Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
Vstrom 650
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

I think that bike looks ugly,the handlebars look weird,might be ok cruising down big straight highways,can't see that selling in Europe unless to the novelty market,the crosstourer or the new vstrom 1000 look like being my next bike,depending on finances may have to wait a few years and pick up one with low miles for probably 60% of the new price.
If they bring out the vfr1200t though that could be another great option,the weight of the vstrom is a big factor though,think its something like 500lbs.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

I must not be reading the same annual reports you are. What price has Honda paid for its transgressions?

--Mark
Yea, you keep reading annual reports..... woo doo might help too.
I just look at the prices on the dealers and that was 10k for brand new for vfr1200f. Just like reported earlier in this forum... Good luck.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I just look at the prices on the dealers and that was 10k for brand new for vfr1200f. Just like reported earlier in this forum... Good luck.
Still haven't shaken yourself of the notion that the sport-touring segment is of any significance?

--Mark

Still haven't shaken yourself of the notion that the sport-touring segment is of any significance?
Resistance is futile. Lately, I find myself day-dreaming about becoming a rebel. I want to buy black leather and open faced helmets. I need branded merchandise. I want to drink Jack Daniels out of a girl's navel in some seedy bar during bike week. But I want reliability too. Perhaps I should visit my local Victory dealer. And buy Canadian! ;)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

I don't get Honda at all. Do you see people clamoring for that?
You are not alone! Many don't understand them either. That is why some of the non-understandable models of theirs having hard time selling.... Honda says "we do what we like, we quit listening to the market and it is more fun that way. Sometimes we can't sell them but hey, we are having the fun". :D

Bike
'15 FJR ES

I want to drink Jack Daniels out of a girl's navel in some seedy bar during bike week. But I want reliability too. Perhaps I should visit my local Victory dealer. And buy Canadian! ;)
I want to do that too! Reliability is not common with that sort of girl though. Do they frequent the Victory dealerships? I don't think they have to be Canadian, I have seen American girls do this before.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
It is very strange that some friends in this forum retaliated heated grips with their last drop of blood claiming that "it takes millions to do updates, requires trillions of dollars to test" but they don't say a word about air bags added to the bikes. Don't they require billions? Is it easier to put air bag on a bike than a heated grip???
Am I the only one here??? I want cruise control and heated grips tpms and extra ac outlets .... air bags comes the LAST! If it ever comes....
I am not against the air bags in general but motorcycles hit logs on the road sometimes and keeps riding (happened to the person who sold me his bike). Air bag goes on, you are no longer riding my friend. In a car it is not that pronounced as in a bike. Same goes with the seat belt. Just a motorcycle has a seat does not mean you can put a seat belt.
You are taking a smooth turn with 70mph you decided to slow a little and applied the brake and a decent size bird hit the bike. You are leaned 80%, brakes applied (opens the abs trigger), bird hits and you wake up with Saddam, Nixon and Marlyn Monroe. No? I saw a fireman trying to rescue a man in a crash, got close to the steering wheel and it went off for no reason. That air bag is so strong and powerful that they took the firefighter with a cradle. DO YOU GET MY DRIFT?
By all means like air bags, no problem. I believe it shouldn't be a fixed option so I can get cheaper non air bag model and spend my money on cc, tpms, heated grips and so on.
Just don't cry out loud "oooo there is no market for tourers.. that's why.." when those bikes don't sell. The reason is not the lack of market but unsatisfied riders. Give what people want with a decent price, all will be good. Or try to put a power steering on a new vfr1200f and a air bag maybe ashtrays and microwave oven. It is because people love heavy bikes, cumbersome and all. I even see some people put bricks and sand bags just to make their bike heavy. Air bags will be a help too.

--Mark
BMW, Yamaha, Motoguzzi, Ducati Kawasaki, BMW (again with a second model), Triumph thinks the same as myself. Sport touring segment wants what they want. Honda is not capable to give what is needed. Some of their fans crying just because the 12 year old, non updated models are not selling. Please write to them so maybe they can shake their decision making managers. ;)

It is very strange that some friends in this forum retaliated heated grips with their last drop of blood claiming that "it takes millions to do updates, requires trillions of dollars to test" but they don't say a word about air bags added to the bikes. Don't they require billions? Is it easier to put air bag on a bike than a heated grip???
Not sure where you bought your ST13, but my US model came with Honda branded heated grips (with controller) and three (3) power outlets.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

Not sure where you bought your ST13, but my US model came with Honda branded heated grips (with controller) and three (3) power outlets.
I don't think grips or those outlets are standard equipment , at least they weren't on my 2006.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Can't get the grips any more Glen. I couldn't even get replacement parts for the failed controller on my '06.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I have no idea where you bought yours but that not standard for a US ST. You got a good deal.

Can't get the grips any more Glen. I couldn't even get replacement parts for the failed controller on my '06.
It looks like there's a new line of Hondaline heated grips :
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?132664-New-Hondaline-Model-Heated-Grip-Set

Interestingly, my ST13 also came with Gold Wing driver footpegs. Not sure how that happened either. But the Hondaline grip heater kit used to be a common accessory, along with the deflector kits and bag liners (all ridiculously priced).

Speaking to the topic of features vs. weight, I just finished reading a review of the F6B. It was interesting in what Honda left off of the F6B to lighten it up by 70 lbs: nav system, heated seat, reverse gear, cruise control, a bunch of buttons and the top box. This was to save 70 lbs on a 900++ lb bike.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Interestingly, my ST13 also came with Gold Wing driver footpegs. Not sure how that happened either. But the Hondaline grip heater kit used to be a common accessory, along with the deflector kits and bag liners (all ridiculously priced).

Speaking to the topic of features vs. weight, I just finished reading a review of the F6B. It was interesting in what Honda left off of the F6B to lighten it up by 70 lbs: nav system, heated seat, reverse gear, cruise control, a bunch of buttons and the top box. This was to save 70 lbs on a 900++ lb bike.
I'm certain weight savings wasn't what Honda was targeting by creating the F6B... it was to compete with the other Bagger bikes out there. I'd still take the F6B over any other non-sport touring category bagger type bike.

I'm certain weight savings wasn't what Honda was targeting by creating the F6B... it was to compete with the other Bagger bikes out there. I'd still take the F6B over any other non-sport touring category bagger type bike.
I'm pretty sure that weight savings was at the top of the list. Also, I think you can add adjustable windshield to the list of dropped features (although, the aftermarket has already stepped in with and 'adjustable' two piece windshield that has a clear add-on top section).

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Honda stated the F6B was designed to bring in younger riders... by design, the weight savings happened.

Bike
2006 ST1300

I think Mellow's point is that for the "bagger" class this will be competing with, weight isn't usually a consideration when shopping. Any weight loss is most likely a byproduct of hacking off parts.

Honestly I think this thing is ugly and belongs beside the F6b. People comment that Honda doesn't need another tourer to compete with the wing, yet they spent R&D money to come up with two very similar and equally ugly bikes that will compete with each other.

I think Mellow's point is that for the "bagger" class this will be competing with, weight isn't usually a consideration when shopping. Any weight loss is most likely a byproduct of hacking off parts.
I get that. My comment was directed to those who think that the ST13 would be best improved by adding features like cruise control, ESA etc. My point was that a) that would add significant weight to an un-updated ST13 and b) that it was interesting that Honda decided that the market for the F6B didn't require those kinds of options.

I guess if the F6B spends its life sitting in a Starbucks parking lot, it wouldn't matter. Except when you forget and park it nose-in on a downhill slope... ;0

Bike
2006 ST1300

Going with ride by wire like many other brands have would reduce weight very slightly, and adding cruise would only add what the switch weighs.

Can you tell I'm with the group who would be happy with a freshened version of our 1300s?

If I were worried about 10 lbs I'd go to the gym or buy lighter camping gear. I'm not going to beg Honda to redesign the entire bike to shave a few lbs, then put 30 lbs of riding gear on top of my 260 lbs, add in a passenger, and 50+ lbs of cargo.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

I get that. My comment was directed to those who think that the ST13 would be best improved by adding features like cruise control, ESA etc. My point was that a) that would add significant weight to an un-updated ST13 and b) that it was interesting that Honda decided that the market for the F6B didn't require those kinds of options.

I guess if the F6B spends its life sitting in a Starbucks parking lot, it wouldn't matter. Except when you forget and park it nose-in on a downhill slope... ;0
:BDH:

Let's compare the weight of the K16 to the F6B... 705lbs to 767lbs -vs- 842lbs. No reverse on the K16's...

How about those HD's... Road Glide 838lbs... Road King 811lbs... Electra Guide 864lbs... no reverse.

ST1300 725lbs... no reverse. FJR1300 650lbs... no reverse. C14 670lbs... no reverse.

Top Bottom