Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

I get that. My comment was directed to those who think that the ST13 would be best improved by adding features like cruise control, ESA etc. My point was that a) that would add significant weight to an un-updated ST13 and b) that it was interesting that Honda decided that the market for the F6B didn't require those kinds of options.

I guess if the F6B spends its life sitting in a Starbucks parking lot, it wouldn't matter. Except when you forget and park it nose-in on a downhill slope... ;0
No kidding, I used to look where I parked...until I got the wing. I can't imagine trying to back up that F6B up much of a hill. I'm not sure how much they had to remove to get rid of reverse since it uses the starter motor. Doesn't it just turn it backwards while engaging the starter clutch?

I get that too. The thing is, that unlike the other bikes you mentioned, the Gold Wing already has reverse. They removed it from the F6B.

I heard that the aftermarket is already working on a reverse for the F6B. It involves a third wheel and a Briggs and Straton engine.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

The other baggers didn't have it, so they removed it... the Wing and K12LT are the only bikes to have a reverse. There are over 20 components needed to make reverse happen when you press that button... KISS, and drop the weight. The F6B is a different bike... and the F6C will be too.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

... or Custom, don't know yet... F6C was the old Valkyrie model number.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

It's not so much the weight, in the ST's case... it's now having to change the wiring harness, fuse box, switch gear, starter motor... etc etc etc. That costs money to re-manufacture all of that... and a few years to test... feasibility study to see if you will get back those dollars invested.

... or Custom, don't know yet... F6C was the old Valkyrie model number.
I would suggest that the F6C was more of a cruiser than either the F6B or the CTX1300 might be -- at least in looks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I would suggest that the F6C was more of a cruiser than either the F6B or the CTX1300 might be -- at least in looks.
I had one and I disagree... yes, you can tour with it but the gas mileage was horrible. I had the STD, there was a tourer w/hard bags and interstate with fairing and radio/cb controls etc and a larger tank and trunk.. that one was closer to a wing and tourer than the other two but I'd still take the F6B over any valk... sorry valk guys, I've had a valk and 2 wings and the wings win.. I've heard the f6b even handles better than the wings which is hard to believe.

Bike
'15 FJR ES

The F6B is about 60 pounds lighter and carries its weight lower. It almost has to handle better than the 'Wing.

Jamie Elvidge wrote an article a couple months ago comparing the new Triumph Trophy to the BMW K1600GT and she mentioned that the camera man was riding the new F6B. She noted that the F6B made an excellent Sport Tourer and did a good job of staying with the two featured Sport Tourers. She felt that it might have missed it's niche. If Honda had kept the Cruise Control on the F6B, I might... I THINK (for what that is worth) that Honda intended the F6B to compete with the baggers like the Harley Street Glide. I don't think they want it to compete with their own GoldWing. Of course, the Street Glide has an excellent cruise control so maybe Honda did not do enough research.

At least now I feel like Honda is Doing Something. I love my ST1300 but I would feel better if I ever thought Honda listened to any of their customer's concerns. Not that it matters. My money is already spent. Of course one day I might spend money again.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Cruise control is easy to install... The F6B has my attention (with a taller screen of course. :D)

Bike
'15 FJR ES

Cruise control is easy to install... The F6B has my attention (with a taller screen of course. :D)
A taller wind screen is far easier to install than a cruise control. Honda even used a completely different wiring harness so the GoldWing cruise control could not easily be adapted to it.

I find it difficult to not focus on the negatives sometimes but in the end Honda makes some really great motorcycles. I love mine.

I had one and I disagree... yes, you can tour with it but the gas mileage was horrible. I had the STD, there was a tourer w/hard bags and interstate with fairing and radio/cb controls etc and a larger tank and trunk.. that one was closer to a wing and tourer than the other two but I'd still take the F6B over any valk... sorry valk guys, I've had a valk and 2 wings and the wings win.. I've heard the f6b even handles better than the wings which is hard to believe.
I said the Valk had more of a cruiser personality, not that it was a better tourer. I don't equate cruiser personality with touring ability.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

That's why it's called a F6Bagger... not a F6Cruiser... :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

A taller wind screen is far easier to install than a cruise control. Honda even used a completely different wiring harness so the GoldWing cruise control could not easily be adapted to it.

I find it difficult to not focus on the negatives sometimes but in the end Honda makes some really great motorcycles. I love mine.
I've installed the Audiovox CC on several bikes. And there are plenty of instructions on this site for installing the all 'lectric Rosta CC as well. I don't think it would be a problem. Only link to the subject bike wiring harness is a tap into the brake light circuit and a source of 12V.

Bike
'15 FJR ES

I've installed the Audiovox CC on several bikes. And there are plenty of instructions on this site for installing the all 'lectric Rosta CC as well. I don't think it would be a problem. Only link to the subject bike wiring harness is a tap into the brake light circuit and a source of 12V.
George, not trying to argue with you-far from it. I am certain it is easier to install a new windshield than a cruise control, regardless of the instructions!

On the F6B, instead of using the same wiring harness as the standard GoldWing, Honda used a completely different harness. This prevents anyone from using the standard GoldWing Cruise Control. Doing that would also have been much easier than the Audiovox installation.

The point was that Honda could have at least offered the CC as an option. But they did not. Then, they made it impossible to use the "plug and play" of the GoldWing CC. Why? Why would they do that?

Bike
'15 FJR ES

I do like the way the front of the fairing looks. With a full size electric windshield... I too am curious about the exhaust sound.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

It was interesting in what Honda left off of the F6B to lighten it up by 70 lbs: nav system, heated seat, reverse gear, cruise control, a bunch of buttons and the top box. This was to save 70 lbs on a 900++ lb bike.
That doesn't surprise me at all. None of those thing are really necessary or would really be missed by most of the target demographic Honda was creating/aiming for. It it was, they would be shopping for a tourer which Honda already makes.

That weight savings seems to make a significant difference according to those who've ridden both machines. I'll bet just taking the trunk off alone improved handling big time.

Top Bottom