Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

Although going down (low siding) in this situation may have been the best option. May have kept me from becoming one with the deer.
I doubt that. Rubber has more traction and stops faster then fiberglass.

Bike
Super Tenere

Curious where you learned this.
Bones - You beat me to the punch with your question!
I know a few folks with Honda Corp and even they don't know these kind of things (or at least they're not talking). -JEP-

Last edited:

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200

Being a part of a "small minority" is one of the things I enjoy most in regards to riding an ST. "What kind is that", "how fast does it go", "is that a Beemer" are all questions I get regulary. Being in the minority does have it's drawbacks though. Longer product lifetimes for one.

Far from scientific, my impression from lurking around this forum, that a large portion of frequent posters are intent on making their ride more comfortable. Riser blocks, MCL blades and RDL end up changing the seating position and IMHO making the ST more Goldwingish. I've wondered what percentage of ST riders ride their STs primarily stock?

The term/category Sport Touring has certainly changed over the years beyond technological advances. If I were closer to 40 than I am to 60 years old I'd want more Sport. But alas I find myself heading towards 60 and doing everything I can to continue riding a "Sport Touring" bike. My wife has standing orders, if I ever come home with a Goldwing, please just put me down.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Being a part of a "small minority" is one of the things I enjoy most in regards to riding an ST. "What kind is that", "how fast does it go", "is that a Beemer" are all questions I get regulary. Being in the minority does have it's drawbacks though. Longer product lifetimes for one.

Far from scientific, my impression from lurking around this forum, that a large portion of frequent posters are intent on making their ride more comfortable. Riser blocks, MCL blades and RDL end up changing the seating position and IMHO making the ST more Goldwingish. I've wondered what percentage of ST riders ride their STs primarily stock?

The term/category Sport Touring has certainly changed over the years beyond technological advances. If I were closer to 40 than I am to 60 years old I'd want more Sport. But alas I find myself heading towards 60 and doing everything I can to continue riding a "Sport Touring" bike. My wife has standing orders, if I ever come home with a Goldwing, please just put me down.
I had a GL1500 and a VFR 750. Now I have an ST set up for touring and an ST set up for sport. I like each better for the purpose than the previous bikes. My Sport ST tours better than the VFR and my Tour ST sports better than the 'Wing. :D

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

...K1600's are not really sport tourers, only the K12 and K13 are ....
Interesting... Is the 1600 sporty? Yes, most definitely. Does it tour? Yes, quite well. Sounds like a Sport Tourer to me. :)

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

I am a recent ST1300 operator and I believe this motorcycle is sold on the engine, leave it alone. I was shocked when I downloaded the maint manual and discovered this high performance machine had so many design flaws in the steering and rear drive bearings (seriously--cheap ball bearings?) The position of the handle bars for a sport touring bike is wrong and the suspension is in need of modification too. These are all things I am having to address and modify just to feel confident and comfortable to operate this machine.
All the above mentioned are simple changes Honda could make without making seriously raising cost of production. I believe ABS should remain an option as I believe a properly trained an experienced rider can maintain better brake control without ABS. I believe digital cruise control should be a factory option as most riders want it. Power outlets located next to the glove box and one in the glove box should be standard.
Radios, communication and GPS options should not be offered as it would bring up the price to much and most riders wish to custom fit these options to their needs anyway.

What everyone needs to realize is that this is your opinion and in no way reflects what is true or factual about the design of the ST1300. It always amazes me when someone claims to be smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.

If you find so many things wrong, in all honesty you should look elsewhere for a bike. Or use your infinite knowledge and build your own to suit what you feel is right.

The ST1300 is fine as it is and hopefully the replacement when it comes will be as good.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

What everyone needs to realize is that this is your opinion and in no way reflects what is true or factual about the design of the ST1300. It always amazes me when someone claims to be smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.

If you find so many things wrong, in all honesty you should look elsewhere for a bike. Or use your infinite knowledge and build your own to suit what you feel is right.

The ST1300 is fine as it is and hopefully the replacement when it comes will be as good.

I am a mechanic by trade so I naturally critique what I ride or work on and if anyone takes what I said offensive I apologize but the ST1300 is an awesome machine. I have been on this forum a bit and have read countless post about "certain" bearing problems. If this is not so please explain to me why so much of this forum pertains to modifications, my point is Honda engineering could have gotten some simple problems corrected years ago, like say improve the ST1300 and keep it around a bit longer, I personally like it but if and when a "replacement" comes along these easily corrected problems will not be in the new model.
I hope you realize that I realize my opinion is my opinion LOL !

Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #

I am in agreement with most of what has been said thus far but theremay be a comprimise to the wish lists of the few. If Honda were to provide the options most people have commented on cruise control, GPS Intercoms etc. as packaged options such as the Golswings have then everybody could get what they want when they purchase High end or stripped depending on their desires. You cannot please everyone but factory options are a good start. The thing I noticed was the suspension How many of us are 150 lbs or less upgrade the suspension for the US market ......

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I am a mechanic by trade so I naturally critique what I ride or work on and if anyone takes what I said offensive I apologize but the ST1300 is an awesome machine. I have been on this forum a bit and have read countless post about "certain" bearing problems. If this is not so please explain to me why so much of this forum pertains to modifications, my point is Honda engineering could have gotten some simple problems corrected years ago, like say improve the ST1300 and keep it around a bit longer, I personally like it but if and when a "replacement" comes along these easily corrected problems will not be in the new model.
I hope you realize that I realize my opinion is my opinion LOL !
That's a natural thing for a mechanic... but, do you know of a bike out there that was made perfect the 1st time? I've never had one in my short riding career. The wing was the closest and when I got it home I started adding stuff to it.. Name a bike and I can probably find a forum where someone is griping about some flaw. They may have been built by computers but still designed by humans and as such, inherently flawed.

The ST1300 does have some issue. The rear flange bearings are a weakness however, not everyone will need to replace them and you just have to check them at every tire change to avoid being stuck anywhere which is something you should do during every tire change regardless of the bike anyway.

You stated so much of this forum is pertaining to modifications. But there's not all that much going on that pertains to design flaws in my opinion... lots of customizations.. but that will always be the case with regards to comfort and personalization of a bike... a company makes lots of identical round pegs but they don't fit in every square hole.. so, they make it small enough to fit in as many as possible and then the customer - one of billions of us - can customize it to make it as 'square' as possible 'for that individual'.. For some, the bike is perfect right out of the box but for most - some modifications are needed..

As for your last statement about keeping the bike around longer... well, if it were a cheap bike like the old C10 was then maybe because it would be at an affordable price point and THAT would be it's selling point, but given it's price tag, it's going to compete with the other companies coming out with new stuff all the time.. so, by NOT upgrading the bike you'll hear a lot of chatter like we hear today - why doesn't Honda upgrade the ST and add this, and that... guess I'll go look at xyz competitor.

.. .hey wait.. I just thought about something... you're a mechanic, why on earth would you want someone to make a perfect anything and put you out of a job.. :rofl1: Your opinions are welcome here BTW.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I am a mechanic by trade so I naturally critique what I ride or work on ... and have read countless post about "certain" bearing problems.
The ST1300's biggest flaw is that it's mechanical, and the idea that Honda or anyone else is capable of turning out a flawless machine doesn't pass the straight face test. Not that you shouldn't critique what they put together, because criticism is what makes things improve.

Some problems aren't so easily corrected, and sometimes you get a batch of parts where the samples pulled for QC passed and a bunch of the rest fail. Honda could build a bike where each part is fully checked before assembly, but the ink on the announcement wouldn't be dry before people started wondering what kind of crack they were smoking when they set the price. Engineering and production are full of compromises.

--Mark

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

hey wait.. I just thought about something... you're a mechanic, why on earth would you want someone to make a perfect anything and put you out of a job.. :rofl1: Your opinions are welcome here BTW.

You should hear us at work while performing maintenance and mods on a helicopter. Eurocopter engineers must work on the factory floor for X number of years before being certified to design airframe structure's resulting in a better designed maintenance friendly aircraft with the operator and mechanic in mind. American helicopter manufactures tend to do the opposite resulting in an over engineered design that is more difficult an costly to maintain. I wonder which concept Honda uses??
My opinion's are mostly for my own amusement, sometimes shared for appreciation yet often misunderstood, (my wife can vouch for that)

Bike
GL1800

So when is the next likely announcement from Honda? Another Euro Bike show? I will take a ST1200 or the Crosstourer....import one of them!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

So when is the next likely announcement from Honda? Another Euro Bike show? I will take a ST1200 or the Crosstourer....import one of them!
Well.. that's what I thought at 1st but even the nc700x is showing 2012 year model and I'm sure they'll come out with a 2013 model... so, MAYBE the Atlanta IMS show will be when things are announced - might be nothing more than their website updated... who knows, we sure don't ..

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

K1600's are not really sport tourers
I think they're what sport tourers have become, at the high end anyway. That motor is a silken beast, at least for the 30 or so miles I rode a K1600GT. It's high strung and powerful, like a sport bike, and I bet it can tour with the best of them.

Bike
ST 1300 AC
STOC #

If they make an improved ST I will look at it after it has a year under its belt. Cannot wait any longer as I promised the wife that this would be my last bike now that I am retired. Bring it on.

Bike
GL1800

Well.. that's what I thought at 1st but even the nc700x is showing 2012 year model and I'm sure they'll come out with a 2013 model... so, MAYBE the Atlanta IMS show will be when things are announced - might be nothing more than their website updated... who knows, we sure don't ..
Will be following the US Show news. Just maybe a USA Crosstourer.

I note that EICMA 2012 show is scheduled for 15-18 November in Milan. They announced the Crosstourer there last year ....and I think the prototype the year before that.

If it happens ....the ST1200 will come there!

I had a chance to see a USA Ducati Dearler show in October but no new bikes just rather attractive pillions....very attractive but no V4s just twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike
GL1800

Shame on you, Todd!
How much longer can a guy wait? Who knows if Honda does not deliver I may have to get a Mellow S10 or even a Multistrada. I have been looking at a few bikes. No 2013 Multistrada at the Duc Dealer event but I am thinking twins may not be that bad.

Edit looks like my event picture was deleted.....probably due to no V4s.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

I'd really like a lighter bike, but most of the new sport tourers seem to be getting bigger, not smaller. The Triumph Spring St seemed like a winner-smaller, lighter, simpler. I was even okay with the chain. Then I sat on one and realized I couldn't do big miles with the sporty ergos. I don't think you can satisfy everyone with a bike, but the prolblem is all the bikes are starting to look alike with all the same features.

Top Bottom