Page 62 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

Bike
    2013 Super Tenere
    My Gallery

Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by nhdiesel View Post
    I chose not to buy new because I saved a couple thousand dollars over the new price; I knew I wanted to farkle the bike, and didn't want to wait until the warranty was up; dealers up here just don't do test rides; and dealers up north rarely offer the perks of new bike buying, such as a discount on accessories purchased with the bike. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I chose not to pay a premium price for a bike I would have lots of restrictions on. The dealers are helping to push customers away as much as the outdated styling.
    I'm not sure about restrictions on a new bike. I added several things to my ST without risk of voiding the warranty.

Your last post bolsters my previous one also. Why go buy a new one when you can pick a ten year old version of the same bike at a fraction of the cost? If Honda had revised the ST somewhere along 2008 maybe this would not be such a problem for them as people would want a newer bike with, hopefully, new features. Instead, they chose to leave the ST alone for 11years. Why? Because they haven't sold enough to justify the cost of retooling OR they don't feel that there are enough buyers in the future to justify the expense. Until either of those changes, the ST will remain the same or they kill it outright to keep from being embarrassed by trying to sell a brand new version of an 11 year old bike for $18K. Under these uncertain economic conditions which do you think is most likely?
    Mike
    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way" Viktor E. Frankl

Bike
    01 ST1100
    Tip Overs:
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Honda put their money into the Gold Wing and F6B for the American market. They sell them around the world too and nothing else can compete.
    George
    "Live Every Moment,,, Love Every Day,,, Because,,, Before you know it,,, Your Precious Time Slips Away... ---REO Speedwagon, via ACL

Check my albums Picasa

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Honda put their money into the Gold Wing and F6B for the American market. They sell them around the world too and nothing else can compete.
    The F6B is looking like a real success - guessing...

Too bad they didn't come out with it after the Rune - there would have been a lot of Valkyrie guys jump ship for that IMO... There were some of them that bought wings and deleted the trunks to get that same bagger look.

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Lastly; many claim updated cost millions... That I have to say that they don't know what they are talking about... That is SO UNTRUE... To update a heated grip or a cruise control will cost honda NOTHING. They already have the grip, bike and the engineers. They are already there. Please don't fool yourselves... If you want to change the engine size, yes, it is costly. But that is not the same if you want to change the signal light from yellow to red or to put a better aerodynamic windshield.
    Exactly what I have been saying they should have done around 2007. Most vehicles, not just bikes, have major and minor updates- a major redesign, and half way between major redesigns, an update- usually cosmetic and changes in options. If Honda had changed some plastic, and added the features many of us have been asking for, they would have freshened it up enough to stay competitive for a few more years. Other than the weight (and not all of us complain about that), the ride & handling are very competitive still. Heck, they could have added electronically adjustable suspension while keeping the engine & basic platform the same (or minor tweaks to the engine for more power...always a big selling point!) Making these changes would have resulted in a nearly new model without having to spend the millions on govt testing an all new model would require.
    Proud member of the Dark Side. 205/50ZR17 GYTT
    IBA #47373

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

I personally hope that any redesign of the ST doesn't change it too much. I like the fact that the ST does not have all the electronically controlled accessories that manufacturers are putting on there motorcycles these days. I had an 04 BMW K1200GT before the ST. I had to worry about the power assisted ABS brakes failing suddenly which they did on occasion. As I recall the ABS module replacements were about $700.00 and according to the forums, failures were not uncommon. To BMW's credit I think they did away with the power assisted brakes in later models. Others may differ in there opinion but I don't want any additional electronic extra's that can break or fail. I chose the ST because of its reputation for diesel like reliability. I value that over traction control or even heated grips.

Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ......snipped......
    Bmw's gt1600 is nothing but a suped up st1300 if you look at it. My avatar shows my st and my friends gt1600 and that bike almost same size (not weight) as an st1300......
    This thread is full of opinion and not much in the way of facts. Be that as it may you have included this statement which is easily checked against facts. According to BMW's website the K1600GT weighs 732 lbs with panniers and at least 90% full of fuel. My non ABS ST1300 weighs 700 lbs with no panniers and a 100% topped off tank of gas. I'll attach a pair of weight certificates for my 2005 ST1300. Without panniers it weighs 700 lbs and with panniers and the tire repair kit w/compressor in the RH pannier it weighs 720 lbs. ABS adds 9 lbs. It's not much but the heavier bike is 3 lbs more than the ST1300 ABS.

Dave

Honda SC51
    Honda NC700X

Bike
    2007 ST1300abs
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

You know the weight of the ST. That's awesome. I've been telling everybody 750#. Guess I was a little high, but probably in the ballpark with all my junk in it and a top case.

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Badger what you said about the ST ABS system makes sense. The problem with the BMW power assist brakes were that they were not just limited to when the ABS kicked in. They were like power brakes on a car and engaged any time you applied the brake except when they failed to work due to an electronic glitch. Then you went from power to manual. Manual required a substantially heavier pull on the brake lever then the normal power assisted effort. Even a heavier pull then normal manual brakes. Not something you wanted to deal with too often. On occasion the ABS warning light would come on so that you new that your brakes might be in manual mode. In all fairness to BMW I think it may have been related to a flashing tail light bulb the prior owner added even though it was supposedly a pre canbus bike. Perhaps the bulb flashing was changing the load on the brake circuit that the computer was reading. It didn't seem to do it too much after I removed it, replaced the stock bulb and added a hyper-lites instead with a separate Centech fuse box.

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

I think that BMW dropped the servo brakes from all their models in the mid-2000's. I think I recall that there were a couple of law suits over them. IMO, they were an example of unnecessary technology.

The thing to remember about the K1600 is that it is priced higher than an equivalent GW. I know one GW long-timer who testrode the K1600GTL and liked it, but could not justify the additional $3k +- that it would cost relative to a new Wing.

This kind-of addresses the reason for the question I posed in the poll, that being what 'what are you willing to pay for an upgraded ST replacement'. BMW owners are happily paying a premium for the K1600 and it is a success. But how many of us would pay $25k ++ for a new ST13?
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."

Bike
    09 Concours ABS
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

You won't pay $25k for an upgraded ST... like you said, that's Wing territory. The Wing would be upgraded to address the K16, not the ST.
    Deletery!
    STOC# 5294 IBA# 27157

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118972&d=1338305733[url]

+ New Posts
Page 62 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast