Helmets How do you remove the SHOEI/Multitech/Neotech/DOT decals?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
They are pressure sensitive adhesive stickers. i would imagine very gentle application of heat would do it and/or use of a plastic scraper. One time I removed some of the forehead area sticker on a Multitec with high speed application of water - I rode in heavy rain for about 450 miles and it eroded much of the Shoei name away.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
In Ontario the DOT sticker is a sign the helmet is legal for street use, if you don't have one there is a possibilty you might get stopped by the police. If that sticker peels off easily the sticker is a phony and the helmet won't protect you if you go down becasue it was not made for street use.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
It is the same here in the US but no one enforces it hence all the skull cap helmets with the stick on DOT label the vendor gives you when you buy the hat.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just came across this old thread. As I'd like to remove the huge SHOEI sticker on the front of my new Neotec hat I'll give the hairdryer a try on my old Neo and Multitec. The DOT sticker on the back will stay.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I just came across this old thread. As I'd like to remove the huge SHOEI sticker on the front of my new Neotec hat I'll give the hairdryer a try on my old Neo and Multitec. The DOT sticker on the back will stay.
I'm your huckleberry

Bike
R1200rt
In Ontario the DOT sticker is a sign the helmet is legal for street use, if you don't have one there is a possibilty you might get stopped by the police. If that sticker peels off easily the sticker is a phony and the helmet won't protect you if you go down becasue it was not made for street use.
can you actually buy a helmet that is not DOT and where would one get it??

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
can you actually buy a helmet that is not DOT and where would one get it??
Depending on where you are it could be illegal to sell non-DOT certified helmets. But here in CA there were a couple of 'biker' accessory shops that sold them (German WWII type and pudding cups) for 'off-road' only. Some of these were just the shell with no liner!

I occasionally still see a few of the Artie Johnson specials and a lot of pudding cups on H-D riders but have no idea if they've become DOT certified over time.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
There are novelty shops that sell non legal helmets for decorative uses. Several of them in Port Dover where they sell riding gear too but decorative riding gear nothing that would keep you safe like leather sleeveless vests and fringes.

Top Bottom