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT

that anticipation for the new phone was going to cannibalize sales of the current models, so the company expected that the following quarters would be slow and below expectations for the company. What would happen to Honda's sales if word came out that they had a brand new, high tech ST coming out next year
This is exactly how/why I got my 2000 Golodwing dirt cheap - everyone already knew the 1800 was coming out.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

Yeah, but how many brand new ST1300s do you think they're selling these days?

hogieman1018

Hogie
Bike
Black 2010 ST

I did not read every post but my only change to the bike would be the darn seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

If Honda, Yammie, Kaw etc don't already have ownership in the seat manufacturers, they should. ;-)

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #

They dont, but they have brother in laws working over there that need the jobs, hence the AWFUL factory seats!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

All of this talk about replacing the ST1300 and most of you haven't even broken your bikes in yet! Sheesh!

I stayed with riding mid 80's V4 Sabres because I liked the looks and the "Appliance" of the fairings, saddlebags, cooling and shaft drives. Those were import features of the bikes for me and even though there were a number of bikes that could have taken over for the Sabres for me, I was satisfied with them, other than having to work on them all the time.

Not until Dave(H) bought his ST1300 and started raving about it, did I even give it a second look. I still might be riding my Sabres if it wasn't for Dave (I don't like changing things that work well for me...drives my wife nuts, I'm still wearing Harness boots, like I use to wear when we first met back in Sept of 1973)!

Now that I HAVE broken in my ST1300, I can say that it does the job I need a motorcycle to do and very well at that. So, with maybe 10, 15 maybe even 20 (if I am so lucky) years of riding left, and lots of ST1300s out there (one problem with the Sabres; only 4 years of the V45/700s and two years for the V65), I'm sure I won't have to be looking for a "replacement" bike, other than picking up newer ST1300s! :D

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

I have been riding all over the world for 34 years, come down to Louisiana and go for a ride.
I find it difficult to believe that anyone can regurarly out perform ABS when magazine test riders can't do it regularly. Even the ones that could do it took several trys, something you don't get in the real world. some of those guys are pretty good riders too.

Bike
99 ST1100

I do believe a well trained rider with lots of practice can stop better than ABS but only in a situation where cones are setup and both riders are supposed to begin braking at the 1st cone... but, it would probably take a few tries and throw water, wet leaves, bad pavement in the mix and I feel ABS wins. The linked brakes on the ST are another thing that make even the non-ABS bikes brake so well. So, maybe in a planned situation non-ABS beats ABS but I don't typically plan any of my panic stops and ABS has helped ME out a lot. Most aren't going to practice braking, I'm not saying they shouldn't, just saying they won't do it so ABS is a great way to allow the technology to help you when you didn't go out and do the training you should... I also think it doesn't matter how long you've been riding or how good a rider you are, every one of us faces those panic stops and I'd rather have ABS on my side, just my opinion and every one has one.
Well said! I have no idea what my next bike will be...but I know it will have ABS.

While it's probably true that under ideal conditions an expert rider can out-perform ABS, I'm not an expert rider and conditions are seldom ideal...

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

I read the study about ABS brakes vs. a trained, professional rider braking on the same target. The study showed that yes, indeed, that some professional riders were able to bring their bikes to a stop in a slightly shorter distance than the ABS bike.

HOWEVER?

The test one odd quirk to its methodology. The rider on the ABS bike was given only ONE opportunity to stop his bike. The non-ABS riders were given practice runs and up to a dozen attempts before their best three stops were counted in the test.

That heavily weighs on the conclusion of the test. It's clear that in a sudden or emergency situation, an expertly trained, professional rider can bring his bike to a stop in a shorter distance than an ABS-equipped bike so long as he can make a dozen or so practice runs at stopping before he actually has to stop the bike. Whereas a rider on an ABS-equipped bike doesn't need to practice in the few milliseconds needed to bring his bike to a stop.

Give me ABS, thank you.
I've read the same thing in several magazines, Ride and Visor Down in the UK and Cycle World and Motorcyclist in the US. There's too much evidence out there to dispel the myth that a "good" rider can outperform ABS in the real world.

Bike
'04 ST1300

Totally with Mellow on his ABS views in a true panic stop. In a true panic stop its all over before you even know something happened. No time to think! Barely enough time to react. Practice all you want, if you dont have time to think it aint gonna do you much good. If you think otherwise you are just fooling yourself. Dont miss understand, practicing emergency stops is an absolute must but will only go so far in improving reaction time. There is a difference between emergency stops and a true panic stop. Went down once when a herd of deer ran out from behind a hill and crossed the road in front of me in the dark. It was a true panic situation. Grabbed to much front break and the front wheel tucked under. Down I went. I have little doubt that ABS would have prevented front wheel lock and most likely kept me from going down. Although going down (low siding) in this situation may have been the best option. May have kept me from becoming one with the deer. I'm 56 and got my first bike before I could legally ride on the streets. Had a mini bike before that. I've been on two wheels for 45 years or so, about 40 on the street.

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

F1 cars have stunning brake performance and have the most talented drivers in the world. And yet the F1 Sanctioning Body has outlawed ABS because it took human error out of the race. It was too predictable, too good...it removed human error. To quote from the F1 website, "Braking therefore remains one of the sternest tests of a Formula One driver's skill." I do not have more talent than an F1 driver--I have ABS now and will never buy a bike without out it.

But back to topic... Honda can't please us and I'd hate to be Honda designing the next generation! Look how different the new K1600GT is from the C14 from the new FJR ... different engines, electronics, aerodynamics, suspension, etc. Yet not a single one of the ST segment has commanded the majority of the market share because we are each different and want different things and think those things are paramount (like ABS, or cruise control, or 6-speed, or heated grips, or ... or ... )

I do expect that if Honda has there next ST 'done' and under wraps, they've likely had to rethink it. The Triumph Tropy & K1600GT have been introduced and all the ST segment competitors have updated theirs in the recent few years. The market has significantly changed since 2002, and Honda has done nothing--they've waited too long IMO. My brand loyalty to Honda has greatly faded in the last few years--the competition has newer bikes on the road, gaining experience with them and adjusting them as needed.

Top Bottom