PR3 issue

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light or have had similar experience with a PR3.
I am currently in Phoenix, having ridden down from Calgary last week. I am riding with a friend who has a 1200RT. After we got here, the next morning his rear tire was down 10 lbs. No sign of a hole. We pumped it up and rode a bit and it stayed up. After sitting overnight again, it was down 8 lbs. Pumped up and this time we took soapy water and went looking for the problem. We found a very tiny pin hole in center of the tread in one of the grooves. The tire has about 60% of the tread left. This is the second time this has happened to him. The last time, we found 4 or 5 very tiny holes. The tire would lose air when the bike was standing but not while it was in motion. When he change the previous tire out, they could not see anything on the inside of the tire to indicate a problem.
Is it possible for air to literally ooze out of the carcass and when it gets hot, expansion will seal it off? Sounds unlikely, but with no evidence of a puncture, we are stumped. Don't really want to make the hole big enough to put a plug in. May try some RideOn (anyone know where we can get some in the Phoenix area?).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this or had experienced anything like it.

Thanks
Rod

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a set of PR3's with almost 10,000 trouble free miles.
I love these tires ! I am going to try to get another couple 2 to 3 thousand miles before changing them out for ANOTHER set of PR3's.

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I too run PR3's and rode the identical roads with my friend and have no issue. We did ride about 25 miles of gravel/dirt so it is possible that a very small, sharp rock penetrated the tire just enough to cause the problem but there is no sign of damage to the rubber around the hole. My tire is down to the cords (time to call Tim) so it should have been more prone to a puncture. The curious thing is that this is the second PR3, on his bike this year, that has done this.

Rod

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Bit of an update. We put some Ride On in it and it appears to have plugged the leak. The bike is going to be stored for a couple of months now so it will be interesting to see how/if the Ride On holds up.
Rod

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
The finding and diagnosis don't sound like a match to me.

That is kind of what I was thinking. How does a dirty rim equate to a pinhole in the center of the tread???? I've done my share of tires but I'm certainly not a certified tire guy. How about a little enlightenment here???

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The bike is going to be stored for a couple of months now so it will be interesting to see how/if the Ride On holds up.
Rod
I'd definitely store it on the center stand so that it won't tip on its' own if the tire goes flat...

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It is on the center stand with the "hole" at the bottom so any Ride On that migrates down will sit on top of the hole.
Rod

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
That is kind of what I was thinking. How does a dirty rim equate to a pinhole in the center of the tread
Tim may of had a relapse moment...LOL...Were just glad he can still sell tires..

Top Bottom