Jackets Transition 3 or Epic jacket?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I'm looking for a cold weather textile replacement for my leather jacket and have narrowed the choice down to either a Tourmaster Transition Series 3 or their Epic jacket, both in hi-viz yellow. I have the Tourmaster Intake Air 3 mesh and have been very pleased with it's performance during the summer, but it's just not suited for the early commutes when the temperatures drop into the 30's. I'm wanting to stick with Tourmaster since I wear their Flex pants and the back zipper will match up. Everything I have read describes these two jackets as being almost identical, so without being able to try them both on, I wanted to get an opinion from someone who has worn both and can tell me the difference. From all the reviews I've read, the Epic may be a little heavier. I'd really like to find a shop that had them in stock where I could try them on and then sit on the bike to see how they feel, but can't seem to find them in stock at any local shops. Any help will be truly appreciated. Looks like for now, it's time to pull out the leather an go for a ride up the Trace this morning. Ride safe.

John

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know about the Transition 3 but I have the Transition 2 hi-vis and really like it. It's my jacket when the temps are 60 and below. Every jacket should have the credit card zipper sleeve pocket.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have had the Transition 2 (in red) for almost 6 years. It has held up well. All the zippers still work and such. Only "failure" has been the little snap that is supposed to hold the collar open; it frayed and finally I just cut it off because my intercom cable would get hung on it.

Take the thermal liner out, add a heated liner (I like WnS) and you are good to temps in the teens! I like the 3/4 length, and the ability of the front zipper to work both ways. I usually zip up the bottom of the zipper 3-4" so the jacket doesn't bunch in front.

The T2 is a pretty heavy jacket; don't know if the T3 is lighter. It does a good job of keeping me dry in light to moderate rain. When I've been in heavy rain I've used a rain suit over it.

Can't say anything about the Epic, but when time comes to retire this Transition, I'll most likely buy a new T3.

How close are you to Rock Hill, SC? Competition Accessories has a big store there, and probably has both jackets in stock...

Last edited:

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
From the Tourmaster site, I see the Epic has 2 features listed that are not listed for the Transition 3:
  • an Aqua-Barrier under-the-helmet hood to eliminate seepage in the collar area; The hood easily stows in a hidden collar pocket
  • Integrated kidney and back support belt easily deploys or stows from a hidden sleeve

One thing missing from both that has me looking for leftover Transition 2s is zippers on the hand pockets. My First Gear mesh jacket only has velcro closures for those pockets, and I am constantly worrying that stuff is going to fall out.

-STeve

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
I believe the Epic is also heavier, although I'm going by memory.

I too have the Transition 2 and really like it. If you're not to partial to the Transition 3, have a look at Revzilla, they still have some 2's available as closeouts for $135 or just under. If you can find your size, it's quite the bargain at that price. Just saying...

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I've had the Epic jacket since last Fall and very satisfied with it. The built in hood is great and feels like a silk/spandex material, lightweight + not bulky but effective. The built in kidney belt is okay but sometimes slips out. However it's easily removable. When not in use it just snaps discretely out of the way.

No leaks in the rain, plenty of pockets and mostly good quality throughout. The hand warmer pockets are zipped, the outer pouch pockets are just Velcro but they provide extra material on the fold over so anything stowed inside is kept secure and dry.

My only gripe with every TM jacket is at least one Velcro tab comes unstitched.

I typically wear my mesh jacket with my heated liner until it gets rainy cold then switch outer jackets from mesh to the Epic. However the liner that comes with the Epic is perfectly comfortable and I've worn the jacket without any liner down to the upper 50's with just a teeshirt. The venting is okay on the Epic as long as its lo 70's. This jacket will be my winter mainstay for the next couple of years as I'm very satisfied with the fit, function and performance. Give it a good look!

Last edited:
Bike
99 ST1100
Take the thermal liner out, add a heated liner (I like WnS) and you are good to temps in the teens! I like the 3/4 length, and the ability of the front zipper to work both ways.
Go with a heated jacket liner and you can wear the mesh jacket year-round (in Tennessee)! I wear my mesh jacket with the rain liner in - as a windbreaker - and my Gerbing jacket liner underneath - that combo is very comfortable down into the twenties or below.

Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #
When I was trying to decide between the T2 and the Epic, it came down to a matter of how much I would be wearing the jacket in low temps. The Epic seemed heavier and I thus thought it might be a bit too warm for most of my riding. I just don't ride that much in really low temps. Most of my riding in cold weather is at 40+ degrees. The T2 is good up to about 80 degrees and down to 30's depending on how you layer under it. One pro of the T2 that might be a con depending on how you look at it is the low collar. When it is warmer, the low collar is nice as it allows more air in around the top of the jacket. But, when cold I wear an Aerostich Wind Triangle (think fleece lined windproof bandana) to take care of the low collar issue. I seem to recall the Epic having a higher collar. I did like the hood feature of the Epic.

I have not seen or tried on the T3, but it looks really similar to the T2 in pictures. If so, you can't go too wrong. If you are looking to save some money, there are probably some good deals on the T2 as mentioned above.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well I finally found an Epic jacket in a store. I checked back at Honda of Cool Springs in the Franklin, TN area and they had gotten in an order of the Tourmaster Epic jackets in hi-viz yellow. Good thing I tried one on. I wear a Large in the Tourmaster Intake Air 3 jacket and assumed I would wear the same in the Epic. After trying on the Epic in a Large size, I found out quickly that I needed an XL. Just my luck, the weather is sunny and 80F for the rest of the week, :D so I'll have to wait a while to wear the warmer jacket. My first opinion is that it's well made with an abundance of pockets, both inside and out. Plenty of vents if you can find all the zippers. This jacket has so many pockets, liners, zippers, and vents that it really needs an instruction manual. Nothing mentioned the jacket having a hood, so if hadn't read about the hood while researching the jackets, I don't know if I would have found it! The hood is concealed in the collar and has a zipper opening that is well covered by a flap. Impossible to see the zipper without lifting the flap. I guess I'll spend some more time exploring the jacket, since it probably has some more pockets that I haven't found yet. Thanks for all the replies.

Now if it will just turn cold and wet so I can try it out. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

John

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I know you already made your decision and it is bad form to resurrect an old thread, but I'll add my $.02 for anyone else that might have the same questions.

I went through this same exact dilemma about a month before you did (sorry, I was not a member here then!) and like you, I struggled with the decision. Of course, I live a little farther south than you. I had ample experience with the Intake Air, series one and two. In fact, Dad was wearing the Intake Air Series One when he crashed his FJR. It performed splendidly by the way.

I chose the Transition Series 3 and I love it. The 3/4 length is great, the look suits my age and riding style, and the jacket does everything I need it to do. I rode from Dalton, GA to Robbinsville, NC on back roads, in the rain with the temp around 46 degrees. The Transition 3 kept me completely dry and warm. In hot weather the multiple vents seem to be as effective as the mesh jacket I wear. This is the one piece of gear I am 100% satisfied with. I congratulate myself for being smart every time I put it on.:)

Bike
FJR1300
Hello,
I suppose it's even worse form to resurrect an old thread a third time but I have some multi year feedback in the Transition 3 that I'd like to share. The T3 is everything Redfish says it is when it comes warmth and rain protection, i love mine and it has served me well, however, it does not cool down enough for me even with the liner taken out and the vents opened. When it gets in the 80s for me, especially in humid conditions, I'll soak the coat from the inside out. I'd call this more of a 3 season jacket, meaning, Fall, Winter, and Spring. I'm heading back to the Ozarks next week and this time, I'll be in an Intake Air 3. The T3 has been an awesome jacket for me and it does so much, which is why I've stayed with Tour Master on the Intake. Good luck all with your decisions

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Hello,
I suppose it's even worse form to resurrect an old thread a third time but I have some multi year feedback in the Transition 3 that I'd like to share. The T3 is everything Redfish says it is when it comes warmth and rain protection, i love mine and it has served me well, however, it does not cool down enough for me even with the liner taken out and the vents opened. When it gets in the 80s for me, especially in humid conditions, I'll soak the coat from the inside out. I'd call this more of a 3 season jacket, meaning, Fall, Winter, and Spring. I'm heading back to the Ozarks next week and this time, I'll be in an Intake Air 3. The T3 has been an awesome jacket for me and it does so much, which is why I've stayed with Tour Master on the Intake. Good luck all with your decisions
Couldn't have said it better. I only use mine when it's 60 degrees or less. I use my Olympia Airglide 3 once it gets warmer. I think the T3 jacket would work great for a bike that didn't block so much wind.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I have the 3 and just had tried a friends Epic, go with the 3. The epic was to tight for my wrist area and the arms and I have small of both.My .02

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well, the wife and I finally had a chance to try out the Tourmaster Epic jackets in the rain on the trip to FerryStoc last weekend. The Epic jacket combined with the Tourmaster Flex pants, kept us dry during the 2 1/2 hour ride in a rain that went from steady drizzle to all out downpour. We were pleased, if not amazed, that we stayed dry considering the amount of water that we encountered. The ride home in 80 degree sunshine was a little warm, but not unbearable due to the many vents on the jacket. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

John and Janis

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Well, here's to bad form for re-re-reviving an old thread.

I wore my Tourmaster Transition Series 3 on my recent trip Out West. I left the mesh jacket at home and followed the wisdom of the LD riding community that it was better to not use mesh in the dry heat of the West. I found that they were right. The jacket worked extremely well. I never once wished I had my mesh jacket. When we encountered the Harley riders in the heat they looked pretty rough at the end of the day. Sunscreen smeared in white streaks across their sweating faces, the bandannas around their heads (DOT and Snell approved of course) were soaked with sweat and their black T-shirts were doing nothing to prevent dehydration. I felt happier than ever with the Transition Series 3.

Until...

The second to last day I was in a steady rain for 129 miles. It never rained really hard, but it never stopped either. Both of the shoulder/arm vents leaked. 3 of the 4 chest vents leaked. Not just a trickle either. I was soaked. I am so disappointed, this jacket is less than a year old and had performed perfectly up to this point. I think I will be contacting Tourmaster.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Re-re-re-reviving this thread...

I have found that the more careful I am with the zippers on the vents and the velcro closures that cover the vents, the more waterproof the Transition 3 jacket becomes. I had all but given up on it but I am back to loving it greatly.

This year my Out West trip was once again in July. The jacket is not as good as mesh in the high humidity of South Louisiana, but once into the drier air of North Texas it keeps my body temp as well regulated as I could hope for. 98 to 100 degrees F with a fierce crosswind was harsh but I fared better than my 3 companions. It rained nearly every day that we were in Colorado and the jacket never leaked. I stayed dry and happy and had to make fewer gear adjustments than my 3 companions.

I like the Tourmaster Transition Series 3 enough that I just ordered another one. This one goes to Pop for his 69th birthday present.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Re-re-re-reviving this thread...

I have found that the more careful I am with the zippers on the vents and the velcro closures that cover the vents, the more waterproof the Transition 3 jacket becomes. I had all but given up on it but I am back to loving it greatly.

This year my Out West trip was once again in July. The jacket is not as good as mesh in the high humidity of South Louisiana, but once into the drier air of North Texas it keeps my body temp as well regulated as I could hope for. 98 to 100 degrees F with a fierce crosswind was harsh but I fared better than my 3 companions. It rained nearly every day that we were in Colorado and the jacket never leaked. I stayed dry and happy and had to make fewer gear adjustments than my 3 companions.

I like the Tourmaster Transition Series 3 enough that I just ordered another one. This one goes to Pop for his 69th birthday present.
I was really happy to read your last post because I am considering getting a Tourmaster Transition 3. I live in Florida, so I am aware this jacket will probably be a bit warm for most riding here, but I can always switch to my Intake mesh jacket. I am planning an extensive ride out to Colorado in late June to attend the inaugural RockStoc event and I just think something like this will be better than the Intake (I absolutely hate having to stop to put in and take out the rain liner!!) and I've been wanting to move to a 3/4 length jacket. Thanks for your reviews.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Re-re-re-re reviving this thread. Janis and I just pulled off our Epic jackets, after about an hour's ride at 70 degrees. We're still pleased with the jackets and have found nothing to complain about. The biggest problem we have had is that every time we put them on while traveling to a STOC event, it rains a couple of inches before we get there. FerrySTOC 2013, ArkanSTOC (twice), SwimSTOC, and others. Haven't gotten wet yet! Looking at the jackets today, they do need to have the bugs washed off of them. I guess it's time for another ride in the rain. :D

John and Janis

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Re-re-re-re reviving this thread. Janis and I just pulled off our Epic jackets, after about an hour's ride at 70 degrees. We're still pleased with the jackets and have found nothing to complain about. The biggest problem we have had is that every time we put them on while traveling to a STOC event, it rains a couple of inches before we get there. FerrySTOC 2013, ArkanSTOC (twice), SwimSTOC, and others. Haven't gotten wet yet! Looking at the jackets today, they do need to have the bugs washed off of them. I guess it's time for another ride in the rain. :D

John and Janis
Too funny!!

Top Bottom