Page 111 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1623

Thread: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

  1. #1101
    Your Humble Scribe Bones's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 BMW R1200RT
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    western Mass
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,296
    2014 Miles
    010096

    My Gallery

    Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlenT View Post
    I can't think of any other reason, other than cost and profit, that the VFR1200T was not released.
    What other reason would there be? If we assume that Honda is in business to make money, which I think is a fair assumption, it's pretty safe to conclude that it doesn't want to market products that it does not believe will return a profit. If or when Honda has an ST replacement they are ready to start selling, they will tell the world. Until then, we will be in the dark, despite rehashes in Motorcyclist of 4-year-old prognostications from Motorcycle Daily.

    We can guess all we want...it's all conjecture.


    › Site Search for: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?
    Ride. Good.


    ___________________________
    Reading material: MotoBones.com

  2. #1102

    Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlenT View Post
    There are a number of discussions going on here. One is about the possibility of Honda releasing the VFR1200T and possible reasons why Honda (may have) backed down from that decision. If Honda released the VFR1200T, then it would be based on the shared technologies of the other VFR1200 releases, which means shared costs of development and lower pricing. However, if the VFR1200T was real, then all the evidence points to Honda backing away from releasing it. That suggests (at least to me) that Honda decided that it could not sell enough VFR1200Ts at a price which was competitive with the FJR and it wasn't going to be able to break into boutique markets occupied by companies like BMW.
    The other discussion is why Honda is been steadily raising the price of the ST1300. Again, it seems to point to the idea that they are losing money on the ST13, rather than turning it into a cash cow (like the R1200GS). It just doesn't sell well enough.
    ...
    Maybe the evidence points to them backing away, or maybe it points to a delay. The 1200F came out in 2010. The 1200X in 2012. I still think there is a good chance the 1200T will show up in 2014, maybe next month in Milan but more likely in February. One way or another, we will know something soon because I can't see honda leaving the 2012 ST1300 on their web site after there 2014 line has been completely introduced. Either the 1200F comes out or a 2014 ST shows up or the ST or anything like it just disappears from Honda's line.

  3. #1103
    Natural Rider Enhancement Blrfl's Avatar
    Bike
    Fast Blue One
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    46
    Posts
    10,197
    Tip Overs
    1
    My Gallery

    Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlenT View Post
    The other discussion is why Honda is been steadily raising the price of the ST1300. Again, it seems to point to the idea that they are losing money on the ST13, rather than turning it into a cash cow (like the R1200GS). It just doesn't sell well enough.
    So, of course, if you want more people to buy a product that isn't selling, the logical thing to do is increase the price.

    Why the price of an ST keeps going up has been covered numerous times, including once in this thread just over a month ago and in slightly more detail here.

    --Mark
    Wizzzzzzzzzzzz What's a Blrfl? ... Shameless plugs: STWiki

  4. #1104
    oslin2012's Avatar
    Bike
    ST1300
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
    Posts
    38
    My Gallery

    Re: isappointed

    Ur correction Bmcdonau, the FJR is 2 kg heaver than the Pan1300 according to my stats
    Keith

  5. #1105
    GlenT's Avatar
    Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    715
    Tip Overs
    1
    My Gallery

    Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia.Bob View Post
    Maybe the evidence points to them backing away, or maybe it points to a delay. The 1200F came out in 2010. The 1200X in 2012. I still think there is a good chance the 1200T will show up in 2014, maybe next month in Milan but more likely in February. One way or another, we will know something soon because I can't see honda leaving the 2012 ST1300 on their web site after there 2014 line has been completely introduced. Either the 1200F comes out or a 2014 ST shows up or the ST or anything like it just disappears from Honda's line.
    As an aside, one could reasonably assume that the VFR1200 based CrossTourer might have a reasonable chance of selling well in North America, given the growing popularity of the ADV market here, yet even that existing Honda model was not introduced here. That indicates that even the costs of distribution and support have an impact on what Honda decides to sell and where.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."

  6. #1106
    Your Humble Scribe Bones's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 BMW R1200RT
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    western Mass
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,296
    2014 Miles
    010096

    My Gallery

    Re: isappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by oslin2012 View Post
    Ur correction Bmcdonau, the FJR is 2 kg heaver than the Pan1300 according to my stats
    Keith
    2014 FJR1300 weighs 637 wet (639 wet for CA model)
    http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/spo...0/0/specs.aspx

    2012 ST1300 weighs 730 pounds wet
    http://powersports.honda.com/2012/st...fications.aspx

    Both manufacturers indicated that these weights are for bikes with all standard equipment, all fluids, and a full tank of fuel, ready to ride.

  7. #1107
    bmcdonau's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,606
    My Gallery

    Re: isappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by oslin2012 View Post
    Ur correction Bmcdonau, the FJR is 2 kg heaver than the Pan1300 according to my stats
    Keith
    Yamaha's website says the FJR weights 637 lbs and Honda's website says the ST has a curb weight of 730 lbs with ABS. The Honda figure is with a full tank of gas while Yamaha says its a "wet" weight.
    Dennis
    1970 Honda SL-100, 1974 Honda XL-350, 1975 CB400F,1983 Honda CB1100F
    2008 GL-1800, 2012 Tiger 800 XC, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE

  8. #1108
    bmcdonau's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,606
    My Gallery

    Re: isappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    2014 FJR1300 weighs 637 wet (639 wet for CA model)
    http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/spo...0/0/specs.aspx

    2012 ST1300 weighs 730 pounds wet
    http://powersports.honda.com/2012/st...fications.aspx

    Both manufacturers indicated that these weights are for bikes with all standard equipment, all fluids, and a full tank of fuel, ready to ride.
    I didn't realize you beat me to it! Even though the Yamaha was lighter I went with the Triumph because it was closer to the ST in ergonomics.

  9. #1109
    Your Humble Scribe Bones's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 BMW R1200RT
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    western Mass
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,296
    2014 Miles
    010096

    My Gallery

    Re: isappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by bmcdonau View Post
    Even though the Yamaha was lighter I went with the Triumph because it was closer to the ST in ergonomics.
    Hard to go wrong with either!

  10. #1110

    Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlenT View Post
    As an aside, one could reasonably assume that the VFR1200 based CrossTourer might have a reasonable chance of selling well in North America, given the growing popularity of the ADV market here, yet even that existing Honda model was not introduced here. That indicates that even the costs of distribution and support have an impact on what Honda decides to sell and where.
    True. How annoying it would be if the 1200T were released... but not in the US.

+ New Posts
Page 111 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •