Page 111 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1625

Thread: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011 thumperjdm's Avatar
    Bike
    '15 Trophy SE
    My Gallery

Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ST1300 is lacking on power.
    A false statement. The ST has stronger low-end torque than the C14 and FJR1300.

It does not look good as the other bikes.
    A totally subjective statement. I think it still looks better (more polished) than even the newest FJR.

It is too heavy, heaviest of all...
    A false statement. The K1600GT is heavier.

Has nothing as far as gadgetry except the temperature gauge.
    A false statement. Instant fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, electric windshield, electric headlight adjustment, linked brakes, hidden tip-over/crash protection...

It was not updated for 11 years and no one with the right mind will buy one, brand new.
    A very offensive statement to any of our newer members who recently bought a new one.

I will not buy anything heavier than 650 lb ever again.
    And that of course, is your choice.

so maybe v4 is not the engine for bikes. Maybe if they come up with an inline 4 like cbr engine, that will fix the problems??
    Apparently you're forgetting Honda's history. The V4 engine, starting in the early 1980's (VF Interceptors, VFR Interceptors, Sabres, Magnas) is the engine that won Honda many racing championships, and put many Honda motorcycles into the garages of very happy riders. I have a VFR1200F, and love the engine. I have a CBR1000RR, and love the engine. But, I'd also very quickly buy a new Honda super-sport bike with a V4 engine.

The Honda MotoGP V4 engine seems to work well-enough for a few unknown losers named Marc Marquez, Dani Pedrosa, Stefan Bradl, and Alvaro Bautista--there's a rumor that those guys do quite well around a racetrack.

In addition, you might also be hard-pressed to convince Max Biaggi, who won WSBK world championships on an Aprilia RSV4, that the V4, "is not the engine for bikes." In 2007, Casey Stoner on the Desmosedici would laugh at you too.

Last edited by thumperjdm; 10-09-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    ***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.***

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

That 1261 cc V4 is a great engine for a sport tourer. Sure, it isn't the highest HP or torque but has a flat torque curve and pulls good no matter what gear no matter what rev. Roll on to pass, no need to drop one or two gears like some other sport tourers with peakier curves. It's smooth and gets reasonable economy. It's rep is bullet proof and it stays out of the shop.

All of this doesn't matter though if all you do it troll for comments.

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD
    BMW R 1200RT

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

They would have to improve the ergonomics of the VFR before I would ever choose one over an ST1300. The VFR is a fine bike but it is no Sport Tourer unless your 5'10 or less or don 't mind your legs cramped behind you. I personally like the fact that the ST1300 is kind of tank especially when you do some long hours sharing the interstate with trucks like I did today. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

ST1300 is lacking on power. It does not look good as the other bikes. It is too heavy, heaviest of all... Has nothing as far as gadgetry except the temperature gauge.
    It was not updated for 11 years and no one with the right mind will buy one, brand new. Yes it is reliable (somewhat) and very smooth engine. Comes with 2 side cases which is great.

I will not buy anything heavier than 650 lb ever again. Many people still buying 15$ and up $ bikes, I seen and talk to them. Many people still have money but they don't want to buy an old tank called st1300. (I can't prove it but it sounds just about right.)

Even vfr1200f is on the heavy side for a sport bike (how honda thinks of vfr1200f) so maybe v4 is not the engine for bikes. Maybe if they come up with an inline 4 like cbr engine, that will fix the problems??
    I'll give you $1000 today for your ST13 -- sight unseen. Get it out of your driveway for you.

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Ridingfl View Post
    I personally like the fact that the ST1300 is kind of tank especially when you do some long hours sharing the interstate with trucks like I did today. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.
    This is something I've said many times. If I want a lightweight sport bike that changes lanes by itself every time a truck goes by I'll buy a CBR. The ST is tilted toward the Touring side and I like that. I like that I can carry a pillion and hardly know they are there. Put an average adult (not the 100 lb woman found on the back of most sportbikes) on the rear of most lightweight bikes and they become unstable and scary to ride. Now throw a weekend worth of gear and see how it handles.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2
    Proud member of the Dark Side. 205/50ZR17 GYTT
    IBA #47373

Bike
    2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by nhdiesel View Post
    ... I like that I can carry a pillion and hardly know they are there. Put an average adult (not the 100 lb woman found on the back of most sportbikes) ...
    As much as I like my 2012 ST1300 I'd have to strongly consider trading her if the new bike came complete with a 100 lb pillion
    Never ascribe to malice ...
    ... that which is adequately explained by incompetance.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Bike
    '15 FJR ES
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I think the point is that if you hate the ST1300 so much, get rid of it and get something you do like. If it is so bad that all you can do is to fuss and complain about it on a forum dedicated to it, sell it. While this thread is complaining about the lack of a replacement, you are the only one complaining about the bike itself. If you need a thread for bashing the ST1300 there is probably one on the Concourse or BMW forums.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by nhdiesel View Post
    This is something I've said many times. If I want a lightweight sport bike that changes lanes by itself every time a truck goes by I'll buy a CBR. The ST is tilted toward the Touring side and I like that. I like that I can carry a pillion and hardly know they are there. Put an average adult (not the 100 lb woman found on the back of most sportbikes) on the rear of most lightweight bikes and they become unstable and scary to ride. Now throw a weekend worth of gear and see how it handles.
    A couple of years ago, I owned a '79 GL1000. At the time the Gold Wing was introduced, it was billed as the heaviest production motorcycle ever made. It had a dry weight of 589 lbs. The GL1000 was the most stable motorcycle in heavy crosswinds that I have ever ridden. And I don't think anyone would argue that it was not the most comfortable ride for both rider and pillion in its day.

The ST13 could stand to lose 100 lbs.

Bike
    2004 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Agree Glen, but how?
    Take away 2 gallons of fuel? You should hear the COG guys complain about 5.8 gallons. FJR guys complain that the bike is difficult if your over 5'8".
    I might be happy with some updated instruments, 50 pounds and a TURBO All under 15K
    I just don't see a return on the investment Honda would have to make to revamp a new sport tour.
    Funny to hear guys who weigh over 240 pounds complain about how heavy it is. Want a lighter bike take it off your A**.

Bike
    09 Concours ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

The range on the C14 is no worse than a Wing... so coming from a Wing to a C14 was no big deal... after 200 miles, I'm ready for a break.
    STOC# 5294 IBA# 27157

+ New Posts
Page 111 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast